• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Jumping spiders…any reason you’d say not to buy one?

MBullock

3 Year Member
For me it's the short lifespan,but they are so beautiful it is hard to say no.
female phidippus species can hit 3-4 years if kept properly. you gotta basically keep them dormant for long periods. short photoperiods and long dark periods. I had a nikites female make it past 3.5 years, though the final year all she did was eat and lay around lol

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
I suppose they do not talk about much here because the post is mainly about tarantulas. Their cute active hunters and come in different colour patterns. But am sure if you're a spider fan you won't be disappointed when you get one or two, three and four.

MBullock

3 Year Member
watching dark den on youtube trying to corral one needed Benny Hill Music. That jumper was like watching lightening.
the trick is to let them do their thing and move slowly. i imagine he was thrashing his hands around quickly to block the spider's movement. That makes them hate you more. Dont make them feel cornered or followed they hate that, and some, like species in the johnsoni or purpuratus groups may bite you if they feel thats the only way past you.

gotta earn their trust if wild caught. A good way is to find a clean area and just let them out. just simply open it and let them emerge themselves and explore. Keep a constant presence but dont interfere, anticipate their behavior and trick them into doing what you want. that way they get the illusion of freedom and have no reason to fear you.

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
I find with wild jumpers my best interactions come when I put my hand out slowly near them. They are generally inquisitive and about half the time they willingly jump on and explore my hand a bit before moving on. I've even been able to get some to hunt flies that were pestering me by moving my arm with the fly near a random jumper in the area. Cool as heck