• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the hobby but love it already!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They redid the genus. A Versicolor is now C Versicolor & there's another one that behind with a tongue twisting Y name, fixed it until it broke basically.

Whatever name it goes under, it's a beautiful tarantula and a good first arboreal. Remember, the caresheets are wrong. These are dry spiders, no extra humidity!! They do need an elevated water dish.

DreadedNeith

They redid the genus. A Versicolor is now C Versicolor & there's another one that behind with a tongue twisting Y name, fixed it until it broke basically.

Whatever name it goes under, it's a beautiful tarantula and a good first arboreal. Remember, the caresheets are wrong. These are dry spiders, no extra humidity!! They do need an elevated water dish.
Thanks for the info. I did a hell of a lot of research before actually getting my avic. Im glad i did because some of the first info i read said to keep the enclosure very humid. I continued researching and found better i formation that said not to keep them that humid. It makes sense because they are tree spiders. They live up in trees where there is plenty of breeze. In Suriname it is fairly humid but the humidity here in upstate NY is just fine for the spider without adding extra humidity. I'm sure i may need a little extra humidity in the winter when the air is so dry I cants breath but i will accomplish this by an occasional overflow of the water and a live plant in the enclosure.

I am in love with the avicularia sp. and have been trying to research every one of them. I want them all. In my opinion they are as close to a cuddly spider as one can actually get and most of them have very beautiful coloration.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For my Versicolor, I'm just vigilant about checking the water dish daily. I don't really as add humidity at all unless it's about to molt. That consists of misting the sides or web exactly once and very lightly. They are a dry spider. Even in humid regions, the humidity rapidly drops off at you go up in altitude because humid air is much denser then normal air.

I do use a humidity gauge to ensure that nothing like say spilled water etc is raising the humidity because excess humidity can kill them. You don't always see it condensing either.

DreadedNeith

Yeah. Im doing the same thing. No humidity added. Im just wondering if i might have to overflow the water dish every once in a while come winter time. The air in my house in winter is very dry. Maybe 15 or 20% humidity in the winter.

Latest posts