• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New house for my Chile Rose

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
Do you think a 60l bi orb aquarium is suitable for my Chile Rose? It's 50 cm wide and i thought about filling it to a third deep. The tank i was sold at the pet store isn't deep enough and the bi orb is never used. I would not be using the built in light on the lid. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks :)

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
reefonelogo.gif
One of these, the 60l, 50cm at it's widest point and made from acrylic. I did have fish in it but after the last fish died i didn't re stock. It was a lid with a built in light, which i wouldn't be switching on, and i thought if i filled it one third with substrate it could make a nice new home for her! Just thought i'd ask for more expert opinion on here as i'm new to Tarantulas and she's my first one :)

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
41oNYn1QeNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Thanks Kenny, just saw your post! I meant this one, with the bubble tube and filter removed. Do you think this one will be unsuitable too? If so i'll just get her another tank and keep this as an emergency fish tank!

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
41oNYn1QeNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Thanks Kenny, just saw your post! I meant this one, with the bubble tube and filter removed. Do you think this one will be unsuitable too? If so i'll just get her another tank and keep this as an emergency fish tank!
I don't think this has near enough 'ground space' for a rosie. How big is your spider? You'd probably be better off with a sweater box/tupperware etc, a small square aquariam (I use a 10 gallon for our Rosie, but a 5 gallon would probably be fine), or something similar. Definitely want more horizontal space than vertical, I think the rule of thumb is 4x the spider's legspan for width and no more than 2x the legspan for height (to prevent injury from falls).

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
Thanks for the advice! She's still not fully grown, her body about 6cm long. I bought a tank the store recommended but i don't think at 13cm it's deep enough as i think she needs deeper soil so she can dig. Apart from that she has plenty of ground space. I think i'll just buy a small aquarium for her. What a pity i gave away my "nursery" fish tank away, it would have been perfect!

Atx13

3 Year Member
I wouldn't even keep an arboreal T in one of those, just doesnt seem like a T friendly home.. I tried keeping an Avic sling in an old betta fish container, it didnt have near enough ventilation, and mold ran wild..

Atx13

3 Year Member
Thanks for the advice! She's still not fully grown, her body about 6cm long. I bought a tank the store recommended but i don't think at 13cm it's deep enough as i think she needs deeper soil so she can dig. Apart from that she has plenty of ground space. I think i'll just buy a small aquarium for her. What a pity i gave away my "nursery" fish tank away, it would have been perfect!
If you supply your Rosea with about 7cm of sub(thats around 3 inches right?) she should be fine :p.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you have a Tesco near you they have some excellent storage boxes for under five pound. Some already have ventilation holes in. I would love to see a picture as I'm a rose fan.

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
Are the boxes clear? The tank she's in has a brown lid and i'd like a clear one! I'll try and get a pic of her over the weekend, i'm keen to show her off! She's hiding at the moment!

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Are the boxes clear? The tank she's in has a brown lid and i'd like a clear one! I'll try and get a pic of her over the weekend, i'm keen to show her off! She's hiding at the moment!
They have all sorts. On the thread big up the rose hairs you can see what I have diamond candy and Dakota in . Totally see through 3 pound from tesco with safety lids

Latest posts