• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Major's Tarantula Journal

Major 78

Hey! So basically this is a journal of my tarantulas. Just little updates on how they are doing, what I'm getting, new enclosures, etc... I do it on all the other bug forums too, it's a habit. So here we go. I've made 4 enclosure so far, and have 2 arriving next week. 1 is a Jamies Tarantulas Juvenile Terrestrial enclosure and the other is a Bugs In Cyber Space Tarantula Kit. I've already posted pics on another thread of them. Next week I will also be getting a free 1" Neoholothele Incei gold form. (Curtesy of @Casey K. , thank you!). Next I have a Nhandu Chromatus 1/2" sling that I'm trading for with Peter from Bugs in Cyber Space. And some little Kenya roaches. And I may be doing another trade for a female Brachypelma Bohemi and a Brachypelma Albiposalum. (I know I spelled those last two wrong sorry!) And today I walked to PetCo. Was going in just to buy some Eco Earth. Was checking out and the nice clerk asked what it was for. I told him "tarantulas." He asked me what species, I gave a vague answer and told him "Well, not just 1, but several". He then continues to point and say "We have a curly hair over there you know." He's handing me my change and I was so excited to look at a T since I haven't seen one in person in years so I walked off (jogged actually lol) and almost forgot to take my Eco Earth and change. He could tell I was excited since whenever I get excited my face does this thing I have no control over. My eyebrows raise, and my eyes LITTERALLY light up. I then start having this little bounce when I walk. It's pretty funny. But since I am 13 (but most people think I'm 8 due to me being 80lbs and 4' 9" haha) it doesn't look strange on me, it suits me lol. So we walk over and I see it. Didn't get a good measurement but I estimate 2 1/2 inches. It. Was. Gorgeous. Period. I think it's a male but not sure. I asked him a few questions to see if he had any clue what he was talking about. "What instar?" "Only molted twice in out possession, growing fast!" Next I ask, "Have you ever been haired?" "She is a little flicky, but since her hair is curly it doesn't stick too well on skin" That was mostly true but the hair shape affecting how well it stuck kinda sounded like bs to me. Again, not sure. "Did you know this is a terrestrial tarantula? Meaning she burrows, this 1 cm of Eco earth is not enough, you need 3-4 inches." He winced and replied "I know, but the rest of the staff are arguing with me and not letting me add substrate". The rest of the staff probably didn't want the several inches of substrate because it would burrow, and customers wouldn't get to see it. Poor thing... He said he's working on convincing the rest of the staff. I thanked him and left. So I knew what I had to do. I had $15 in my pocket. Not enough for it, it was $40 (overpriced I know). I decided to ask my Dad for money. I texted him and he said he will see when he gets home. I really wanna rescue her! (Praying it's a her) So when he gets back from work, I'm gonna bust out the puppy eyes, the pouty lip, and the fake watery eyes. Works every time. ;)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Haha I will! I never really though B. Albo's looked cool UNTILL I saw one in person!

When I was new to the hobby I tended to buy colourful Ts and never even looked at a B. albo until I got a freebie and fell in love. I bought 2 more just so I could watch those little bulldozers at work. Sadly 2 of those original 3 were males and have passed on but I still have 1 of them plus I now have a true form too.

Major 78

When I was new to the hobby I tended to buy colourful Ts and never even looked at a B. albo until I got a freebie and fell in love. I bought 2 more just so I could watch those little bulldozers at work. Sadly 2 of those original 3 were males and have passed on but I still have 1 of them plus I now have a true form too.

By bulldozing you mean it customized it habitat and burrows a lot? Also, what is the difference between the Nicaraguan (Hobby) and the Honduran (True) form? Did I mix them up?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
By bulldozing you mean it customized it habitat and burrows a lot? Also, what is the difference between the Nicaraguan (Hobby) and the Honduran (True) form? Did I mix them up?

As slings they burrow a lot and constantly redesigning the layout but they can be seen through the sides of their containers. As they get bigger they tend to burrow less and as adults are usually visible.
The Honduran is the hobby form and it's thought it may be a hybrid whereas the Nicaraguan is the true form and even more hairy than the Honduran.

Major 78

$40 is a fair price for one...good luck!!!!
P.s. the curly hairs aren't the ones you get haired with. It's the urticating hairs on the abdomen that get flicked into the air.:)

He said yes!!! I only have $15 right now which isn’t enough for it, but he said he will pay for the rest, but after I get it I have to work the debt off. (Chores...) He’s not letting me get any feeder roaches right now, but I have enough for a few weeks.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
He said yes!!! I only have $15 right now which isn’t enough for it, but he said he will pay for the rest, but after I get it I have to work the debt off. (Chores...) He’s not letting me get any feeder roaches right now, but I have enough for a few weeks.

