• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New house for my Chile Rose

Atx13

3 Year Member
Thanks everyone, she is lovely :) Kenny the stuff on my hand is what i got from the store when i bought her but looked in to it and changed it for vermiculite :)
Does your Rosie like vermiculite? Mine freaked out when i used it... Changed her to straight peat moss, she is happier now, lol.. hopefully she doesn't freak when i changed her to eco- earth :p

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
She seems happy with the vermiculite. I tried to get soil but nobody seems to have it in this early in the year, they only had big bags of compost especially for specific plants so probably wouldn't have been suitable. I was so worried about harming her, the girl in the store had to phone the manufacturer when i bought the vermiculite just to be 100% sure it was safe :)

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Does your Rosie like vermiculite? Mine freaked out when i used it... Changed her to straight peat moss, she is happier now, lol.. hopefully she doesn't freak when i changed her to eco- earth :p
My Rosie was in a container with potting soil and had herself as much off of the substrate as she could get, when I rehoused her I used the eco-earth and she hasn't had any issues, minus a bit of climbing the first day because it wasn't quite dry enough. So I would think yours should be fine when you make the switch :)

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
She seems to be happy with the vermiculite :) I have never seen mine trying to climb! Does yours go right in to her water dish? mine is usually in it first thing in the morning!

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Noelle decided her first water dish should not hold water...ever! She would immediately dump it and then carry it around, 'cuddle' it or sit on it. If you tried to remove it she would run at you at then hold on for dear life...even had her go into the hair flicking stance once lol. Since then, I put in a new water dish and today was the first time I have seen her near it, she was just hanging out with a her front legs soaking in it. Her old dish is in her hide safe and sound from the mean lady who kept trying to fill it with the horrible water haha

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
She sounds like she has a bit of character :D Itsy sits with half her legs in sometimes! Her dish is quite heave so she'd never be able to move it! I got her a habba hut hide but she's never been in it:confused:

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh yes, Noelle is definitely full of personality...very fun T. Her first dish was a bottle cap...I now use one of those reptile dishes (so she couldn't just haul it around lol) for her water. She doesn't go in her hide either except to take her 'precious' bottle cap in or out lol

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm kind of glad she doesn't use her hide, I love looking at her and like to catch her roaming around...she's probably scouting for the evil water monster that falls from the sky lol

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
People who think spiders are boring are so wrong! I'm always looking at mine. The place i bought her from has a lovely Martinique Pinktoe they're trying to sell me but i would have to get a different set up first as i see they're very different to care for. I had the perfect tank i didn't use and gave it to my neighbour for her stick insects! Can't ask for it back now!

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had read countless posts about Avics being tough to care for and being fragile. I haven't really found it tough at all. I had to make some adjustments to the mesh lid on the exoterra I got for her (just to hold in more humidity), but other than keeping the substrate moist for humidity there's not much to it. Besides the added humidity, the trick is just to have adequate ventilation so the air doesn't get stagnant and mould doesn't grow. Just make sure the enclosure is tall instead of wide, and there is something for them to climb and you're good to go :)

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here's some pictures of Karina's home:
034 (2).JPG
045 (2).JPG

thistle77

3 Year Member
Itsy Bitsy is adorable. Can I ask where you got her from? I'm always on the lookout for shops selling T's.

I use coir as my substrate. You can get a brick of it on ebay for only a couple of quid, just break some off, add water and it expands. A large brick would last you for ages.

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
Thanks, she's my first spider :) I'm up north in the Orkney isles and got her from a little family run shop here, and thinking of another! I haven't heard of coir, will look it up :)

Latest posts