• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Slings Help

PamCz

3 Year Member
I over estimated its size when I made its enclosure and made too big of air holes its completely my fault my L.P. is the same size as it but had less hairs on it so I knew it was small enough to get through but the h.gigas looked thicker so I thought it was safe but I was wrong now it could be crawling in my room and its kinda scary I got into T's because I wanted to face my fears of spiders for my sons sake who is terrified of just about all bugs :confused:
Well, I can't say it wouldn't freak me out a little to have an H. gigas running around. However, it won't be for long... That species needs serious humidity. It's a swamp dweller. And also, being a sling, it'll dessicate even faster. Sorry you lost it, but you'll be fine. You'll probably never find it.

No fears! And don't tell your son it's out! (Or your wife! lol!);)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I understand you don't want a panic, but I feel other people living in the same household as you deserve to know when you've got a species with medically significant venom loose.

PamCz

3 Year Member
@Chubbs .....you have a point there.

I assume @AndrewBush89 will take appropriate measures to protect his family, despite the chaos it'll cause. I would, admittedly, tell my husband if a T got loose. Red-faced, yes, but I'd feel compelled to do it. I have cats and a dog, too, so not medically significant, but deadly to them.

The good news, @AndrewBush89, is that H. gigas really does need a great deal of moisture and warmth. If it's a sling, it'll likely die w/in a couple weeks at the outside, I think. Especially if it molts, which slings do a lot.:)

AndrewBush89

3 Year Member
Everyone was notified told them if they see small fuzzy spider to either kill it or catch it in a cup but I don't think we will have to worry about it to much it was super small and I'm sure it found a nice dark space in my room I've got a small closet right next to where the enclosure sat.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Everyone was notified told them if they see small fuzzy spider to either kill it or catch it in a cup but I don't think we will have to worry about it to much it was super small and I'm sure it found a nice dark space in my room I've got a small closet right next to where the enclosure sat.
Why would you tell them to kill it??

AndrewBush89

3 Year Member
My son is only 5 and the other person I live with will kill it even if i asked them to catch it my son knows better than to mess with them but I would rather them kill it than get bit trying to catch it for my mistake and on top of that where I live we have true spiders that look very similar to to this sling and about the same size just trying to keep my family safe. If I see it though you better believe I'm going to catch it but the odds are against me.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I understand your concern for your child's safety. Its just a shame that the spider has to pay with its life for something that really wasn't its fault.

Down with OBT

3 Year Member
ahh the one that got away.

I had one escapee one time ever, and it was my own naivety. I had a homemade lid on an aquarium, but it didn't seal fully and you couldn't tell just by looking at it. Long story short what got out was an adult female H. lividum needless to say heres what I was told.
"You don't get to sleep until you find it"

recovered her in 2 hrs

AndrewBush89

3 Year Member
Holy cow obts are fast little suckers. No it did not get away just gave me a freaking stroke it was out of its enclosure before I could react and running up my arm in a blink of a eye. Only took me 3 trys to get the dang little thing back in with a lid on.:eek:

Down with OBT

3 Year Member
Holy cow obts are fast little suckers. No it did not get away just gave me a freaking stroke it was out of its enclosure before I could react and running up my arm in a blink of a eye. Only took me 3 trys to get the dang little thing back in with a lid on.:eek:
that'll just about cover OBT's for newbies.
#topgun

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wait til it's an adult...
How are you going to deal with this when you have to rehouse it?

Ghost

3 Year Member

That's some going in the space of a week you've had a H.gigas escape and a OBT run up your arm,This only goes to prove that OWs really aren't suited to newbies and you should get experience with some of the more docile T's before going anywhere near OWs.....

AndrewBush89

3 Year Member
It would not have happened if did not get startled by the cricket I put in its enclosure. I was trying to put the lid on when it got out. And I was in a area where it was not going to escape my field of vision and I had all the things I needed to make sure I could recatch my sling. Yes I'm a newbie to T's the only reason it surprised me was because it ran up my arm was not being aggressive what's so ever. The H. Gigas I take full responsibility for losing since I was the one who made the air holes to large. And I do feel bad about making the mistake. My obt post was more of a new expierince of learning for me than anything

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It would not have happened if did not get startled by the cricket I put in its enclosure. I was trying to put the lid on when it got out. And I was in a area where it was not going to escape my field of vision and I had all the things I needed to make sure I could recatch my sling. Yes I'm a newbie to T's the only reason it surprised me was because it ran up my arm was not being aggressive what's so ever. The H. Gigas I take full responsibility for losing since I was the one who made the air holes to large. And I do feel bad about making the mistake. My obt post was more of a new expierince of learning for me than anything
They don't develop their defensive behavior until they hit about 2 or 3 inches.