• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the hobby but love it already!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Mine hides all the time. I hardly ever see it.

My big girl was like that, she'd appear for 2 or 3 days then I'd not see her for weeks sometimes months. I now have 2 slings both around 1" dls, one is the Usambara (orange) which runs and hides when disturbed and the other is the Tete (chocolate) which is much calmer

What about the Togo starburst baboon? I’m interested in acquiring one. :)

Another T with a bad reputation. I've had mine from a sling, now an MM, and he's another that will run and hide rather than stand his ground.

Xinowulf

3 Year Member
My big girl was like that, she'd appear for 2 or 3 days then I'd not see her for weeks sometimes months. I now have 2 slings both around 1" dls, one is the Usambara (orange) which runs and hides when disturbed and the other is the Tete (chocolate) which is much calmer

Another T with a bad reputation. I've had mine from a sling, now an MM, and he's another that will run and hide rather than stand his ground.
Oh I’m gonna have to be careful. I’m gonna end up having a lot of T’s and not much money. :D

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
One word: Pamphobeteus

P machala Persephone molted 6.jpg
P machala Persephone super diva 1.jpg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Both are the same spider Pamphobeteus sp Machala. They are generally kept similar to Lasiodora species but require a bit more moisture. Definitely use a large water dish with frog moss around it. Overflow the dish twice a week, maybe 3 times. The appetite and growth rate is fast.

As far as pamphobeteus goes, there are probably dozens of species our there & some are pricey. All have the Christmas tree pattern when younger which changes to sex and species specific coloration as they grow. They are sexually dimorphic, unlike Acanoscurria or Lasiodora species are in terms of coloration.

Here she is just after molting.

Generally she's been a very calm but pouncy spider. She comes into plain sight on a regular basis but isn't quite as bold as my Lasiodora klugi.

P machala Persephone molted 3.jpg
P machala Persephone molted 8.jpg

Xinowulf

3 Year Member
Both are the same spider Pamphobeteus sp Machala. They are generally kept similar to Lasiodora species but require a bit more moisture. Definitely use a large water dish with frog moss around it. Overflow the dish twice a week, maybe 3 times. The appetite and growth rate is fast.

As far as pamphobeteus goes, there are probably dozens of species our there & some are pricey. All have the Christmas tree pattern when younger which changes to sex and species specific coloration as they grow. They are sexually dimorphic, unlike Acanoscurria or Lasiodora species are in terms of coloration.

Here she is just after molting.

Generally she's been a very calm but pouncy spider. She comes into plain sight on a regular basis but isn't quite as bold as my Lasiodora klugi.

View attachment 31696 View attachment 31697
I love getting into a new hobby! So much to see and learn!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What about the Togo starburst baboon? I’m interested in acquiring one. :)

Those guys are another color form as the OBT, which can be aggressive.

I'd suggest doing M balfouri (maybe even 2 or 3 together as a communal) or H pulchripes, which looks like an OBT with blue legs.

These guys are terrestrials. M balfouri will make elaborate webs and burrows. H pulchripes will also burrow but much less. Males mature out quickly, but that's ok because you can trade them for others.

I traded in my mature male for 2 P vittata slings, a suspect male and suspect female. + 2 or 3 slings if the pairing is successful.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Those guys are another color form as the OBT, which can be aggressive.
l.

OBT is Pterinochilus murinus Usambara, the chocolate form is Pterinochilus murinus Tete - same species just different colour forms.
Togo Starburst is Heteroscodra maculata completely different species.

DreadedNeith

Welcome. I have an avicularia metallica and it looks just like your avic avic. I wonder if I have an avic avic and not an avic metallica or if you have an avic metallica and not an avic avic. Or do they just look that simular?
heres a pic of mine. The whole avic sp. confuses me.
received_1976168585750721.jpeg

Xinowulf

3 Year Member
Welcome. I have an avicularia metallica and it looks just like your avic avic. I wonder if I have an avic avic and not an avic metallica or if you have an avic metallica and not an avic avic. Or do they just look that simular?
heres a pic of mine. The whole avic sp. confuses me. View attachment 31745
No I think you do have the metallica because at the end of the hairs of yours look like fiber optics. I may be wrong though.

DreadedNeith

See , I thought your spiders hakrs also looked like that. It may just be hard to tell from an image and my eyes are not that great so. I guess a. metallica is not a recognized species anyways. I wish they would sort the whole thing out. It sure would make it less confusing.

Xinowulf

3 Year Member
See , I thought your spiders hakrs also looked like that. It may just be hard to tell from an image and my eyes are not that great so. I guess a. metallica is not a recognized species anyways. I wish they would sort the whole thing out. It sure would make it less confusing.
I could be completely wrong because I’m still pretty new to this hobby. :confused:

Latest posts