• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

vahurst

3 Year Member
Hi everyone,

I'm a high school science teacher, and was given a tarantula today by someone who was given an ultimatum by their wife to get rid of it. I don't know the guy that had it (friend of another teacher at the school), so I am hoping you all can help me out a bit. I think this little guy (or gal, again, why I need a little help), is super cool, and will make a great class pet. A couple questions:

1. what species is it? I think it is a chilean rose, but I am new to this. I attached a pic.

2. What is the best sized cage and substrate for it? Right now it is in a 8x12 carrying cage. I have a 10 and a 20 gallon aquarium I can use. The substrate in there now looks like pine mulch, and has been turned into a big pile of silk/mulch mixture, except one bare corner where the spider likes to sit (it stayed there much of the day, however, i imagine he is a bit stressed) I gave him a old marker box to hide in, but he hasnt used it yet.

3. What to feed and how much? I was told the spider molted about a week and a half ago and hasn't been fed since. I offered it a couple mealworms I had and it pounced and ate them immediately. What I have read has ranged from a couple mealworms or crickets 2 to 3 times a week, to 1 cricket once a week. Can I feed it ****roaches? (if so, my old school will be a never ending food source!)

Thanks in advance! I am looking forward to several years with my new friend. If there is anything else I should know I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMAG0351.jpg
    IMAG0351.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 21

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok, first up, DO NOT FEED IT CAUGHT FOODS! They can hold traces of chemicals, like pesticides, that can harm your spider. Feed your spider a couple food items a week. This will vary per the individual spider. The best substrate is coconut coir, which can be purchased relatively inexpensively at garden centers. Keep a small water dish, shallow enough the spider can't drown in it. Keep in mind the book lungs are on the abdomen. Size wise a 10 gallon would likely be ok for a mature spider, but you could probably go smaller. Since it is a class pet the 10 gallon tank should be fine, but make sure you have a secure, and preferably, locking lid.

Welcome!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That is in fact a Grammastola Rosea (Chilean Rose Hair)
they do just fine in a 10 gallon tank. It looks like it's on Coconut Husk. Coconut coir would be better. Keep the enclosure dry aside from a water bowl. Provide a hide. )half flower pots work well) and enough substrat to burrow if it chooses.
Rosies are notorious for going off food for very long periods of time, but post moult she shoul eagerly take food. Roaches are a great food source, just don't use wild caught roaches. Crickets are fine too. Offer one cricket, then remove in 24hours if not eaten.
Room temp should be fine as long as it's no lower than 65* no higer than 90* No need for any lights, tarantulas don't like light.
feel free to ask any additional questions.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It does look to be a G. rosea, or Chilean Rose Hair. I would get it off that substrate immediately! Mulchy stuff does not hold humidity and can damage your spider if it hits a rough spot.

Pawandinverts

3 Year Member
1. Species Rose Hair
2. Large Critter Keeper-Coco fiber is the best.-DO NOT mist the cage. (This species hates moist cage.)
3. Feed every 1-2 weeks (I would say superworms or roaches).
This species is very easy to take care of. (MAKE SURE IF STUDENTS HANDLE IT IS CLOSE TO THE GROUND!)
Have Fun! Hope it will get some kids over their fear of spiders! :)

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can't really add to the excellent advice already given, so I will just say congrats on your very pretty spider and welcome to the boards and the addiction lol :)

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome and congratulations on your new pet. Have you named it or are you waiting to find out if its male or female ?

Latest posts