• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moisture balls

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Has anyone used moisture balls for there slings before ? The man in the shop said they are designed for slings and hundred per cent safe, i've put some in for the bigger ones but not sure if I can give them to the tiny ones ? Vagabond is on his third one, I assume they just dissolve but he is loving them and looks like he's doing pilates.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
2014-01-21 18.11.19.jpg

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I will phone the shop tomorrow if no one on here can he help. I'm concerned about putting them in for the tiny babies incase they roll and they get squashed, probably unlikely but I will check. The ones that i've given them too seem to like them tho, especially Vagabond.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Please don't use them. Spiders cannot digest them, so they are not a good form of moisture. Rather use water. Cheaper and safer.
I agree completely. Why replace something as natural and simple as water with a synthetic version? This goes for the water gel crystals as well.
The only thing I can for "moisture balls" is for plants. Are these even meant to be consumed by animals?

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was told they are designed for slings I wouldn't give any of my animals something that I hadn't been advised was good for them. A lot of my slings are for too small for a waterbowl that's why I thought these were safer.

Last edited:

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Just give a slight mist from time to time in your slings enclosures. If you can find a waterbowl small enough for a sling enclosure, put one in if you like.

jon ross

3 Year Member
I was thinking the other day about what ill do for water wen i get a sling cos surly they could drown in even the smallest water bowl. What about a wet spounge??

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Only thing that I can think of that's worse than a ball, is a sponge.
Either mist the one side of the enclosure, or put a small waterbowl in. Spiders know a cool form of breaststroke. :)

jon ross

3 Year Member
Oh ok lol. I was told ts can drown easy. Ive got water bowls with a few stones in them in mine

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
All my spiderlings get a water bottle cap as a dish when they hit .5"
I have never had a spiderling drown. Smaller slings are kept on lightly moist sub to prevent dehydration.
Harleyqueen, pet stores will say anything to make a sale.

Tongue Flicker

3 Year Member
It could also cause fang problems for slings making hunting an unpleasant experience. I know, they could grow it again after a new molt, but has it have to keep on molting just to keep its fangs right?

Latest posts