• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hybridization; and why it's bad.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I find myself increasingly frustrated with people in this hobby lately, and I recently viewed a website that infuriated me so much that I feel the need to open a discussion here.
The website in question promotes Hybridizing Tarantulas for Scientific research. If the owner of the site new anything at all about the implications of hybridization in tarantulas in our hobby, he would no doubt understand why "Hybridization for Science" is such an insult.
so... Why is Hybridization so bad ? Simple. Taxonomy.
Tarantulas are not snakes, or lizards, you're not going to achieve color morphs, but what's worse is what you will achieve. A taxonomical Nightmare. Taxonomy on Tarantulas is muddled as it is, hybridizing just further complicates the gene pool and therefore taxonomy. There are so many Tarantulas that are in question for being potential natural hybrids, and Tarantulas (like the common rose hair) that have been given so many sub species that it's increasingly difficult to accurately know what you have. Hybridizing Tarantulas, in many ways forces future hybridization, and may essentially eliminate many common true species.
Hybridizing is not only irresponsible, but it is a complete detriment to the hobby, but also a slap in the face to responsible breeders.

End Rant.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hybridizing is not only irresponsible, but it is a complete detriment to the hobby, but also a slap in the face to responsible breeders.
Exactly, very well put.
If you do some research you will also find this individual is very new to the hobby, and not very knowledgeable about tarantulas, let alone breeding.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's not just him unfortunately, I've been noticing a lot of new "hobbyists" trying to hybridize T's. Even a few here.
It's very frustrating.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yeah, the kid is young, and foolish, but more importantly unwilling to accept criticism. I replied to that thread and he flat out tried to blame me for jumping on the shunning band wagon. Either way he has been place on my ignore list.

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
But even after he was told that it was blatantly irresponsible he still continued to carry on with his doings. So I don't think he really cares. He is in the process of changing his name now too and I checked his site and he has taken it down. So maybe all the heckling and flack he received has changed his mind. But who knows!

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have been corresponding with him throughout the day. He has admitted to me that he was wrong and "need to rethink everything". He was very receptive to my explanation, and plea to not go through with his plans.
He is just a newbie that needs to be shown the path. You know how heated things get over there.

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
I like that it's populated over there and there are many discussions to chime in on, but I love this one because it's so laid back, there is nobody flaunting epeens, and it's just so peaceful! I wish more Canadians were on this site so I could do some business! :p

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for the link to that cause! I'm in...and now I have to go find that thread everyone is talking about lol

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
The threads were not about him hybridizing, it was his signature that brought up the topic. But the point is rather mute now. I quit responding to them before they all got closed.

orange bity thing

3 Year Member
Hai guys sirs
i post a thread in general discussion
please chech it about cross breeding.
i just want to know their side effects :)
i dont
agree in hybridation

swimbait

3 Year Member
How do you know color morphs cannot be achieved? I am not here agreeing with hybridization by any means, although I do think there are things that could be achieved that are previously thought to not be possible. I think hybridization could benefit the hobby IF, AND ONLY IF, it was done in a controlled environment, and the slings were not sold. If it was done somewhere that the slings except a few were euthanized and the ones not euthanized were raised in the same place, I think it could have benefit. You never know what could happen. I 100% agree that it should not be done by any normal hobbyist and they should not be introduced into the trade for the obvious reasons

Latest posts