• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

M. balfouri Communal

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
3 weeks ago, I was at the Orlando Repticon. There were 5 1.5inch Socotra Island Baboons available. I opted to buy 3 of the little guys. I decided to try a communal. I set up a Jamie’s standard terrestrial enclosure with plenty of hiding places. I put them in their new home and crossed my fingers. These little guys were sac mates, but they have lived apart for over 5 months.
To my surprise, they have slowly become a close-knit team. They share crickets. Even more impressive, all 3 have decided to live under the same shelter. They have each taken turns to web it up. Often, I find them literally overlapping each other for some unknown reason. There has been absolutely no violence or aggression. They seem to cooperate together.
I’ve included a few bad pics in my next post. I’ll keep TF posted, if desired, on their growth, development, and how they are behaving as a communal.

Attachments

• IMG_0539.JPG
    IMG_0539.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 44

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
3 weeks ago, I was at the Orlando Repticon. There were 5 1.5inch Socotra Island Baboons available. I opted to buy 3 of the little guys. I decided to try a communal. I set up a Jamie’s standard terrestrial enclosure with plenty of hiding places. I put them in their new home and crossed my fingers. These little guys were sac mates, but they have lived apart for over 5 months.
To my surprise, they have slowly become a close-knit team. They share crickets. Even more impressive, all 3 have decided to live under the same shelter. They have each taken turns to web it up. Often, I find them literally overlapping each other for some unknown reason. There has been absolutely no violence or aggression. They seem to cooperate together.
I’ve included a few bad pics in my next post. I’ll keep TF posted, if desired, on their growth, development, and how they are behaving as a communal.
You can try a communal with this one too...:p

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
This is awesome. I've wanted to do this since I saw Tom Moran's videos on YouTube. I have a single M. balfouri, and love the little dude.

Please keep us posted. Share all the details and pics. I'm living vicariously through your set up there and hope to learn a bunch and enjoy it in the process. Thanks for sharing!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
great post @WolfSpider I have a commune of 5 M balfouri...Not that you can tell as the enclosure is just basically web! Also got a commune of P mets (x6). They are really interesting and hunt in packs too.

I paired my M Balfouri in September but the female moulted. The male has been in there all the time and they live in perfect harmony....they were even at it the other week with another pairing attempt.
20181209_183014.jpg

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wow Phil, she's beautiful!! It figures...you are always a step ahead. Good luck with the pairing. If I have questions, I'm coming to you!!!!
White lightning, I love the cage--expensive but we'll made. When they get the size of Phil's beauts I plan to place them in one of her giant terrestrial e closures.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wow Phil, she's beautiful!! It figures...you are always a step ahead. Good luck with the pairing. If I have questions, I'm coming to you!!!!
White lightning, I love the cage--expensive but we'll made. When they get the size of Phil's beauts I plan to place them in one of her giant terrestrial e closures.
my post may have been misleading. I have a communal of large slings. The female I had kept on her own for a couple of years and then a friend's balfouri matured and so just threw him in basically. he has been there about 4 months now. But will deffo keep the forum updated on any progress from the pairing...she surely can't moult on me this time!!!!

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
my post may have been misleading. I have a communal of large slings. The female I had kept on her own for a couple of years and then a friend's balfouri matured and so just threw him in basically. he has been there about 4 months now. But will deffo keep the forum updated on any progress from the pairing...she surely can't moult on me this time!!!!
Still fascinating. To just drop the male into the female's enclosure and not have him get eaten??? Four months? Wow. Learning new things here daily. I didn't know that was even a possibility. I don't know whether mine is male or female yet, but it sounds like this will make breeding much easier.

Last edited:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Still fascinating. To just drop the male into the female's enclosure and not have him get eaten??? Four months? Wow. Learning new things here daily. I didn't know that was even a possibility. I don't know whether mine is male or female yet, but it sounds like this will male breeding much easier.
in theory they are one of the easier to breed. the male colours are different to females, the females tend to have a lighter carapace than the males (although that is by no means a scientific fact, more a personal observation). The little fella I have may be the exception. he has not eaten but always has water available. he looks a bit of a state TBH. it he still seems to be able to pin her up and give it a try anyway. not 100% there was an insertion bit fingers crossed. Her is link to original pairing

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
63BC6DE3-9DC0-46B2-A307-9249391D1794.jpeg
63BC6DE3-9DC0-46B2-A307-9249391D1794.jpeg
Just an update. All 3 slings are growing like crazy. See the big butt in the attached pic. About 1.5 inch DLS now. I have found that only one at a time comes out to “sun”. However, all of them are hiding in the same burrow (Which is crazy because they have so many hiding places). My communal prefers to make a “house” where each one of them has a “web room”. At times, as I have poked around, I see them touch each other with overlapping legs. It is absolutely shocking how they, not only tolerate each other, but actually prefer to be near each other. Can’t wait until they moll!!!!!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
View attachment 34281 View attachment 34281 Just an update. All 3 slings are growing like crazy. See the big butt in the attached pic. About 1.5 inch DLS now. I have found that only one at a time comes out to “sun”. However, all of them are hiding in the same burrow (Which is crazy because they have so many hiding places). My communal prefers to make a “house” where each one of them has a “web room”. At times, as I have poked around, I see them touch each other with overlapping legs. It is absolutely shocking how they, not only tolerate each other, but actually prefer to be near each other. Can’t wait until they moll!!!!!
sounds cute, that are having a cuddle..LOL

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
the male had another attempt on the female recently (she moulted after the pairing in September so that was the end of that). I was feeding all my Ts and he was outside her burrow where he has been most if the time living in the same enclosure, she just came out really calm and they made sweet spider love. ha ha
20181209_183027.jpg