• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My worst nightmare: Tarantula Gifted to me

Sycohearted

Hi everyone,
I am brand new to the T-Community but I have been researching on and off for about 5+ years, And today I was thrusted into the community and...I'm a bit frustrated and stressed by it. I am a person who spends years researching and collecting supplies for an animal before getting it and right now I'm in the deep end and drowning.
My favorite species since I was a child was the Brachypelma Hamorii...And today my sister gifted me a belated birthday gift- I'm sure you can guess what it was...

Well, despite my research I still was not ready or prepared for this animal and now I desperately need a list of must-haves for Tarantulas as well as enclosure recommendations. I think the critter keeper she gave him to me in is too big for him right now, I could be wrong but sizing, feeding, temperature and whether to mist or not are my biggest weakpoints. I REALLY think he needs more substrate in the enclosure and I want to get him so cork bark so he can properly hide/burrow.

I'm here to learn so bombs away, guys. Thank you in advanced.

This is what I am working with:
EDIT: As you can see he came in the cup that she put the crickets in.

60186293_2229135120466612_6504641267287195648_o.jpg

60114150_2229131543800303_6358288336825614336_n.jpg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congratulations on your new pet. I think the enclosure will be fine and the substrate depth looks good. I does look too wet though. They like dry substrate. I would add a water dish and a piece of cork bark and your good to go. The substrate with dry out pretty fast. Just over flow the water dish once a week and that will be fine.

Sycohearted

Congratulations on your new pet. I think the enclosure will be fine and the substrate depth looks good. I does look too wet though. They like dry substrate. I would add a water dish and a piece of cork bark and your good to go. The substrate with dry out pretty fast. Just over flow the water dish once a week and that will be fine.
That amount is okay? I thought it was dangerous to have so much space from the top to the bottom in case of falling? I won't add anymore if you think it's okay! Yes, she bought me a water dish (It's on top of the keeper in the photo) but I think it's a bit too big so I may use a smaller dixie cup. And of course, yes, cork bark is in his future for sure! I also want to get some plant foliage for him to web up too.

Also a few more questions if that's alright?

1. When should I rehouse him? I know he is a youngin' and will be molting a bit but I'm so ignorant to sizing and what not.
2. Can you at all tell his size by the photos? My sister got him from a mill so I unfortunately can go to his breeder for questions...
3. He apparently ate yesterday, when should I feed him again?

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it.

Sycohearted

*You can add more if you want...I wouldn't consider what you have there a long ways to fall.
*He can stay in that enclosure forever...no need to rehouse him.
*He should be feed once a week.
Would putting him a larger enclosure (HobbyLobby basket ball case) when he matures be harmful? Also, how often do you clean a tarantula enclosure? With the exception of mold of course.

Tnoob

I think it looks pretty good, but I wonder if you have top soil in there. Not that it matters.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
coco fibre is fine. Most people, myself included, use for all their Ts. The moss may die off/turn brown as you dry out the enclosure. @Arachnoclown advice about drying out and just having an overfilled water dish is spot on. That enclosure will also be fine for all its life. You can add some plastic plants if you like, more pleasing on the eye and help fill the enclosure a bit when that size. as he/she grows and takes up more space, you can always take out the plants. Congrats on your new baby and well done to your sister for getting you something you have been researching so long for. :)

spodermin

This is exciting, don't be stressed out.

Don't let chemicals near it (this includes while cleaning stuff that will interact with it, and I only use non pesticide produce to feed to the feeders and whatnot)

Don't let it get too cold or too hot (but don't obsess) 17°C-30°C is fine. Fluctuation is good, they like day and night cycles

Don't overfeed it. It won't starve unless you don't feed it for months. Keep a water dish in case it needs to drink

If you do those basic 3 things it's the hardest pet in the world to screw up.

The forums are great for questions. Congrats on the hamorii! It's a beautiful spider

jrh3

3 Year Member
One thing to add, when it stops eating(and it will), don’t stress. They can go a loooooong time without eating. Mostly they wont eat in premolt or if their abdomen is really plump.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Everything has been covered by people more experienced than me, but I wanted to say: Hello, welcome, and CONGRATULATIONS on the new spider!!!

