• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the hobby but love it already!

Xinowulf

3 Year Member
Hello all! I kind of jumped head first into it by already having a aphonopelma seemanni, brachypelma hamorii, and avicularia avicularia. Any kind of advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and I’m glad to be here.
44692D7A-CFAF-4EED-9D2C-33B5518D232F.jpeg
ABF9805F-BCE3-489F-ABB9-506785CA59F3.jpeg
8A6E8B7C-A107-4B5D-AA1C-D08743190731.jpeg

Inky

Hello all! I kind of jumped head first into it by already having a aphonopelma seemanni, brachypelma hamorii, and avicularia avicularia. Any kind of advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and I’m glad to be here. View attachment 31620 View attachment 31621 View attachment 31622

Hey I am pretty new too. I have a Brachypelma baumgarteni (Mexican Orange Beauty) and an avicularia avicularia on the way! Both slings. Welcome. these guys have taught me a lot. Ask any question you may have, they all have helped me a bunch.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Thank you. I tried to do some research on them before I made me decisions. I wasn’t planning on getting the pinktoe but I seen it was in deplorable condition at my local PetSmart and I wanted to rescue it.

Aah the old Avic in a kritter keeper in an acrylic case deal. Yeah those are unfortunate. I’m sure if your Avic had feelingns it would be greatful :)

I think its good to keep an arboreal and terrestrial at first to figure out what you like. I started with terrestrials but the majority of my collection are now arboreals. I wouldn’t have known that I prefer arboreals if I didn’t order that one C cersicolor sling (against my wife’s will...).

Xinowulf

3 Year Member
Aah the old Avic in a kritter keeper in an acrylic case deal. Yeah those are unfortunate. I’m sure if your Avic had feelingns it would be greatful :)

I think its good to keep an arboreal and terrestrial at first to figure out what you like. I started with terrestrials but the majority of my collection are now arboreals. I wouldn’t have known that I prefer arboreals if I didn’t order that one C cersicolor sling (against my wife’s will...).
:D I agree. I think I like arboreal more but I’ll take either at this point. The whole hobby is very interesting. I actually picked up a sling and a juvenile yesterday. :T:

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Thank you! I’m hoping for the best at the show. If not I guess I’ll have to order one. :)
We just had a show here this last weekend. A buddy let me set up at his booth and sell off my excess roaches. I used the money from roach sales to buy 16 new tarantulas, and one awesome unicolor cribo yearling. I felt I did a very good job of not going over board given all the temptation that surrounded me! :)

I don't know how strong your will power is, but man, those reptile shows with all the tarantula vendors offer some serious allure. It was so hard to walk away and leave all those awesome spiders on all those tables...

Xinowulf

3 Year Member
We just had a show here this last weekend. A buddy let me set up at his booth and sell off my excess roaches. I used the money from roach sales to buy 16 new tarantulas, and one awesome unicolor cribo yearling. I felt I did a very good job of not going over board given all the temptation that surrounded me! :)

I don't know how strong your will power is, but man, those reptile shows with all the tarantula vendors offer some serious allure. It was so hard to walk away and leave all those awesome spiders on all those tables...
Oh that sounds awesome! Well I hope I have enough to walk away. If nothing else I’ll try and convince myself I don’t have the room. :D

Xinowulf

3 Year Member
I was only ever getting 1 T to help me get over my fear of spiders, I now have 90+ :rolleyes:
Yeah I could definitely see myself saying the same thing. I just got a pterinochilus murinus sling and a
nhandu chromatus large sling the other day from my local reptile shop. I was a little worried about the OBT but I just had to have it!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah I could definitely see myself saying the same thing. I just got a pterinochilus murinus sling and a
nhandu chromatus large sling the other day from my local reptile shop. I was a little worried about the OBT but I just had to have it!

My 1st T was an OBT juvenile. I always find them more shy than anything but as long as you're watchful you'll be fine.

Latest posts