• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Jumping spiders

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I looked at the photos and, maybe it's just me, but I don't understand exactly what I'm looking at. Where is the sticky side of the tape? I would like to do this with my little one because I am always ruining their hammock every time I have to open the container to give food or water.
I am having a brain fart trying to figure out how the tape is positioned.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I did a search on YouTube, but none of the videos show a tape setup like this one. There are people with some awesome setups out there for their jumpers. Mine is ripped off... big time. Hahaha!

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ok I see now,
its because the tape is rough enough to provide anchor points for them to web,
I kept a jumper all winter,
but I did a basic arboreal setup, used lots of twiggy branches, tape sounds easier :p

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The idea from what i've found is to use the tape, with little else to get the best view of the jumpers as they'll spend most of their time in the web hammock/hide they build on the tape. Twigs, branches, etc just get in the way of their view of the prey and our view of them. Not really sure if that matters, they have such amazing vision.

Tape goes up the side and curves out and back down, like a candy cane, then you double it back over the sticky side so the lil guys don't get stuck. I used that drab yellow/brown masking tape in mine, i don't have any blue painters tape. and it's like 1.5" wide so may be too much, but we'll see. I'll take a pic of it tonight when i get home.

I just need a jumper to put inside of it :D

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i was at a picnic last weekend and it was warm. there was a little jumper on the table i was sitting at. me and my cousins boyfriend were feeding the little guy aphids. he was like a begging dog. looking up at us for the next little morsel. lol thought it was awesome! .....sorry to go off on a tangent, just thought it was relivent :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i was at a picnic last weekend and it was warm. there was a little jumper on the table i was sitting at. me and my cousins boyfriend were feeding the little guy aphids. he was like a begging dog. looking up at us for the next little morsel. lol thought it was awesome! .....sorry to go off on a tangent, just thought it was relivent :)
Lol that's awesome :) They're not quite out and about here. I've had 2 people tell me they saw them but i can't find any yet.

I went to take a pic of my setup and noticed how poorly i had done it. Probably because of the 2" wide tape, it looked worse than i thought it did when i made it ;) glue edges on the tape were exposed and i hadn't cleaned the side of the enclosure enough so it was starting to peel away. I'll redo it this weekend when i can pick up some better (more narrow) tape and take pics.

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
Screenshot_2016-05-05-23-07-23.png
Found this male bold jumping spider in our minivan. Thinking on keeping him till the fall. Already ate one cricket.

joncylm49

3 Year Member
I believe most of them only live about a year,
Info varies some sites say 11-14 months others say 3-5 years.
Most say approx. a year.
http://wiki.bugwood.org/HPIPM:Jumping_Spider
A one-year life cycle is typical of jumping spiders. The most common species spend the winter as a nearly full-grown but still immature stage; some other species mature in fall. During the cold months they are usually found in a silken retreat that they construct in sheltered sites. The spiders mature in spring; males usually mature a couple of weeks before females.
I have 2, i got a aviculara pink toe and he jumps sometimes and he is very dosile. I got a rose hair and he's easy to handle and take care of. I will post pic's later.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Got lost there for a second trying to figure out jumping roseas ;)

I saw a jumper this week, but wasn't able to catch him. Didn't have anything i could keep him in on the 7th hole of the golf course ;) He was just wandering across the green. That means they're out around here! :D so i should be able to catch one soon

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
YAY!!! I was walking out of my office building to go to the building next door and in the entryway i saw a P. audax crawling on the floor. He's now in a cup with a paper on top and a roll of tape holding that down with a few tiny holes poked in the paper :) I'll go home at lunch today and get an enclosure to put him in and a branch with a few leaves for him to build his hide on, then i'll have an office desk pet :D

I'll update with pics when i can take them

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here he is, or she maybe. Very simple enclosure, all they need is a place to make their web hide so I glued a stem of fake leaves in the corner. I'll let him settle in for a few days then bring in a roach to feed him.
20160516_124614.jpg
20160516_125113.jpg
20160516_125128.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Its true in the case of P audax, for sure. The males of this sp are easily discernable by the Popeye front legs. Females are shorter legged, no big muscles, fat bodied. And much less easy to find, most of the time. I guess even female jumpers are fond of the hide, I see them very rarely.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Its true in the case of P audax, for sure. The males of this sp are easily discernable by the Popeye front legs. Females are shorter legged, no big muscles, fat bodied. And much less easy to find, most of the time. I guess even female jumpers are fond of the hide, I see them very rarely.
yep from all i've been able to find on them the females are rarely away from the hide except to eat. Males roam and most common to be found. Like my little guy :) Popeye is a great name, thanks Mass!

He hasn't started his hide yet, he's still cruising around the kritter keeper he's in. Don't think he likes being contained. I'll try feeding him tomorrow and see if he eats. If not i'll take him outside and let him go :(

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
he ate!! gave him a mid sized little kenyan roach, he ran from halfway across the kritter keeper and slammed into. I was hoping he would jump on it :( But he's eating so i have a jumping spider!! :D

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
he ate!! gave him a mid sized little kenyan roach, he ran from halfway across the kritter keeper and slammed into. I was hoping he would jump on it :( But he's eating so i have a jumping spider!! :D
Awesome! I just wish they lived longer. If they did I'd have dozens :)