• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New pink toe sling

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Someone's been webbing!
IMG_20200420_065713.jpg

I purposefully positioned the enclosure with the "back" facing forward so she would web up the front side and that's exactly what she doing

When she's got it the ways she likes it I will rotate the enclosure so her web tube is in front and easier to see.

I'm waiting to see if she finds the hole in the cork bark hollow to her liking it not.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Fed her a 3/4" B. lat, crushed head, dropped in webbing while she was hiding in her cork tube hide
An hour later she is out with the roach in her mouth.

Feeding #1 in the new enclosure = success! :T:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Water dish maintenance and fed a 3/4"+ crippled but very active roach today. She responded to the roach in my tongs before I even dropped it into her webbing. Once the roach dropped, she pounced hard!

Best pic I could get, distorted through the bend in the jug

IMG_20200430_160038.jpg

Beautiful coloring on her, need better light and clarity to see her well and show her off!

I'm very pleased with her progress in our care, and this enclosure so far.

Last edited:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Changing the subject a bit I know but can I ask where you get these enclosures. They look pretty good
Thanks!
I ordered the 1 Gallon Jugs from Amazon but Tom Moran and many other get them at Walmart

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Our pink toe has pretty much wrecked out all but some of her webbing, not sure why, and is also not hiding in the cork bark hide anymore, she's just out in the open all the time.
IMG_20200511_083953.jpg

Decided to try something new, feeding wise, since no webbing to drop feeders into. I hung a cricket by it's ovipositor (egg tube) from the feeding plug at the top of the tank. It struggled and dangled there for a while but when I went to take a look earlier, I found the cricket gone (torn off) and the T feeding on it.
IMG_20200511_084002.jpg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Update
She has webbed up her enclosure again and has been getting fed weekly, every Thursday.

The dangling cricket trick works like a charm, albeit a bit cruel I reminds me of how the natives offered "sacrifices" to Kong.

I have yet to see the T take the cricket from the inverted red altar of food, but I will this week - I got video cameras set up!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nice if she would do it the way you want it...we will call you the spider whisperer ;)
I roster the tank to face out and it seems to make no difference.
She spends most of her time in full view, sometimes right on the vent holes by the window, sometimes inside near the bottom and sometimes she retreats to the cork bark round but more often than not she is in full view.
Not sure that makes me the spider whisperer but I enjoy owning her a lot.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I roster the tank to face out and it seems to make no difference.
She spends most of her time in full view, sometimes right on the vent holes by the window, sometimes inside near the bottom and sometimes she retreats to the cork bark round but more often than not she is in full view.
Not sure that makes me the spider whisperer but I enjoy owning her a lot.
You enjoying it is all it takes. We enjoy your posts...:)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Re housed my avicularia sling 3 days ago seems to be moving around but only on the substrate?
Might be looking for moisture. Is there a water dish and have you tried to place dropletts on the walls and objects above the ground?

How long have you had this sling and what was it's previous housing, was it on the ground in that enclosure too?

Seamus

3 Year Member
Might be looking for moisture. Is there a water dish and have you tried to place dropletts on the walls and objects above the ground?

How long have you had this sling and what was it's previous housing, was it on the ground in that enclosure too?
There is no water dish as it's too small but I put water droplets on side of enclosure and on fake plant. The set up is probably identical to the last one but not as tall and it webbed on the cork bark