• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nicolas' gang of fools...

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
About the "Cyclosternum fasciatum" / "Davus fasciatus" / "Davus pentaloris" stuff, here's some clues from a swiss forum (in german):

https://vogelspinnenforum.ch/lexicon/index.php/Entry/38-Davus-pentaloris-Hobby-fasciatum/

Thank you for that link. I have used google translate to get the relevant bit in English
Remarks: According to the World Spider Catalog genus Davus is again considered to be valid and freed from the Synonomyisierung with Cyclosternum. D.pentaloris is traded in the hobby often (fasciatum Cyclosternum) as Davus fasciatus. The species was assigned due to the spermathecae but the type Davus pentaloris, served as a basis of comparison with the sperm bar shape as in Schmidt ready. In D.pentaloris is a rather small permanent tarantula which comes from the dry forests of Guatemala and Mexico. Since this type but is offered from bred for 15 years and precise localities and specific evidence of life are virtually non-existent, it is difficult to give accurate information. In the terrarium, these types hold relatively easily and also grow. The ground should be 10 cm, as this kind also like digging mind.. The substrate should be moistened and every week a little be wetted with water. Hiding from cork or other woods are gladly accepted and consequently used as protection. I could make out no distinct spin behavior and also grave activities comply so far limited. It will often report the speed and startle response of this kind, which I do not can not be said of my animal.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Brachypelma smithi female

IMG_0832.JPG

Aphonopelma chalcodes female

IMG_0835.JPG

Nhandu chromatus female

IMG_0816.JPG

Sam Sam

3 Year Member
I know what you mean about the quality of pictures. I won't even put mine up!! Really nice pics considering though!! Keep them coming.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very nice collection! klassi are not underrated my friend, they're just rather scarce and kind of expensive over here. I know there are several people who have, like me, been wanting one for a long time :) ..I almost bought a three inch female..for three hundred dollars..thats how bad I want one:) Maybe in a few years the prices will be better. I've already decided in not buying any more brachy slings. Their growth rate irritates me. Once again, lovely collection!

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
You are right about klaasi. I had the chance to fall on a swiss guy who was selling about 60 B klaasi (BL = about 3-4 cm) for 40 $ each... I took one (not more, I don't have places left anymore), hoping it would be a female (same as you: the growth rate drives me crazy so I hope it won't be a male!). When at last it molted in my care (after months of waiting...)... it ate/chewed the exact part of the opisthosoma I needed to check for the spermatheca. Damn it! It was impossible to save anything... Then I have to wait some more months again (as I'm not good at and don't really trust ventral sexing...). The suspense is killing me!

Anyway, thanks for your comment and encouragement!

Latest posts