• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

M. balfouri Communal

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was reading some field observations about Australian Tarantulas a while back and it was reported that the slings would stay together in the females burrow and that the female would bring prey back to the burrow for the young to eat. Unfortunately this wasn't backed up by further study, purely because there were no follow up studies.
It would indicate that it's possible that in some species slings would be communal up to a certain point, and that bunching together would give them a better chance of being where the food is deposited.
Only musing of course, but it's possible that bunching together is instinctive in some species up to a certain instar/age.

RAFREGROB

I did have them in a 20x15x15cm enclosure but I thought it may be too big for them at the moment. 2 stayed together and the other 2 went off separately. I did read that this can lead to them establishing territories and could cause problems so I’ve got them in a much smaller deli tub at the moment. They seem more than happy and as you say, have made a web house and live practically on top of each other.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
All Ts are happy. They all live together. They share prey items. They each come out together at night. Tom Moran thinks that his communal individuals thrive more than the balfouri individuals. While I can't confirm that observation, my specimens do seem to a happy "family"
IMG_20190124_205012.jpg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
All Ts are happy. They all live together. They share prey items. They each come out together at night. Tom Moran thinks that his communal individuals thrive more than the balfouri individuals. While I can't confirm that observation, my specimens do seem to a happy "family"
View attachment 35024
I'm jealous....:p

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I wish I'd found this thread a year ago, despite my failure there, my M balfouri communal is also going very well. Epic webbing and tunnels.

I, too, frequently see a lump of spiders pressed against the glass, just like your pic

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wish I'd found this thread a year ago, despite my failure there, my M balfouri communal is also going very well. Epic webbing and tunnels.

I, too, frequently see a lump of spiders pressed against the glass, just like your pic
I lost my male about 6 moths ago. Matured out and died. Interesting, he was a sex machine, but the 2 females were too immature. Mother nature knows best!!!

x_raphael_xx

I bought 1.5cm balfouri sling (Nancy Sinatra) two weeks ago, after reading through this thread I've decided to get two more, and house them together.
I'm buying from the same vender so assume they are more than likely from the same sac.

When introducing them would it be better to put all three in a bigger enclosure so they have a little personal space before 'meeting'?

Nancy is currently in a 5.5cm diam pot, but I do have a 9cm pot I can put them into.

Is it best all three go into a new environment together? Rather than the 2 new arrivals invading Nancys established burrow?

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I bought 1.5cm balfouri sling (Nancy Sinatra) two weeks ago, after reading through this thread I've decided to get two more, and house them together.
I'm buying from the same vender so assume they are more than likely from the same sac.

When introducing them would it be better to put all three in a bigger enclosure so they have a little personal space before 'meeting'?

Nancy is currently in a 5.5cm diam pot, but I do have a 9cm pot I can put them into.

Is it best all three go into a new environment together? Rather than the 2 new arrivals invading Nancys established burrow?
sounds like me 3 years ago. I promise, you will never regret a balfouri communal. By far it will be your most "go to" enclosure.
I don't know what Tom M. would say, but my meager experience would suggest that they start over in a new enclosure. Good luck, mate!

x_raphael_xx

sounds like me 3 years ago. I promise, you will never regret a balfouri communal. By far it will be your most "go to" enclosure.
I don't know what Tom M. would say, but my meager experience would suggest that they start over in a new enclosure. Good luck, mate!
I think doing it sooner rather than later is best, I wouldn't want to try and start a community in a couple of years with a T who's been on his own for a while!

x_raphael_xx

We'll the two new balfouris arrived, all three have been put in a new enclosure together.
The two new ones are a little bigger than the first, so I'm a little nervous for him, but they seem to be playing nicely at the moment.

x_raphael_xx

We'll the two new balfouris arrived, all three have been put in a new enclosure together.
The two new ones are a little bigger than the first, so I'm a little nervous for him, but they seem to be playing nicely at the moment.

The Nancy Sinatras...
IMG_5320.jpg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I would give them more web anchor points, like a hunk of cork bark or a clump of damp moss, or both

Latest posts