• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hybridization; and why it's bad.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
The problem with hybridization is that at some stage someone is going to sell their hybrids as some other pure breed.
There are enough accidental hybrids in the hobby anyway that we should be more worried about.

swimbait

3 Year Member
I agree, that's why I said only if done in a controlled environment. If this was done in a facility where there was absolutely not going to be slings sold then the results could be extremely interesting. Think about a succesfull T.blondi and P. murinus hybrid! That would be a bada** spider

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Then there is still the problem of what happens to all the 100s of unsaleable Ts.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Exactly. Like I said, rather worry about all the other hybrids that most people own if they have any Avicularia, Chilobrachys, Hysterocrates, etc in their collections,

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Also why I said if it's done in a controlled environment in which the majority of the slings are euthanized.

But they wouldn't be slings because to see the true colours/patterns they would need to grow to maturity.

swimbait

3 Year Member
In this controlled environment two species could be bred together, then a certain amount of those hybrid slings can be kept for observation where as the rest of them could be euthanized. No reason to raise the entire sac too see results.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
In this controlled environment two species could be bred together, then a certain amount of those hybrid slings can be kept for observation where as the rest of them could be euthanized. No reason to raise the entire sac too see results.

It maybe that not all the slings from a sac would inherit the same traits so you could end up euthanizing the best ones.

swimbait

3 Year Member
Yea you are definitely right, It could be a 1/10000 color morph or something like that. That's my point though, imagine this being done in a seriously controlled environment. One where they even could raise all the slings to respectable sizes to find out. I think it could end up benefiting the hobby, just done in an extremely controlled environment. Too bad that will never happen:D

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Greed tends to get the better of people sometimes and they sell the slings as something else.
Will try get some pics of a spider for everyone to identify later this week

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ever notice how tarantulas of the same genera and species can have slight variations dependent on locale or just molt cycle? Now add in these controlled hybrids. Hundreds of unidentifiable tarantulas in the hobby. Sooner or later...actually no, just soon the unidentifiable become misidentified to make more unidentifiable. You want to raise up generations of thousands of slings to prove out genetics on something that will never command top dollar... be my guest. But it'll be a waste of 10 years . Chitin is not pigment. Albino, melanistic etc cant be achieved..just dark form, light form etc.

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
Based on my experience with garters (same question comes up a LOT since there are so many species in the same genus) hybrids will tend to look like less-desirable versions of the parents.
A big reason behind this is that the alleles often won't match up. A human example is deafness; you can have two deaf parents, both possessing two alleles for deafness. If these alleles are located at different areas of the chromosome, none of their children will be deaf. And that's within the same species. The likelihood alleles are going to match up between different species is even less, so in addition to creating a taxonomic nightmare, you probably wouldn't even get the traits you want.

DTG

3 Year Member
The problem with controlled environment situations is it does not stop there. If someone sees an article on hybridization and they think it might be interesting to try and if they are successful and put them out on the market, someone who is unable to move them will sell them as a full species. I know this is happening in England as the BTS recently put an article out about it. Someone hybridized Psalmopoeus irminia and cambridgei. Another hybrid that seems to be showing up here in the U.S. is Brachypelma baumgarteni. People are making them artificially. I do not agree with doing it for any reason. If animals are to be hybridized, let the Lord do it, not us humans:)

R.NUTT

3 Year Member
Some kid who wants to create something no matter the means just for his own doing (or to make money which is even worse). Disgrace to the hobby, if you can even class him as a hobbyist after this.

DTG

3 Year Member
I agree completely. There is no benefit to the hobby or tarantulas in general by hybridization. In the right circumstance, it could wipe out a population of species in the hobby. If P cambridgei or irminia were no longer imported, (I do not know if they are still imported), and a few of the mature hybrid males were sold as one species or the other and were bred into pure lines, then it is possible that people would not even realize it for a generation or two and the problem would just snowball and every hybrid bred into pure lines would destroy that entire line. If it happens for multiple generations all those spiders would need to be destroyed and those breeding projects would have taken away from the captive pure population. This can easily become an impossible situation.

swimbait

3 Year Member
Albino, melanistic etc cant be achieved..just dark form, light form etc.

Do you have a source for this information? I am not supporting hybridization, but I would like to see the article/ research done on the subject. The more I have gotten involved in the social media part of the hobby, the more I have seen people making definite statements such as this one but having no source. I'm not saying YOU don't have a source which is why I'm asking if you do, I haven't been able to find anything online about it.

Thivo

3 Year Member
Hybridization is work by scientist/person who wanted to have a difference and create a new specie which is not natural... If ever, let nature do its own way of creating new specie/s of T's into this world and be discover... Not through this way of hybridization just for someone who maybe want to be popular or to have an expirement... This is not a science project... It's God creature which has it's own individual characteristics to be specific by their own way... Let's respect it...

swimbait

3 Year Member
Hybridization is work by scientist/person who wanted to have a difference and create a new specie which is not natural... If ever, let nature do its own way of creating new specie/s of T's into this world and be discover... Not through this way of hybridization just for someone who maybe want to be popular or to have an expirement... This is not a science project... It's God creature which has it's own individual characteristics to be specific by their own way... Let's respect it...

lol then whats your view on the hundreds of color form we have produced of corn snakes, leopard geckos, ball pythons, red tail boas, reticulated pythons, etc.. None of that had anything to do with a God, whats the difference? Again, I'm not supporting hybridization of tarantulas but you guys need to have valid points

Thivo

3 Year Member
lol then whats your view on the hundreds of color form we have produced of corn snakes, leopard geckos, ball pythons, red tail boas, reticulated pythons, etc.. None of that had anything to do with a God, whats the difference? Again, I'm not supporting hybridization of tarantulas but you guys need to have valid points

In my own point of view... Those results produced by human kind are not original species or naturally breed in wild on their own... Instead it is genetically cross bred by forced, experimented without knowing what is the outcome of it but still done just to produce a new kind of specie, coloration, appearance etc... Just for the sake of what? The difference is that those hybrid species are produced by human and not by God... Spiders are one of the oldest species that survived since ice age, and T's is one of those... If Hybridization done to T's, the authentication, originality, characteristics of each T's specie may be endangered and then only those hybrids will remain...

Latest posts