• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Major's Tarantula Journal

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So tried feeding her, didn't just accept, but she did do some burrowing and webbing! When do you all think she may start accepting roaches, since she was on a cricket diet before.
Using all the information contained herein, combined with all my Tarantula expertise, and by utilising the latest complex tarantula algorithms I can provide you with a very precise and accurate answer to your question concerning the eating of roaches.
By my calculations I have determined the answer to be "when she's hungry enough". ;)

Major 78

Using all the information contained herein, combined with all my Tarantula expertise, and by utilising the latest complex tarantula algorithms I can provide you with a very precise and accurate answer to your question concerning the eating of roaches.
By my calculations I have determined the answer to be "when she's hungry enough". ;)

Interesting... Will apply this theorem to my notes I've take extensively, and the algorithms I have formed. This could be a live saving mathematic equation! Genius! :D

Major 78

Congrats on the new T! Hey, you had me going and I didn't see the puppy dog face, lol. Will send tracking soon! :)

Thank you! I can get anything with my puppy eyes. :)

So I got my Nhandu Chromatus! It's around 1/2 in, but looks bigger. Gave it an enclosure (Jamies Tarantulas) it's a bit big but knowing that this species grows fast I'm not worries. It's pretty stressed right now so I'm letting it be, but I did get a couple pics. Will upload those later. Also got some little Kenyan roaches, damn they are small! The new born nymphs are like the size of the tip of a needle! Oh yeah, and a deli cup enclosure, doesn't look as void as my others but works. Also, this all was a trade from Bugs In Cyber Space. Peter is a great guy. Mr. Clausen also ships quick, packs well. You all should check his website out, he's got some steals. Also, the Venezuelan suntiger on his website says out of stock but he told me he has some.

Major 78

OK so I decided to feed both my T's. The curly denied (pre molt perhaps, or just not hungry, the petstore stiffed him with crickets), and the Nhandu also denied. The Nhandu gave me the pleasure of my first bolt. :) Was so fast it was crazy. Was so used to my curly hairs " chill" vibes, did not expect this. I had a catchcup and some tongs though. I couldn't trap it in time, it jumped to my floor. Thank got it was unscathed, good thing we have carpets. Didn't seem hurt expect for a bit dazed. Put the cup over, slid a piece of paper under, and got it back in. Whew... Scared the living day lights out of me.

Also a bit of an ironic thing happened, my Mom fell in love with the curly hair! I showed her the Nhandu and she said it looked a bit odd, because it didn't have any noticeable hair and looked like a "new born kitten" (actual quote). She then went to describe the curly as "exotic, beautiful, majestic, a work of God, wonderful". I was shocked. She now loves him! My sister is terrified, my brother, a little cautious, but loves them. My dad doesn't care, as long as they are in the enclosures. I love them, I am officially addicted. At school we were talking about addictive drugs and substances in health. Everyone is saying "opioids, marijuana, cocaine, heroin, LSD, etc..." someone forgot to mention the tarantula hobby. Would have gotten an A for that. :)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congratulations buddy!!!!
tenor.gif

Major 78

Congratulations buddy!!!!View attachment 34568

That's me right now haha!

OK my brother started getting hyper (like any normal 3 year old) but then he slams his fist on my Nhandu Enclosure on the table. I'm just sitting there studying, while looking at her/him. So then it goes flying... I catch it one handed, not a drop of water fell out of the dish. :cool:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you! I can get anything with my puppy eyes. :)

So I got my Nhandu Chromatus! It's around 1/2 in, but looks bigger. Gave it an enclosure (Jamies Tarantulas) it's a bit big but knowing that this species grows fast I'm not worries. It's pretty stressed right now so I'm letting it be, but I did get a couple pics. Will upload those later. Also got some little Kenyan roaches, damn they are small! The new born nymphs are like the size of the tip of a needle! Oh yeah, and a deli cup enclosure, doesn't look as void as my others but works. Also, this all was a trade from Bugs In Cyber Space. Peter is a great guy. Mr. Clausen also ships quick, packs well. You all should check his website out, he's got some steals. Also, the Venezuelan suntiger on his website says out of stock but he told me he has some.

This is strictly my opinion, but regardless of what type of enclosure it is, it should be crystal clear like glass so you can see your tarantula.

Does the T care? Nope.

But it'll remove the temptation to constantly take off the lid every 5 minutes just to make sure it's ok. An opaque enclosure would have me going bananas in less then an hour.

If your tarantula is reclusive and dives for cover when you're only get halfway across the room, you can take binoculars and zoom in on it to watch it feed...but only if you have a clear cage!!

Yes, this is perfectly ok for watching a more fearful tarantula such as an old world species.

Major 78

This is strictly my opinion, but regardless of what type of enclosure it is, it should be crystal clear like glass so you can see your tarantula.

Does the T care? Nope.

But it'll remove the temptation to constantly take off the lid every 5 minutes just to make sure it's ok. An opaque enclosure would have me going bananas in less then an hour.

If your tarantula is reclusive and dives for cover when you're only get halfway across the room, you can take binoculars and zoom in on it to watch it feed...but only if you have a clear cage!!

Yes, this is perfectly ok for watching a more fearful tarantula such as an old world species.

I agree. The deli cup is crystal clear, like glass btw. But I'm not gonna use it unless I have to, probably just gonna use the materials that came with it.

Major 78

May be getting a Bumba Cobocla or two! They are so pretty! Love the red.

Make that a B. Cobocla, G. Puchrirepes, and a B. Bohemi if it works out! So excited. I have 2 enclosures done and ready. One is a nice acrylic enclosure that very nice, the other is a crappy deli cup enclosure. But that's temporary, so it doesn't matter. Also, the T doesn't care about appearance that's just me.