They really are an easy species and you should have no trouble keeping it alive and well. There is a very wide margin of error.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi welcome to the forum and the hobby:)
congratulations on your new T...I hope you enjoy your new pet...everybody seems to have covered the basics already ..but they are easy to care for and wonderful to watch them grow..

Sycohearted

coco fibre is fine. Most people, myself included, use for all their Ts. The moss may die off/turn brown as you dry out the enclosure. @Arachnoclown advice about drying out and just having an overfilled water dish is spot on. That enclosure will also be fine for all its life. You can add some plastic plants if you like, more pleasing on the eye and help fill the enclosure a bit when that size. as he/she grows and takes up more space, you can always take out the plants. Congrats on your new baby and well done to your sister for getting you something you have been researching so long for. :)
This is exciting, don't be stressed out.

Don't let chemicals near it (this includes while cleaning stuff that will interact with it, and I only use non pesticide produce to feed to the feeders and whatnot)

Don't let it get too cold or too hot (but don't obsess) 17°C-30°C is fine. Fluctuation is good, they like day and night cycles

Don't overfeed it. It won't starve unless you don't feed it for months. Keep a water dish in case it needs to drink

If you do those basic 3 things it's the hardest pet in the world to screw up.

The forums are great for questions. Congrats on the hamorii! It's a beautiful spider
Welcome to the hobby :).
I think most things have already bee covered but remember we are all here to help.
Everything has been covered by people more experienced than me, but I wanted to say: Hello, welcome, and CONGRATULATIONS on the new spider!!!

They really are an easy species and you should have no trouble keeping it alive and well. There is a very wide margin of error.
Hi welcome to the forum and the hobby:)
congratulations on your new T...I hope you enjoy your new pet...everybody seems to have covered the basics already ..but they are easy to care for and wonderful to watch them grow..

I just wanted to thank everyone so much for not only the absolutely stellar advice but the warm and kind welcomes....I joined two different forms, this one, and another one and ya'll are so much more friendly. I think I'm here to stay. <3 Thrilled to finally be apart of the community!

Food/feeder tips for my little sweetie? It is currently eating crickets and I am going to my first reptile expo on Saturday! I'm absolutely in love with it already and I can't wait to sex it when it molts!

Sycohearted

Also-Also, it seems to be a Juvy? Feed it once a week, right? Will it "hurt" it to feed it twice a week? I don't want to power feed or anything, I just...I love him/her so much lmfao

nedaK

Also-Also, it seems to be a Juvy? Feed it once a week, right? Will it "hurt" it to feed it twice a week? I don't want to power feed or anything, I just...I love him/her so much lmfao
Feeding it more often will most likely result in faster growth but at the same time 2 times a week wouldn’t hurt too much. Also hamorii’s grow super slowly anyway. Btw growing slow doesn’t mean you should power feed it

nedaK

Hi everyone,
I am brand new to the T-Community but I have been researching on and off for about 5+ years, And today I was thrusted into the community and...I'm a bit frustrated and stressed by it. I am a person who spends years researching and collecting supplies for an animal before getting it and right now I'm in the deep end and drowning.
My favorite species since I was a child was the Brachypelma Hamorii...And today my sister gifted me a belated birthday gift- I'm sure you can guess what it was...

Well, despite my research I still was not ready or prepared for this animal and now I desperately need a list of must-haves for Tarantulas as well as enclosure recommendations. I think the critter keeper she gave him to me in is too big for him right now, I could be wrong but sizing, feeding, temperature and whether to mist or not are my biggest weakpoints. I REALLY think he needs more substrate in the enclosure and I want to get him so cork bark so he can properly hide/burrow.

I'm here to learn so bombs away, guys. Thank you in advanced.

This is what I am working with:
EDIT: As you can see he came in the cup that she put the crickets in.

60186293_2229135120466612_6504641267287195648_o.jpg

60114150_2229131543800303_6358288336825614336_n.jpg
About the enclosure size doesn’t matter in the wild they have the o whole world to explore:D

Latest posts