• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Jumping spiders

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've just found Phidippus regius for sale in Germany for 5 euro ($5.60) but I'm waiting to hear back on shipping price.
$14 here but $40 shipping. phids.net has better shipping prices but not the species i want. Unless I bite the bullet and get some fruit flies for it.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd really like a Hyllus diardi but I was put off by the higher temps needed and the amount of light they need, I'm limited to where I keep them by my cats.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd really like a Hyllus diardi but I was put off by the higher temps needed and the amount of light they need, I'm limited to where I keep them by my cats.
They wouldn't work for me either, i don't get much light in the bedrooms where we keep the collection. Looks like i'll have to wait for later in the spring and see what's available.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
WP_20160316_10_34_32_Pro.jpg
Ya'll don't have jumping spiders all over around your areas? I thought they were everywhere..heres one on the ceiling above my bed a few days ago, not our usual P audax, I haven't identified it yet:
It looks almost like a grass spider. He's in the corner of my closet now, I gave him a lateralis nymph and followed him :)

VanessaS

3 Year Member
We have a handful of species in Southern Ontario that I have photographed. But, due to the fact that they are usually much larger than others, the P. audax is the one people see the most. I have also photographed Platycryptus undatus, but they are less than half the size of Phidippus audax and are difficult for most people to spot unless you are looking for them... like I am.
This was a mature male I found on my balcony. The female was on the screen of my balcony door. Five of them could have fit on my pinkie fingernail - they are that small.

Attachments

• _DSC8480-2-2.jpg
    _DSC8480-2-2.jpg
    634.7 KB · Views: 18
  • _DSC8467-2.jpg
    _DSC8467-2.jpg
    820.6 KB · Views: 18
  • _DSC8458-2.jpg
    _DSC8458-2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's fantastic..they're really that small? I wonder if we have those here..I may just not have noticed them. My first time actually taking notice of the P audax, one was hanging about a foot above my face when I woke up :) One of the things I like about Texas, we have good and plentiful bugs. I found my new scorpion in my bathtub.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
My little P. audax has webbed almost the entire top of their enclosure. I opened it yesterday to feed them and there was webbing everywhere! I felt so badly that I was ruining it, but this morning they are back to chilling in their web hammock in the corner... with a full belly.
:D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My little P. audax has webbed almost the entire top of their enclosure. I opened it yesterday to feed them and there was webbing everywhere! I felt so badly that I was ruining it, but this morning they are back to chilling in their web hammock in the corner... with a full belly.
:D
I like the fact that they can see you anywhere in the room, and they turn their bodies to watch you:)

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah it pretty crazy to me. They have super vision and dont run away from u, being a huge being. but they will flee when i predator come into range. Its like they know we arent going to eat them. Just makes u think they know we arent going to eat them...i dont know. just thinking out loud here.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
View attachment 15316 Ya'll don't have jumping spiders all over around your areas? I thought they were everywhere..heres one on the ceiling above my bed a few days ago, not our usual P audax, I haven't identified it yet:
It looks almost like a grass spider. He's in the corner of my closet now, I gave him a lateralis nymph and followed him :)
P. audax mostly, only one i can recall seeing. Too cold for them still to be out and about in the "wild" on our walls. I'm hoping they come out soon so I can catch a few and raise them :)

And i just saw phids.net is out of jumpers until May. so that will work perfect for my b-day if i want to raise other species :D

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
Got plenty of jumping spiders in my backyard. No need to spend money. I had one live 1.5 years. Found it as a 1/8 inch in our house. Grew to 1.3 cm female specimen. O wish I had taken pictures of it.

micheldied

3 Year Member
I don't know much about jumpers, even though I caught and kept many as a kid (I grew up in the tropics, and there were maybe 20 local species of jumpers). I believe the tropical species tend to live a little longer, though I could be wrong.

Personally, I'd go for the Portia and Hyllus species. I never kept either despite them both being local to me in my childhood.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had a pet audax live almost a year in the corner of my kitchen. That was years before I became fascinated with inverts. Always did think they were cool, even before pupating into a bug nerd.
WOW....:rolleyes: u did pupate into a nerd lmao. that cracked me up..... damn! what does that say about me? lmao

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
weather is turning here finally :) i've seen one jumper, or what looked like one, it was gone before i could get close enough to verify. Got a small enclosure setup up for one. Going with the masking tape trick to build their web hide on.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
weather is turning here finally :) i've seen one jumper, or what looked like one, it was gone before i could get close enough to verify. Got a small enclosure setup up for one. Going with the masking tape trick to build their web hide on.
Masking tape trick? I musta missed that?

Latest posts