• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

LP Advice

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nice. I got mine at 1.5", so it was out of the hiding phase. When I did get it, it was in pre-molt and it built a burrow to hide in (or molt in?), but it closed it up from the outside (??) and never used it! It's still there...just no access. lol! Crazy T's...

They're not so crazy though, there is obviously a reason for them doing the things we find odd otherwise they wouldn't still be around.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My B. Boehmei had stopped hiding when it was just under 1" LS. Before that I hardly ever saw it. It's got a lovely cork bark hide, which it has actually dug out a bit more, but only uses it during the night. During the day it always sits on either side of its enclosure. It seems to be in premolt at the moment (fat greying bottom and not eating), but while it used to be invisible for at least a month during that time, it is still out and about.
At the moment it's my T. gigas sling who's the reclusive one :( (long premolt phase), I only see its toes or bum occasionally.

PamCz

3 Year Member
Someone's always hiding, huh? It's like playing whack-a-mole with a camera, tying to get pics. I'm kind of just waiting until they start hanging out OUTside the burrow. Noticed my B. vagans (1.25-1.5") has been sitting outside for the past few days. It's just fun to watch all the behavioral (& color) changes they go through as they grow. :)

Payden King

3 Year Member
My b albo is ALWAYS in sight. I even gave her a pot to hide out in but she's either on it or beside it because she's never in it. My OBT is the one who hides the most. My little a genic loves to dig but still is always in sight. Never actually hides in her tunnels. It's very funny. Even my rose hair loves to be out. She'll run and hide in her log if my dog barks but that's just about it. She is sitting on my kitchen counter Cuz shes the one who gets the most attention. My little sisters love to watch her.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My b albo is ALWAYS in sight. I even gave her a pot to hide out in but she's either on it or beside it because she's never in it. My OBT is the one who hides the most. My little a genic loves to dig but still is always in sight. Never actually hides in her tunnels. It's very funny. Even my rose hair loves to be out. She'll run and hide in her log if my dog barks but that's just about it. She is sitting on my kitchen counter Cuz shes the one who gets the most attention. My little sisters love to watch her.

My Rosea is the only one who reacts to my dog's bark. She's not bothered about my shepherd's bark, but my Husky X has got a higher pitched bark that goes right through you (like a Chihuahua on steroids) and the Rosea used to throw a threat pose. I think she got used to it now.

Payden King

3 Year Member
So I have decided on names.
Jacquenette
Pip
Gisselle
Mouse
Spinderella
Mole

Enn I took some of your names because they were too cute to pass up! I love it!

PamCz

3 Year Member
I thought it was super cute!!
Geez...I love Pip and Mole, too! @Enn49 should be a professional pet namer. (Is that a job?? o_O) I'm so very uncreative in the naming department...lol Perhaps Pip if I ever get a pygmy of some sort. And Mole...I swear, I'm about to change the name of my O. sp. Cebu to Mole. It's never out...that I see. I saw this morning that the hole was open, I looked in and tapped, and saw movement, so I put in a cricket. I will look in the middle of the night on a "pee run." ;) I hope the cricket is gone by morning. I'd feel much better about that T.

p.s. Was just thinking...if I ever get a Chinese Fawn (Chilobrachys guangxiensis).....yeah, Bambi. lol

Thivo

3 Year Member
Hi there... Well, about taking care of LP, mine was the smallest of all T's that I have and it molted twice already... Here is it's photo... Sorry for the second photo for it is blurred, trying to maximize the macro focus of my mobile phone...

20150429_063524.jpg 20150429_063715.jpg

So imagine how tiny they were when I received it... Anyway, I just put a little amount of substrate, for about .3-.5cm into their vials then feed them with small chunks of shrimp or cut the roach or cricket into half and just place it inside, they ignore it at first... But still they will eat... Put few drops of water every other day or two, try to drops into one side of vials and I am trying to keep a drop of water in touch on side where I assume the slings can drink...

Temperature and humidity here is fluctuating but as I observed they are still doing fine... Now I just add a little bark of wood for it's hide, but I observed that they like to stay outside and top of the bark than hide...

Latest posts