• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking for advise

Payden King

3 Year Member
I also agree. They are my pets. After having my spiders for so long I did quit holding them because I know it doesn't do anything for them. However I do get them out if I am transferring them because I think it stresses them out less to let them crawl out where they want as opposed to me poking at them to be in a "transfer cup". I only get them out when they need to come out like when I am transferring them or cleaning hides and need them out of the way. I let them crawl around where they want and they are so much less stressed out crawling on my leg while I sit and fix their tanks than they would be with the poking of being pushed into a transfer cup. And I love my spiders. They are my pets. I talk to them like I do my dog. I disagree that they are "ornaments" so much. No matter what people think.. They are living creatures. Not a wall decoration. They need to be respected as such. I do not hold my spiders for thrill. I let them crawl out onto me on their own time when doing things to their enclosure that they can not be in there for. If that's my hand or leg then it's my hand or leg. If its the floor then it's the floor. I don't care. As long as they aren't stessed and I can keep an eye on them. I do not do this with my old world T's as it is too dangerous for both of us since they do not calmly walk where they want like the others do. So no. I don't handle them for fun. I don't agree with handling them just for thrill or to show off. I absolutely hate when people have Rosie's at zoos and things for people to hold. That tarantula is on its death bed being held up in the air for thrill just so you can have a "I held Rosie" sticker. But I also don't agree with poking them on the butt or leg to lure them into a cup because that is also stressful. I just leave their tank open when I need in there. They can go where they want when they want with no stress on them. It's worked for me and you can disagree with me that's fine. But when I say I handle my ts this is what I mean. Not that I invite people over to watch me hold a big hairy spider for attention.

But they are still real creatures. Real live animals. They are not "ormaments that need fed" they are live animals that need cared for and you are their keeper. You have to respect they are a live animal and not just an ornament that needs fed. They are your PET because you are the keeper of an animal that needs your care to survive. They need more than just to be fed. PETS are animals that you take in with the idea that you are the one who has the responsibility of caring for them. If all you see them as is an ornament that just needs fed then you might need to reevaluate the fact that you are in charge of whether these creatures live or die. That makes you an owner of a pet. Not an ornament.

Down with OBT

3 Year Member
You may think of them as a pet and treat them as such, but the simple fact is an animal that cant show emotion is not a pet.
Therefore the only true pets are mammals and birds.

long story short basically you're saying a killer whale(orca) in captivity is someone's pet?

a king cobra can be a pet?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
long story short basically you're saying a killer whale(orca) in captivity is someone's pet?

a king cobra can be a pet?

I don't know of anyone who keeps an whale in their home, do you? To me a pet is an animal that you keep in your home and love as a member of your family whether or not it can love you back. Snakes only see humans as a warm tree but they are still kept as pets.

Down with OBT

3 Year Member
To me a pet is an animal that you keep in your home and love as a member of your family whether or not it can love you back.
based on your definition mine are not pets. Mine are more like plants to a plant person. I do what I can to make them thrive, but if for some strange reason one would die I'll just go get another.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
But some people treat their plants like pets.
They're not pets in the normal sense. To most people, a pet is something you interact with, like a dog or cat. Tarantulas are more display animals. Look but don't touch pets if you will.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think we need to agree to differ on this. To me mine will always be pets, they all have names and I do talk to them although I don't expect a response. I don't handle them though.

I always remember being laughed at for talking to a snake, snakes don't have ears I was told. Over a period of time I noticed our first and then, only snake would react when I spoke so I did some research and discovered that they can hear the human voice at normal pitch up to 11 feet away as they still have internal ears. Who knows whether or not tarantulas can hear us.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think we need to agree to differ on this. To me mine will always be pets, they all have names and I do talk to them although I don't expect a response. I don't handle them though.

I always remember being laughed at for talking to a snake, snakes don't have ears I was told. Over a period of time I noticed our first and then, only snake would react when I spoke so I did some research and discovered that they can hear the human voice at normal pitch up to 11 feet away as they still have internal ears. Who knows whether or not tarantulas can hear us.
They have no ears, therefore they can't.

TheJuicyFruit

3 Year Member
They don't have ears but they do sense vibrations, right? I cant imagine every vibration is identical to a tarantula, I would imagine reverberations from a voice would be discernible, and possibly over time associated just the feeling of being spoken to with something that's not a threat. Granted, I'm not even sure if tarantulas have brains capable of "learning" to any extent, but I feel like mine bolts less if I talk a little bit close to the cage before opening it.

EDIT: I found a very interesting thread about this on Arachno freaks. Anyone interested in this subject should give it a read http://www.arachnofreaks.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2619

Last edited:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They don't have ears but they do sense vibrations, right? I cant imagine every vibration is identical to a tarantula, I would imagine reverberations from a voice would be discernible, and possibly over time associated just the feeling of being spoken to with something that's not a threat. Granted, I'm not even sure if tarantulas have brains capable of "learning" to any extent, but I feel like mine bolts less if I talk a little bit close to the cage before opening it.

EDIT: I found a very interesting thread about this on Arachno freaks. Anyone interested in this subject should give it a read http://www.arachnofreaks.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2619
They're very primitive animals operating under the most basic kind of instinct. Its very unlikely that they can tell the difference.

LittleByrd

3 Year Member
When it comes to matters like this, I think its all a matter of opinion. Most people consider their Ts pets some don't, some think it makes a dif to talk to them some think you look crazy doing that... Its all a matter of opinion and experience, if your Ts respond to the vibrations of your voice they've probably become very accustomed to you doing that and removing that familiar element from there everyday life could cause stress while if you don't ever talk to yours of course your not going to see a difference in your Ts whether you talk to them or not because you just haven't done that all there lives they arnt accustomed to it.
Again I go back to matter of opinion. I personally talk to every animal I have ever owned whether I thought they could understand or hear me or not

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
cats give me the creeps...lol they r always up to something. sneaky buggers. lol I trust my T's more than cats! lol jk.

Latest posts