• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hybrids

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
12821c3650026d99466dbec50e8c2b87.jpg

Anyone want to take a guess on this species of Ceratogyrus?

So if you're asking, I guess it's not a simple C marshalli?!

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Yeah, at least I would...

So, what is it???
C.brachycephalus x C.darlingi. Even the species that would seem straight forward can easily get confused. I have seen numerous people misidentifying brachycephalus as darlingi. Someone breeds the 2, sells the slings. The buyer raises the spider and then realises that it looks like something else. Asks on the Internet and gets told it's marshalli. More hybrids in the hobby. My point is just that I would really not be surprised if we have tons of hybrids in the hobby with so many new hobbyists and their Google encyclopedias

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
C.brachycephalus x C.darlingi. Even the species that would seem straight forward can easily get confused. I have seen numerous people misidentifying brachycephalus as darlingi. Someone breeds the 2, sells the slings. The buyer raises the spider and then realises that it looks like something else. Asks on the Internet and gets told it's marshalli. More hybrids in the hobby. My point is just that I would really not be surprised if we have tons of hybrids in the hobby with so many new hobbyists and their Google encyclopedias
Well, to be fair, we're not all entomologists. You use what's available. It's not like taxonomy isn't a mess, anyway..

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
And that is my point exactly. I am almost certain that there are plenty of hybrids out there in everyone's collections. And i would still like to know if anyone checks their spiders against official description papers. I have been taken on before for keeping hybrids, but yet it seems like most people do the same without even realising it.

Thistles

3 Year Member
I'm pretty sure my "Brachypelma vagans" are hybrids and I think most in the hobby are. They have sort of half-albiceps carapaces during some instars. No, I doubt most people check their tarantulas against the descriptions and in many cases that would require the dissection of the animal in the first place.

Crossbreeding tarantulas is different from crossbreeding most other pets in that we are dealing with distinct species rather than just different breeds. A labradoodle is still just a Canis lupus familiaris. There are plenty of amazing animals available to us, so let's not risk losing them to create a Frankenspider.

@Scoolman listed a lot of good reasons not to do it, but I disagree with him on one point: given the opportunity, always accept a free hybrid to keep it out of the hands of someone who might breed it.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very true, there is plenty of unintentional cross bedding going on. All the more reason to squash the idea if doing it deliberately.

Last edited:

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's a bummer, just found out myself that some local breeders here routinely crossbreeds b. smithi with b. auratum. And I may have one, which is unfortunately my favorite T in my collection. The dealer hinted on this when I asked him yesterday but would not flat out admit it. :rolleyes::mad::oops:

I for sure will not breed this one as it is fortunately male. :T:

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's a bummer, just found out myself that some local breeders here routinely crossbreeds b. smithi with b. auratum. And I may have one, which is unfortunately my favorite T in my collection. The dealer hinted on this when I asked him yesterday but would not flat out admit it. :rolleyes::mad::oops:

And here we have an example of an irresponsible breeder deliberately cross breeding and passing out the offspring.

Thistles

3 Year Member

That makes me sick. Wow, what an irresponsible ass. You purchased a particular species, and he should have provided that species! I'd be beyond pissed if someone did that to me! I'm sorry he did that to you. Who is the dealer so we can boycott?

Latest posts