• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

M.giganteus

Tara Russell

3 Year Member
Yeah I can really say the same you can even look in the eyes of crickets and see how mad they look ._. my first Rosie died because of a cricket due to a fact Petco (which I no longer go to that one unless it's a different Petco or I go to Petsmart) lied to me and said don't worry dump 4 or 5 crickets in there and ''DIDN'T'' tell me to take them out the next day. I buried her in spider tissuepaper in a small box. I know I may have sounded so stupid of myself but hell I was a first time Tarantula owner so I believed never again do I go to that Petco (even know when I returned the Tarantula I told the manager what happened and he seemed very pissed off at the worker that lied to me) bleh whatever.

Tara Russell

3 Year Member
My second Rosie I got from Petsmart (the lady at the Petco that I returned my dead Tarantula to asked if I wanted another one here) my reply was no thank you I'm going somewhere else

AlyeskaWolf

3 Year Member
My second Rosie I got from Petsmart (the lady at the Petco that I returned my dead Tarantula to asked if I wanted another one here) my reply was no thank you I'm going somewhere else

Oh...I unfortunately worked at a PetSmart when I was younger...terrible...most of the employees have no idea what they're talking about, because the training isn't very good. There's also a "sick room" in them...that is...a nightmare. I didn't last long before going to a small independently owned shop where it was way better. I just get disgusted by PetCo and PetSmart. They don't do animals any good. Good choice not going back.

AlyeskaWolf

3 Year Member
Yeah I can really say the same you can even look in the eyes of crickets and see how mad they look ._. my first Rosie died because of a cricket due to a fact Petco (which I no longer go to that one unless it's a different Petco or I go to Petsmart) lied to me and said don't worry dump 4 or 5 crickets in there and ''DIDN'T'' tell me to take them out the next day. I buried her in spider tissuepaper in a small box. I know I may have sounded so stupid of myself but hell I was a first time Tarantula owner so I believed never again do I go to that Petco (even know when I returned the Tarantula I told the manager what happened and he seemed very pissed off at the worker that lied to me) bleh whatever.

Oh and yeah, don't blame yourself...

Tara Russell

3 Year Member
Oh...I unfortunately worked at a PetSmart when I was younger...terrible...most of the employees have no idea what they're talking about, because the training isn't very good. There's also a "sick room" in them...that is...a nightmare. I didn't last long before going to a small independently owned shop where it was way better. I just get disgusted by PetCo and PetSmart. They don't do animals any good. Good choice not going back.
Yeah the only time I go into Petsmart now is for cricekts and worms etc I really don't feel like buying wads amounts of them online anyways now I buy pets online way much better also I'm lucky I saved my poor Rosie from Petsmart he molted the next day after I bought him they had him in a tiny mini kirtter keeper I wouldn't have known how that poor Rosie would've molted in that small mini kritter keeper it's really sad

csshepherdgirl

3 Year Member
You can't judge 1300 stores on your particular one. I work at a big box store, and our quiet room definitely isn't "horrible." All our pets get prompt medical care. Perhaps instead of vilifing a company, you report what you saw to the right connections. Oh yeah, that was a long time ago.

Here's a little ditty to digest: the pets sold in stores aren't meant to be there for very long. How much room would it take up to hold these animals in their intended permanent habitats? For instance.. each feeder comet in a pond! Think about it. Of course there are practices that I don't agree with, namely the useless care guides, but it is up to the consumer to be aware of what they are buying. But not ask pet stores are staffed by 18 year old trying to make a quick buck.

Last edited:

Latest posts