• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hybrids

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol. Bring out the torches and pitchforks! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

Through the mist, through the woods, through the darkness and the shadows. It's a nightmare, but it's one exciting ride. Say a prayer, then we're there, at the drawbridge of a castle, and there's something truly terrible inside. It's a hybrid breeder, he's got fangs, razor sharp ones - massive paws, killer claws for the feast. Hear him roar, see him roam, but we're not coming home 'til he's dead. Good and dead! Kill the Breeder!

Sorry your post made that song run through my head so i had to modify and share :)

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That makes me sick. Wow, what an irresponsible ass. You purchased a particular species, and he should have provided that species! I'd be beyond pissed if someone did that to me! I'm sorry he did that to you. Who is the dealer so we can boycott?
A local breeder here in the Philippines. LOL. However, not so many T enthusiasts right over here though so very limited sources.

bookac

3 Year Member
NO!
Say NO to Tarantula crossbreeding and hybridization!

Here is why:

Currently there are over 100 genera and over 900 different species of Tarantulas in the world. Only a fraction of those species can be found in the hobby today. Out of those few genera Scientists and Hobbyists are still not 100% sure what species under some of those genera are.
Aphonopelma, Avicularia, Ischnocolus und Pamphobeteus are only a few of them that are in need of a major classification clean up.

Creating a hybrid Tarantula in captivity is a great concern to most hobbyists and Tarantula breeders/dealers today.

Just take one persons fascination with creating a hybrid Tarantula, what do you think that person will do with 100's of them? Can s/he sell them, no, most likely not! Either they will be given away or even worse set out into the wild.

If given away, no one can guarantee that person will not continue to breed that hybrid Tarantula in the future, you get the point?

Now let's take a look at a hybridized Tarantula in the wild! What if this hybrid Tarantula now breeds with the current population of a local species? Some of our species are in need of a thorough classification, this will make it even worse if a hybrid has now passed on his gene if fertile.

Keep the pure breeds pure and say NO to irresponsible Tarantula crossbreeding and hybridization.

What are the advantage and disadvantages of owning a hybridized Tarantula?

Advantages:
-You have one Tarantula that looks different from any other one.

Disadvantages:

-In the past scientist and hobbyists have documented that many species are often infertile and can have other side effects and complications throughout their lifetime.

-Some spiderlings/adults are already very difficult to differentiate from one species to another, now imagine trying to tell a hybrid apart?

What can you do to prevent hybridization from Happening?

1. Only breed true Tarantula species that you know come from a reliable source (breeder/dealer or hobbyists you trust).

2. Don't breed different species.

3. Don’t purchase or accept free hybrid Tarantulas.

4. If a hybrid ends up in your collection, don't breed it and most of all don't give it away. It must stay in your collection.

Thanks for the explanation.. i needed to know this things ..

bookac

3 Year Member
Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no hybrids, hold no lands, father no children. I shall not breed and sold them. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of tarantulas. I pledge my life and honor to the T's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no hybrids, hold no lands, father no children. I shall not breed and sold them. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of tarantulas. I pledge my life and honor to the T's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.
Lol.

Latest posts