• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new tarantula mom here!!!

spidysoph

Some Ts can take atleast a week or so to settle in. The reality is that Avics are one of the most popular species for people to start with, they also have a high mortality rate as people like to play with them. Tarantulas can stress quite easily and it's why handling isn't recommended.(aswell as the risk of the T falling/jumping and also a bite) if you do choose to (and it is your choice) be aware that unlike reptiles it will never recognise you and it will never get used to handling.
Hi! This is very helpful. Now that I have had little Lucy for about a month now, it seems like she actually likes being held? She will crawl up to the roof of her cage and will immediately latch on to me when I take to roof off. I do not hold her every day, but I do "pet" her frequently if she comes up to the top edge of her cage. She seems to like it, and, according to my research, T's sometimes actually like being pet! (correct me if I am wrong). I

will attach a video to this comment for you to decide as I am new :)

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We have a few Chilensis that can be misconceived as liking handling but they are known for liking to explore and are attracted to the heat of our hands. Avics and other Arboreal species seek height so that’ll probably be why she’s there

One thing I will suggest thou is Avics (and Versi’s) don’t kick hair but rub them so you could be hairing yourself :)

Tboltguy1000

Hi! I have always wanted a tarantula since high school, however, I have always had parents or roommates living with me who have all disapproved. Now that I finally live alone (with my dog) I just adopted my first tranchy! He/she is a 1-year-old pink toe named Lucy (non-gender conforming). I think tarantulas are adorable but I am kind of sad that mine has only let me hold her twice (I will usually lightly tap her back legs when I want to hold, 80% of the time he goes in a warning stance). Is there a way to let her let me hold her more? Is it just because she is just getting used to her new home?

Also, my spider child is a hungry boi. Do I keep feeding her crickets once she has none in her cage? I only give her 1-2 at a time, but she eats them immediately and I have heard they do not need to eat everyday, but can they if they want to?

I appreciate any and all help/tips for new tranchy parents!

-Sophie

Hi and welcome! I personally don't handle my tarantulas, as the risk of injury or death is greater than the satisfaction of holding them for a few minutes. As for the feeding question, I'd recommend 1-2 crickets once a week hand-fed to her for a tarantula her size. Another good feeder is Dubia roaches, as they have a little more nutritional value than crickets and also will not do any harm to your spider if it's molting.

Good luck!