• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

LP Advice

Payden King

3 Year Member
So out of all my ts I've not yet owned and LP but a friend of mines LP just had babies. So needless to say I'm getting 5 of the babies as soon as they are ready to be shipped. If anyone has any advice for me on taking care of the little babies I'd appreciate it!! :)

Also here's a picture of them so far :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 30

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Gosh, I can't believe my 2 were ever that small.

I've not had tiny ones, mine were 1'' when I got them but they are pretty tough Ts, eat well and grow fast.

Payden King

3 Year Member
Thank you!! They are beautiful spideys. Can't wait to get them!! Enn.. When I walk through pet stores and see the little baby pink toes I can't help but smile thinking mine used to be that little!! Idk what it is about pink toes but they always make me smile.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We don't have a local petstore that sells Ts near me which in my case is probably just as well as I'd never be out of it. Of my Ts the one that makes me smile most is my tiny weeny E. sp "red", it is always trotting around in full view, it makes no attempt to hide and hasn't even made a burrow.

PamCz

3 Year Member
@Payden King Ha! That's so small...first instar! How cute. I know what you mean, @Enn49! Mine molted a couple weeks ago and is now 3.25", maybe plus some. They grow a LOT with each molt, nearly an inch this time. Hard to believe that voracious little beastie I have was ever so small. o_O

Payden...the LP will burrow and be hidden until it's pushing 4'', I'd say. Mine has just now really started to show itself and has opened the burrow up on both ends, so it's not as hidden. Gaining confidence with size, I guess. :)

Enn, I really want a E. sp red! I hear they are some of the nicest, most handleable T's out there. I'd love to add one to my collection. I have a E. pulcherrimaklaasi, but it is NOT calm & docile, nor handleable. lol

And...you're right Enn, about having a LPS near. I have one about 25 mins away that sells a local T breeder's spiders...good quality, unusual specimens for pet stores to carry...& so, I call to see what they have when they get their orders. Just picked up a 3" (suspect female) Ephebopus uatuman tonight! Now, I know that I definitely wouldn't have ordered it online...but since it was right there, in person (no shipping)....and I don't currently have one...it came home with me. HAHA!! So...yes, no LPS near saves you time & money, I'm sure of it! ;) (I bet that local T breeder guy knows that if he sends a different species juvie around each time...I'll buy it! I'm his dumping ground! :cool:)

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As far as burrowing LPs go, my 2 were completely different one burrowed and the other didn't. Mole earned his name by digging everywhere, making a total mess of his container and spent months on the bottom. On the other hand Pip went under the cork bark and sat with its feet showing. Now at almost 6'' neither hide away but Mole still digs.

Payden King

3 Year Member
I might have to steal those names lol!! They are super cute!! I have 6 to name now because I'm gonna get one more. I love the little goons. I also love the size they get. I have a Goliath right now but she's only about 6". I love watching them grow from so tiny to so big. my OBT has been webbing like crazy the last two days. More than usual. I think she's on the verge of molting. She's just under 3 inches. Maybe like 2 1/2. My adult c darlingi has been digging and webbing more too. Hoping for a molt from her!!

One of my favorites to watch is my a geniculata. She's always digging but never stays in the tunnels. She digs and then fills them in and digs again. The only time she stays in there is when she's molting.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a Pip(squeak), too, but Enn49 bet me to the name, lol.
Mine is still under 1" (he/she was 1cm DLS when I got him) and has molted 3 times. He never burrows or hides (he's got a kind of tunnel he dug out under a lump of substrate, but maybe it's because he is in an opaque tub (couldn't find any small enough clear ones).

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You're welcome to use the names. Pip was originally Pipsqueak as it was the smaller of the 2.

The ones I have really enjoyed watching are the B.albos. They have dug constantly, always changing their tunnels round but always visible scuttling round on the bottom.

PamCz

3 Year Member
You're welcome to use the names. Pip was originally Pipsqueak as it was the smaller of the 2.

The ones I have really enjoyed watching are the B.albos. They have dug constantly, always changing their tunnels round but always visible scuttling round on the bottom.
My B albo does NOTHING. It sits there all day in the burrow, waiting. For what? I suppose...just waiting to grow up. Like any other child...lol

I upgraded it's enclosure recently, and I made the burrow it's in. It just took it over...and waits. lol!! o_O I'll try to go get a pic of it sitting there...

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My B albo does NOTHING. It sits there all day in the burrow, waiting. For what? I suppose...just waiting to grow up. Like any other child...lol

I upgraded it's enclosure recently, and I made the burrow it's in. It just took it over...and waits. lol!! o_O I'll try to go get a pic of it sitting there...

All 3 of mine have done the same thing. The largest one is now just over 1'' and has started sitting out in the open but the other 2 are still down below.

PamCz

3 Year Member
Good to know mine's somewhat normal...lol

OTOH, I have some slings that NEVER go underground. Notably, my A. geniculata and my G. pulchripes. They're always on top, like "Hey! You got some food out there? Do you mind if I take a stroll??" **climbs out and starts wandering** :eek:

PamCz

3 Year Member
My 2 B. smithi have never gone underground but most others have to some degree.
Nice. I got mine at 1.5", so it was out of the hiding phase. When I did get it, it was in pre-molt and it built a burrow to hide in (or molt in?), but it closed it up from the outside (??) and never used it! It's still there...just no access. lol! Crazy T's...

Latest posts