• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to here :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
And there are good people on Arachnoboards too. I believe that they really do care about tarantulas and other inverts.

I am not excusing them, well maybe a little, but I think that some get frustrated at what seems to be an ever present and increasing problem with people buying animals on the spur of the moment.

I don't mean to agitate anyone, well maybe a little, but caring for a T is not something you should learn spur of the moment. Same with beta fish or goldfish. You can learn some things as you go, but the basics need to be in place before getting it home.

To be honest, I cringe when I see a thread topic with the something like " I know nothing about taratulas, but just got one, please help."

And I am thinking that is what prompts the heated response from some on Arachoboards.

I worry that we are becoming more of a disposable society. Disposable underwear I can understand ( still a burden on the environment) but not animals.

I agree with you on this to an extent. I used to be a member there for many years. There is a group of "elitists" there that think just because they've been in the hobby so many years that their "sh*t" don't stink. They are the "wolves" there. I've watched many novice collectors ask simple questions about their animals (doing their research as they should) only to get sour backlash from the advanced keepers. I understand that you should do your research prior to obtaining any animal but no one deserves to be treated like that. The reason why we come together as an invert community is to help others and to build them up per-say in the hobby. Not to beat them down and make them avoid it altogether. I can't stand people like that and although, as a newbie, I never had the courage to stand up to them due to their "social status" back then.....I will not hesitate to put them in their place now. If someone is doing their due diligence and researching how to properly care for their animal, coming to forums like these is part of their research. Google isn't the only place to obtain information and it pisses me off to the core when someone says "why don't you just Google it" when there is TONS of information on forums.....probably more than Google could ever accurately provide. To the good folks that are on arachnoboards, I hope they hang in there and continue to help others as they should...and not bash people for asking the simplest of questions. I have much love for you Dusty! It's always nice seeing your input here. I value you as a member here and hope to read more of your content. ❤️

SullivanC

I agree with you on this to an extent. I used to be a member there for many years. There is a group of "elitists" there that think just because they've been in the hobby so many years that their "sh*t" don't stink. They are the "wolves" there. I've watched many novice collectors ask simple questions about their animals (doing their research as they should) only to get sour backlash from the advanced keepers. I understand that you should do your research prior to obtaining any animal but no one deserves to be treated like that. The reason why we come together as an invert community is to help others and to build them up per-say in the hobby. Not to beat them down and make them avoid it altogether. I can't stand people like that and although, as a newbie, I never had the courage to stand up to them due to their "social status" back then.....I will not hesitate to put them in their place now. If someone is doing their due diligence and researching how to properly care for their animal, coming to forums like these is part of their research. Google isn't the only place to obtain information and it pisses me off to the core when someone says "why don't you just Google it" when there is TONS of information on forums.....probably more than Google could ever accurately provide. To the good folks that are on arachnoboards, I hope they hang in there and continue to help others as they should...and not bash people for asking the simplest of questions. I have much love for you Dusty! It's always nice seeing your input here. I value you as a member here and hope to read more of your content. ❤️
Yes I am aware that arachnoboards have their good members too but alot of people in that site are elitists that they expect everyone to be just as perfect as they are even if its not even a day old for the person in the hobby. Asking questions is the only way you can be the best keeper that you can be but if you get people that are hostile at you because of your questions then you wont know the answer to questions that might be very important for tarantula's care. Yes some questions have been asked many times and people might get frustrated when they see same question being asked so many times but they have to understand that maybe that person didnt remember to check the forum to see if anyone else asked the same or similar question. I think getting mad at beginners is not the way to do things, people will not be happy to be part of this hobby if most people they meet in this hobby will be jerks because even if not everyone is like that since their experiences have only been the bad ones they will think thats how everyone is

SullivanC

And there are good people on Arachnoboards too. I believe that they really do care about tarantulas and other inverts.

I am not excusing them, well maybe a little, but I think that some get frustrated at what seems to be an ever present and increasing problem with people buying animals on the spur of the moment.

I don't mean to agitate anyone, well maybe a little, but caring for a T is not something you should learn spur of the moment. Same with beta fish or goldfish. You can learn some things as you go, but the basics need to be in place before getting it home.

To be honest, I cringe when I see a thread topic with the something like " I know nothing about taratulas, but just got one, please help."

And I am thinking that is what prompts the heated response from some on Arachoboards.

I worry that we are becoming more of a disposable society. Disposable underwear I can understand ( still a burden on the environment) but not animals.
Yes you should already know basic care before even getting them and yes I am aware that some people are good in arachnoboards and I have personally met people in arachnoboards that were good but in case if you couldnt figure out who we were talking about its the elitists of arachnoboards that expect everyone else to know just as much as them and dont care if the person only is in the hobby for like 1 week at most and still has alot to learn. The reason why I have problems with elitists is because of the fact that they show bad attitude to beginners but one thing they dont understand is they once were a beginner too and it took them time to get better at the things that they are good at. As funny as it might sound even soaking the substrate to raise humidity or providing drinking water for a sling, to add the right amount of water you put in the substrate even getting that right takes some time, even something as little as that takes time to get good at. These elitists act like NOTHING takes time to get good at and because that they give bad attitude to beginners those guys start to get afraid of asking questions as a result of their attitude.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes I am aware that arachnoboards have their good members too but alot of people in that site are elitists that they expect everyone to be just as perfect as they are even if its not even a day old for the person in the hobby. Asking questions is the only way you can be the best keeper that you can be but if you get people that are hostile at you because of your questions then you wont know the answer to questions that might be very important for tarantula's care. Yes some questions have been asked many times and people might get frustrated when they see same question being asked so many times but they have to understand that maybe that person didnt remember to check the forum to see if anyone else asked the same or similar question. I think getting mad at beginners is not the way to do things, people will not be happy to be part of this hobby if most people they meet in this hobby will be jerks because even if not everyone is like that since their experiences have only been the bad ones they will think thats how everyone is

That pretty much sums up what I just stated, lol. I agree with you.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks! I am in awe at your tarantula knowledge ( sexing, care ...) and how you are able to get such wonderful Ts.
And I do agree that there are some on Arachnoboards that can be too rigid. I think even Tom Moran has mentioned in a podcast that they can be testy.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks! I am in awe at your tarantula knowledge ( sexing, care ...) and how you are able to get such wonderful Ts.
And I do agree that there are some on Arachnoboards that can be too rigid. I think even Tom Moran has mentioned in a podcast that they can be testy.

Ahhh you watch Tom? I like him. :)

Jenks2772

Hello I am new to this site I wish I joined here before but I thought arachnoboards was the only place that existed. I had so much problems with the members in arachnoboards (not trying to bring the drama here) but I heard nothing but good things about here lately so I wanted to join :) I know I am not the only person that has bad experience with the arachnoboards but thankfully we can have better time here since members are probably better here :) I like all types of spiders and looking forward to chat with people here
I'm new here also. I have a curly hair named leutenant. Lol! No idea if it's a male or female. I watched it molt and thought it was super cool. I've done so much research before getting one but fell in love with the hobby. This is coming from someone terrified of spiders previously.

SullivanC

I'm new here also. I have a curly hair named leutenant. Lol! No idea if it's a male or female. I watched it molt and thought it was super cool. I've done so much research before getting one but fell in love with the hobby. This is coming from someone terrified of spiders previously.
This is great news :) I love spiders also my great friend, how big is leutenant? :D

Jenks2772

Attachments

• 20220818_160513.jpg
    20220818_160513.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 3

Latest posts