• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Major's Tarantula Journal

Major 78

OK, so the funniest thing happened last night. So we are going to move into a bigger better place today, so we obviously we're packing like crazy. Some of the boxes were almost 80-90lbs or so! So I was the one who had to move them to the front of the house, so the movers can come today and bring them to our new place. Damn... They were heavy. So I teeter-totter all the way to the front, my tiny legs wobbling beneath me, my knees waiting for the opportunity to give out. 80lbs might not seem to be a lot for you all, but remember, I'm 4' 9" and 80 lbs. I was soaked in sweat after moving so many boxes and packing for so long. So I go, drink like 4 glasses of liquid. (I say liquid because I drank several different beverages.) So I start getting nausea and cramps. Probably from lifting all that weight and then eating a lot right after... Then I see blisters on my hands. I wasn't worried. But then I start complaining about needing some anti-acid (tums, renitadene). My mom sees the blisters on my hands, sees me soaked in sweat, I have cramps, and I didn't look too well. Being a doctor she immediately assumed the worst. She was like "You T bit you didn't she?" I panicked because if my Mom thought that it but me on the first day she wouldn't let me keep it anymore. I explained how mild their venom was, how I didn't even handle it. She's finally convinced, hands me a couple tablets. Whew, close one.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
OK, thanks!!! So if I ever breed her I assume I should probably do so with a male of pure bloodline/ Nicaraguan to retain the gene?
Personally I wouldn't breed any Tarantula that I didnt know exactly where they came from...especially from a pet store.
I have dozens of Ts that I dont intend to breed just for this very reason. It doesnt mean that they still aren't amazing pets.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thats not a dumb question at all. I only bred with tarantulas from well known breeders. That way I dont muddy up the gene pool in the hobby. That's just me...I'm really picky when it comes to breeding stock.

What @KezyGLA was saying is it appears to have some true form traits. Because it was purchased from a major pet store that buys in bulk you will never really know if it's pure.

It does appear to be a true form, let's see what it looks like when it matures.;)

Major 78

Thats not a dumb question at all. I only bred with tarantulas from well known breeders. That way I dont muddy up the gene pool in the hobby. That's just me...I'm really picky when it comes to breeding stock.

What @KezyGLA was saying is it appears to have some true form traits. Because it was purchased from a major pet store that buys in bulk you will never really know if it's pure.

It does appear to be a true form, let's see what it looks like when it matures.;)

Ah. OK. That actually makes tons of sense. Like pure bred horses or dogs. Well, we can’t be 100% sure tell she matures! At this age, how long do you think it may take till she matured? A year or two?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've never raised one from sling till matured. @2" I'd guess another 1.5 -2years. Maybe someone on here that's raised one can chime in for you. All the ones I've ever had have been large juveniles or adults when I got them.

KezyGLA

3 Year Member
Even once it matures you can’t be 100%.

It should be labelled ‘Brachypelma albopilosum (Nicaragua)’. If you decide to breed it, all potential offspring should be labelled that too, as to avoid them being mixed with other localities or hobby stock in the future.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Well it’s very certainly fuzzy alright, the photos are just wonderful.
I hardly ever see my albopilosum unless she’s digging more tunnels, which is so funny to watch.
I wonder what’s next on the list! Keep us posted!

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Talking to a guy who owns a petstore about an hour and a half away, we are negotiating a trade! I might end up with another Nhandu Chromatus and a Brachypelma Hamorii! I'll give him some mantids in exchange for the tarantulas!
Well done! It's always good when you can trade, it's a win/win situation!
You're certainly on the way to having a exciting collection!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That is a striking tarantula, the curly hair. Certainly if paired with the right male, one that looks like yours, the slings will be wonderful.

Still, it might be best to just enjoy the spider and give it a good life. Use a clear cage that maximizes visibility and is user friendly. Minimize handling and be especially mindful NOT to ever touch your face or eyes if you are performing any tarantula related function in the cage!! This includes sexing and removing molts.

Be especially careful with contact lenses!!

Since you have a doctor in the family, take advantage of that and learn to wash your hands the professional way.

Brachys are easy to care for and all of mine are genuinely happy spiders. Some people collect nothing but that genus.

B vagans is also awesome & affordable. That one is a pouncy (great feeding response--think kitten chasing a string but not aggressive) fast growing T that's more hyper them most. (Might be my next brachys unless I do a curly hair). With tarantulas, price and coolness really don't go together at all.