• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Name ideas for tarantulas?

DreadedNeith

So I've been trying to find a name for my a metallica. I thought if it is a girl I'd name her Nocta (like Noctem the latin word for night) and if it's a boy i figured I'd name him Noctem. My avic is a dark blue with the metallic hairs, it reminds me of stars in the night sky. What do you guys think of those names?
If anyone has some other unique names for Ts or avics specifically please feel free to add them in a reply.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use names connected with the Ts country of origin, rivers mountains, towns etc. It also helps me learn a bit about their homeland.

DreadedNeith

I use names connected with the Ts country of origin, rivers mountains, towns etc. It also helps me learn a bit about their homeland.
Thats a great idea. All I know about a. metallicas are they come from columbia. Im not sure what part or if they are in all parts of columbia. That is a cool idea though. Its hard to find much information on a metallica because they arent even considered a real species anymore. I'd love to find more information on them but everything i find is on avic avic or c versi. Not sure where to get more information.

Nunua

3 Year Member
I first keep my slings unnamed until I come up with a name I want to use and I don't mind too much if the name won't match with the gender in the end. I'm also battling between using foreign words and Finnish words, mostly because of the pronunciation. It can be relatively annoying when you give your pet a nice name and someone pronounces it in thick Finnish accent :D Overall I like to use character / place names from games and different mythologies.

So far I have
- Acanthoscurria geniculata "Maisa" - A Finnish female first name. This was actually given by my mom so she could tolerate the T in her house for two days :D I tried to change it later but in the end this name got stuck on my head, so Maisa it is.
- Neoholothele incei gold "Eos" - In Greek mythology Eos is the goddess of dawn (and a Titaness, haha) and this little T has a golden colouration.
- Sericopelma (ex. Brachypelma) angustum "Anki" - This kid has a funny attitude so I started to call it the Angsty Kid. Anki is just a shortened form.
- Caribena versicolor "Sreaky" - Named after my friend's online nickname after I found out that she has terminal cancer.
- Brachypelma boehmei "Kulo" - A Finnish word meaning forest fire.

And then there is the unnamed bunch B. klaasi, B. albopilosum, B. auratum, B. albiceps, N. chromatus, P. vittata and P. tigrinawesseli,

DreadedNeith

I first keep my slings unnamed until I come up with a name I want to use and I don't mind too much if the name won't match with the gender in the end. I'm also battling between using foreign words and Finnish words, mostly because of the pronunciation. It can be relatively annoying when you give your pet a nice name and someone pronounces it in thick Finnish accent :D Overall I like to use character / place names from games and different mythologies.

So far I have
- Acanthoscurria geniculata "Maisa" - A Finnish female first name. This was actually given by my mom so she could tolerate the T in her house for two days :D I tried to change it later but in the end this name got stuck on my head, so Maisa it is.
- Neoholothele incei gold "Eos" - In Greek mythology Eos is the goddess of dawn (and a Titaness, haha) and this little T has a golden colouration.
- Sericopelma (ex. Brachypelma) angustum "Anki" - This kid has a funny attitude so I started to call it the Angsty Kid. Anki is just a shortened form.
- Caribena versicolor "Sreaky" - Named after my friend's online nickname after I found out that she has terminal cancer.
- Brachypelma boehmei "Kulo" - A Finnish word meaning forest fire.

And then there is the unnamed bunch B. klaasi, B. albopilosum, B. auratum, B. albiceps, N. chromatus, P. vittata and P. tigrinawesseli,
Thanks. You gave me some good iseas about how to come up with names. I like the names you chose but dont feel its great to copy so i wont. I guess its the artist in me that doesnt like to copy things. I'm sorry about your friend. I have a really great friend named Stephanie who died in a car accident. I always called her Steph. Maybe I'll name my T that. Im pretty sure it's a female.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Names?

C versicolor: Charles
L klugi: Justina
H spinifer (female mother) Mama Sckwapz
H spinifer scorpling: Trouble aka Little George (Don't ask but the ex thinks he's little George)
P sp machala: Persephone
P striata: Patrick
P vittata slings: Bonnie and Clyde
T stirmi: Mindy

Some names change as gender becomes more obvious.

DreadedNeith

Theres so many cool names and so many great ways to come up with names. I've had my T for maybe a month and a half and still haven't come up with a name i like. I do like the idea of naming her Steph after a friend of mine named Stephanie that was killed in a car accident. I also like the idea of just a funny name you wouldnt expect a spider to have. I especially like the dr. title lol. I think using a word from the language of their country of orgin is also great but i couldnt find and cool sounding dutch words tgat i liked fir my avic. hmmm. Im indecisive.

DreadedNeith

Haha. Yeah thats why i didnt ake the decision of naming my T Steph. I tried to sex it using ventral sexing meathod but i am no expert and this meathod isnt 100%. Im pretty sure its a female but we all know how that goes. She hasnt molted yet and from what i understand is avics molt about once a year so i may have some time to wait.