• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New home has changed my chaco

mandzpate

I have had my chaco golden knee for over 2years she is a female and has always been a fantastic eater up till aug.... In aug I decided to move her into her new home as she was getting too big for her old home. Since then she hasn't eaten anything and hides away day and night in her new hide. She sleeps in my bedroom next to me and I never hear or see her out even at night, my gbb sleeps in my bedroom too and he will wake me up hearing him walk around. It's just so strange to me as she has never acted this way. Has anybody any suggestions what I can do to help her....any info will be appreciated thanks

mandzpate

Sounds to me like she is in premoult and needs time to settle into her enclosure - when did she moult last?
I wouldn't worry about her not eating as they can go for long periods without food just make sure she has a water dish available to her at all times :)
Some pictures may also help? :)
Hi her last moult was 23rd may 2020. She has just changed so much I feel like I've done something wrong moving her

Attachments

• IMG-20200919-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20200919-WA0004.jpeg
    957.8 KB · Views: 46

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
what is the size of the spider and what size is the enclosure?
Sometimes tarantulas go into hiding if enclosure is too big.
Wood(Bark) chips is a very unsuitable substrate for tarantulas.Also your substrate level seems very low.You can use coco coir(fiber),peat,top soil without additives(fertiliser or chemicals) or mixture of them to top up your substrate so its just leveled with the vents under the doors.
That will reduce head room and the risk of your tarantula injuring itself if she falls from near the top.

Regards Konstantin

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What is her DLS? If the new enclosure is vastly bigger than she is, she may be using a protective burrowing strategy for safety. Ts like confined spaces in general. Your pulchripes would live in a burrow in the wild and rarely venture far from its home. If it is stressed re. her new enclosure, in time I bet she will settle in.

T Freak

Hi
what is the size of the spider and what size is the enclosure?
Sometimes tarantulas go into hiding if enclosure is too big.
Wood(Bark) chips is a very unsuitable substrate for tarantulas.Also your substrate level seems very low.You can use coco coir(fiber),peat,top soil without additives(fertiliser or chemicals) or mixture of them to top up your substrate so its just leveled with the vents under the doors.
That will reduce head room and the risk of your tarantula injuring itself if she falls from near the top.

Regards Konstantin
Yea this too. I use a mixture of coco fiber and the creatures soil. Seems to work pretty good.