• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Monitoring B smithi when away from home

Incompletegeek

3 Year Member
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but spent some time rigging up a raspberry pi with a camera and humidity/temp sensor so that I can keep an eye on my first T. Wrote a couple of python scripts to take a photo every minute, overlay the time/temperature and humidity (of the main enclosure not the smaller pot) and upload it onto a subdomain of my blog.

Temp/humidity don't have much importance as not reflective of the small enclosure (will be more accurate and useful when she is bigger and in her adult enclosure) but it's nice to be able to check in on her occasionally when at work :)

Anywho, here is "Domino" the Mexican Red Knee: https://www.incompletegeek.co.uk/domino-the-brachypelma-smithi-mexican-red-knee-tarantula/

I have G pulchra and N carapoensis slings arriving friday. I was warned when I got Domino that she wouldn't be the only T I owned for long! :)

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There are home surveillance systems of the type used to monitor babysitters and your kids etc. There's no reason why you couldn't put a camera right by your enclosure, especially if it's plugged into the wall.

That would be awesome to put into the enclosure section of our forum!!

Where that would work great is monitoring your T when molting. If something goes wrong, you can tell your job you have a personal crisis and have to leave really early.

Incompletegeek

3 Year Member
I could do something similar with the raspberry pi and strongly considered having a fully live stream. However I wanted to do it in a security conscious way so that I wasn't opening up our home network to the world. The easiest way to do that was to have a photo uploaded over a secure method to my website hosting account and then a simple website to show that to the outside world.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Fishkeepers have had this for a while, monitoring water conditions from their phones, not sure about video though but I would think so. A kit dedicated to small animal enclosures would make money I reckon, get on it, become a Billionaire!!! :)

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've seen those cat cameras. I'd like to put one on Nyx my cat. Since Nyx spends most of her time watching my tarantulas & does this especially when they move, I could have just one camera.

Nyx Is there a God.jpg

Getting her to actually wear a collar....? Hmmmm...

Incompletegeek

3 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback guys. Bought a set of mobile phone clip on lenses so when the new Ts arrive today :))) I can see if a wide angle lens covers all three enclosures :) C. versicolor (the T that wanted first but couldn't get hold off anywhere) came back into stock at just the right time so I have cancelled the order for the N. carapoensis and will be unpacking my first arboreal after work this afternoon.

Arachnoclown: pop a camera on a stepper motor or servo and have it slowly scan the room?

I currently have the smaller enclosure inside a large plastic enclosure but with the cross breeze that C. versi needs am I better leaving her enclosure out?

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback guys. Bought a set of mobile phone clip on lenses so when the new Ts arrive today :))) I can see if a wide angle lens covers all three enclosures :) C. versicolor (the T that wanted first but couldn't get hold off anywhere) came back into stock at just the right time so I have cancelled the order for the N. carapoensis and will be unpacking my first arboreal after work this afternoon.

Arachnoclown: pop a camera on a stepper motor or servo and have it slowly scan the room?

I currently have the smaller enclosure inside a large plastic enclosure but with the cross breeze that C. versi needs am I better leaving her enclosure out?

I don't think you need to double cage C versicolor. They aren't a mean spider and don't have medically significant venom.

Since excess humidity can kill them, do use a humidity gauge simply as.a precaution. If it does get over 60% a gentle breeze on the side not directly hitting the tarantula can fix that.

If the C versicolor does position itself in the airflow, you know that your decision was correct and the humidity was to high after all.

C versicolor is a DRY spider that also should have an elevated water dish. Do this and you'll probably never have a problem with "Sudden Avic Death Syndrome".

Only digital humidity gauges are accurate enough for tarantulas and humidity can differ even from one side of the cage to the other. Try to keep it between 40% to 60%, which should basically be what is in your house.

If you keep having to fight with humidity, add more ventilation or get a better cage.

Incompletegeek

3 Year Member
Hi all, thank you for the C. versi advice. Very much appreciated!

Unfortunately the shop forgot to pack it :( So whilst the G pulchra is safely in its home and the crickets in theirs, the versi won't be joining us until Tuesday. In the meantime I have set up its enclosure and will post a photo shortly. I think I've done a reasonable job but always worth getting feedback from more experienced people.

Thanks again!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cool!! Here's how I did mine. I used an ExoTerra Nano.

For a smaller versicolor, Jamie's tarantulas and Fear not both make excellent juvenile arboreal enclosures at a very reasonable price.

C versocolor Charlotte's new enclosure nano1.jpg

Latest posts