• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new, and confused

DewDrop

3 Year Member
Yeah with the set up, you can go cheap and reasonable with them. The advice is great on the forums. The collectors on here are serious with what they know and do a nice job helping people out. My a. avic or pink toe, eats a few crickets a month. Usually no more than five or six. I feed her a couple of crickets at a time and she either eats them quickly or refuses them. She won't eat any more than that. Humidity is important so just leave a water dish and get the substrate a little damp. It'll dry out. Height is important in an enclosure for the arboreal pink toe. I am no expert, I am also here to learn. Tarantulas shed their skin.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Unless it's a tiny sling, I recommend keeping Avics on dry substrate, they tend to do better this way.A water dish provides adequate humidity. They really don't need much humidity at all since they live up in trees where there is almost constant air flow. If they were down on the forest floor where all of the moisture is, then it'd be a different matter.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
Chubbs has a much more varied collection as well as more experience, go with the advice. I butt heads with some of his ideas but, perhaps I shouldn't. Hey Chubbs, do you know anything about the miracle grow brand hydrate potting mix of peat and coconut husk with a little compost? It doesn't have fertilizers in it, except, well, the compost. But it is labeled for in ground use so I think it might be off limits for tarantulas. I was done with peat but the price was under 5 dollars and it was a cheaper alternative for my plants. DO you know what makes it specifically for in ground use only? Not tarantula friendly? I am not going to use it for spiders because it says it is not for containers and I am just not sure of it. Ever heard of it?

Last edited:

Tuskedwings

3 Year Member
Ahhhhh that the one I wanted lol, Avic Avics are arboreal so I would recommend having her in a taller container with something to climb that goes from bottom to top, a log bought from a pet store or online would do, thick spider bark is also good. If you have any questions feel free to msg me :)

Latest posts