Great news. Remember we will need photos when you get it :)

Major 78

Great news. Remember we will need photos when you get it :)

You bet! We will be leaving in around 30 min or so. It’s .7 miles away so super quick drive. Walk there very often to look at the animals. First time this specific store has had aT in stock in forever! They also had a emperor scorpion but my parents won’t let me keep scorpions. But excited to get my first T tonight! Wish me luck!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You bet! We will be leaving in around 30 min or so. It’s .7 miles away so super quick drive. Walk there very often to look at the animals. First time this specific store has had aT in stock in forever! They also had a emperor scorpion but my parents won’t let me keep scorpions. But excited to get my first T tonight! Wish me luck!
:D:D:D

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I ought to take a picture of the upside down volcano like mound one of my B. albopilosum slings created when bulldozing, that would be a good example of what they do when moving substrate around.

As for the difference between the Nicaraguan and the Honduran forms, give me a few minutes and I'll try to get images of mine (3 Nicaraguan, 1 honduran).

Major 78

I got it! Yay! The people there were terrified, none would put it in the box. But the the manager comes and does it herself, she even got haired a few times and didn't even blink! Oh yeah, the clerk gave us a $3 discount. It's now in my largest enclosure. Btw it's about 2 in, will get a more accurate measurement in morning. Took some pics but my camera is dying so have to charge it, will upload in morning. Didn't accept a Dubia, but she just got moved so is probably stressed. SUPER DOCILE. It's crazy, has also started webbing. The people at PetCo say the usually buy females sot his is most likely a female. My 3 yr old brother is screaming so will finish post in morning.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got it! Yay! The people there were terrified, none would put it in the box. But the the manager comes and does it herself, she even got haired a few times and didn't even blink! Oh yeah, the clerk gave us a $3 discount. It's now in my largest enclosure. Btw it's about 2 in, will get a more accurate measurement in morning. Took some pics but my camera is dying so have to charge it, will upload in morning. Didn't accept a Dubia, but she just got moved so is probably stressed. SUPER DOCILE. It's crazy, has also started webbing. The people at PetCo say the usually buy females sot his is most likely a female. My 3 yr old brother is screaming so will finish post in morning.
That is excellent. B. albopilosum was my first. Medium growth rate even at that size, overflow the water dish periodically and you are good.

Major 78

I got it! Yay! The people there were terrified, none would put it in the box. But the the manager comes and does it herself, she even got haired a few times and didn't even blink! Oh yeah, the clerk gave us a $3 discount. It's now in my largest enclosure. Btw it's about 2 in, will get a more accurate measurement in morning. Took some pics but my camera is dying so have to charge it, will upload in morning. Didn't accept a Dubia, but she just got moved so is probably stressed. SUPER DOCILE. It's crazy, has also started webbing. The people at PetCo say the usually buy females so he is most likely a female. My 3 yr old brother is screaming so will finish post in morning.

OK now that I’ve dealt with my brother lemme continue lol. So I bring it home, get it in its enclosure very easily, and let it settle in. I show my Mom... She was furious. She was fine with me keeping tarantulas, but she didn’t know this one would be this big. (Only like two inches lol) I then start being real nice to her to make her feel wetter about having this in our apartment. I pack a bunch of boxes, play with my siblings, etc... She eventually gets happier. She saw how happy my brother was about it (age 3). He was giggling and squealing (in a good way) and begging me to let him hold it. I obviously said no since I still haven’t held it and the lady at the store got haired by holding it, and my brothers skin is SUPER sensitive. Don’t wanna risk it for him. Right now it’s in its hide settling in. I’ll try feeding tomorrow. He was fed crickets, so I still have to get him accustomed to Dubai. Don’t wanna keep them nasty smelly crickets, they make so much noise. Dubai’s I don’t like either, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Super excited. Will post pic tomorrow.

Major 78

OK found my spare battery and it was fully charged so I uploaded pics, isn’t she a beauty!!
7936D288-359C-4FE3-BC69-24AFE8C95B69.jpeg
4DB88D10-02C2-41D7-9D49-863255E4E428.jpeg
2DBB93A0-A0D2-41E9-9AE4-6839CEB74061.jpeg
83677618-B0D4-4250-B36D-93123D3A314F.jpeg
F9AAD173-573C-4980-B9AB-B8D22B6A2612.jpeg
1E08065D-C380-460F-B00E-BE4553E85275.jpeg

Looks big in photos but really only about 2 inches. Love her!

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Excellent! You're well on the way to becoming a crazy tarantula person!
If any tarantula can win your mum over it'd have to be that fluffball!!! How can you say that's not cute?
It sounds like you need to really think about security though, once 3 year Olds get something in their heads they can be almost unstoppable. I'd advise taping the lid down with electrical tape just to be safe (peace of mind for mum too). Electrical tape peels off easily without leaving a residue and can be reused many times, all my enclosures are taped down to some extent just incase they get knocked or moved.

Major 78

Excellent! You're well on the way to becoming a crazy tarantula person!
If any tarantula can win your mum over it'd have to be that fluffball!!! How can you say that's not cute?
It sounds like you need to really think about security though, once 3 year Olds get something in their heads they can be almost unstoppable. I'd advise taping the lid down with electrical tape just to be safe (peace of mind for mum too). Electrical tape peels off easily without leaving a residue and can be reused many times, all my enclosures are taped down to some extent just incase they get knocked or moved.

Oh don’t worry. I gave him a healthy amount of fear and respect for it.

Latest posts