• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is michelle itching/cleaning herself?

dhclark92

3 Year Member
Sup everyone, im new with the tarantula thing and I think my rose hair is AWESOME! Well now she has her spindlers pointing outwards and is using her back legs to.. perhaps clean them ? she is continuing this motion though with her fangs and legs next to her fangs?? what exactly could she be doing?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hard to tell. If by spidlers you mean the spinneretts, she could me making a moult mat, or he could be making a sperm web. It doesn't sound like anything to worry about. Just leave it alone, and observe in the next couple hours. It'll either just stop, flip on it's back, or start filling its embolus with sperm. Thes actions may take many hours, so be patient, and just leave it be for a couple days.
Pictures, (if you can get them without disturbing the Tarantula) would be helpful.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I do love watching them cleaning themselves. my new b smithi has three legs in his mouth for a while then rubs his abdomen. most of my others use one or two legs so I think the new one is very good at multi tasking. how long have you had the spider for. I hope it's ok.

dhclark92

3 Year Member
Useful information guys, thanks! I have had her since halloween weekend... two weeks. Shes fine i let her run lose around my bedroom and she is very explorative and nice, and not scared of me

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Useful information guys, thanks! I have had her since halloween weekend... two weeks. Shes fine i let her run lose around my bedroom and she is very explorative and nice, and not scared of me

Don't do that! that unfortunately is one of the worst things you can do with a T. Tarantulas are very very fragile and are easily killed.hey can also be very fast when they want to. which could quickly get them in trouble. And there is also the risk of chemicals, like if you have wooden furniture some maybe treated with mild pesticides,or may have cleaning residue remaining on them. Please for the benefit of your T stop letting it loose.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've never met one called Michelle tho that is cool.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think rose hairs are more curious about things and more interested in things than most of the other t`s I've owned before. they seem to work things out quite quickly too.