• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this possible?

thescotts33

My husbands curly haired tarantula (female) somehow got into my Mexican red knees enclosure (male) and we missed some of it but she ripped off one of his legs and we rushed to get her out of there as quickly as possible. Anyways we’re here a few months later and she laid an egg sack. Is it possible they bred before she decided to go all John wick on him? I can’t tell if it’s fertile or not. Would those two spiders breed? How can I tell if it’s fertile or not? Stressed out over here haha.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My husbands curly haired tarantula (female) somehow got into my Mexican red knees enclosure (male) and we missed some of it but she ripped off one of his legs and we rushed to get her out of there as quickly as possible. Anyways we’re here a few months later and she laid an egg sack. Is it possible they bred before she decided to go all John wick on him? I can’t tell if it’s fertile or not. Would those two spiders breed? How can I tell if it’s fertile or not? Stressed out over here haha.
I reckon they could have attempted to breed. If they somehow succeeded in pairing I doubt a fertile eggsac would be produced. It is probably a dud. It’s also possible that it could be a phantom sac.

There is no visual signs of a fertile or infertile eggsac, only time will tell. While it’s not an always a reliable sign, is the T. albopilosus protecting the eggsac? Usually the female will abandon the eggsac if it’s infertile.

Out of curiosity, how did the T. albopilosus make it into another enclosure?

thescotts33

I reckon they could have attempted to breed. If they somehow succeeded in pairing I doubt a fertile eggsac would be produced. It is probably a dud. It’s also possible that it could be a phantom sac.

There is no visual signs of a fertile or infertile eggsac, only time will tell. While it’s not an always a reliable sign, is the T. albopilosus protecting the eggsac? Usually the female will abandon the eggsac if it’s infertile.

Out of curiosity, how did the T. albopilosus make it into another enclosure?
It was an emergency situation, someone needed it gone immediately and put it in a cup so we didn’t have another cage at that moment, we put a divider in my tarantulas enclosure until my husband could run to the store and get a new enclosure, he accidentally left the back part cracked and instead of escaping she decided to shove the lid upward and somehow squeezed herself over the divider and into his enclosure. We weren’t home as we ran out to get a new enclosure and when we got home she had ripped his one front leg off and had him cornered. It was a complete disaster. The person said they were gonna drop their tarantula off the next day cage and all and instead decided to drop her off at 10pm, in a cup with foil as a lid, didn’t inform us till an hour later that she was on our porch table. Ugh.

Yes she’s guarding it with her life but it looks flat as a pancake, it’s not round like a golf ball or anything.

thescotts33

Then to add insult to injury my poor spider’s personality has completely changed since that day. He used to love being held now he flicks hairs and attempts to bite and just wants to sit in his cave 24/7, it’s been months since it happened like 6-7 months.

Latest posts