• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to get your tarantula used to being handled

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well because we are human and curiosity, more often than not, influences our decisions, I will continue to hold my T's even after the day I am bitten because I'm not an uneducated person and I do not hold my T's without the expectation of being bitten. It's a risk I am aware of and a risk I am willing to take. It's called a temperament stick and yes I use one. Right or wrong, it's been my experience that it works for me AND my T's. So I'll agree to disagree here.
As will I,but won't judge a keeper by his choices just give an opinion no matter how disliked it may be but it is 100% open and with points to refer to.

TimCurtis19

Handling is best when the Tarantula is in a curious mood. If I take the lid off the enclosure and the Tarantula climbs up and is clearly looking for somewhere to go, i.e is stretching their legs around looking for solid ground, I might put my hand there to offer up somewhere for them to explore. Then you will see that they walk around calmly and seem to be exploring a new place. Eventually I will let them walk off back into their enclosure. But then again I will only do that if I know I can handle the Tarantula! Brachypelma Hamorii, fine. Stromatopelma Calceatum? Not fine.

I don't like (and don't do) guiding the Tarantula onto my hand because they might not be in the mood for it and that's when the stress levels can become and issue. Also using a brush or something to push them up the wall of their enclosure can have the same effect. The moment the Tarantula stops going where you tell it to and seems to cuddle itself in protection is when you must leave it alone. If the Tarantula wants to go out and have a walk fine, but don't forget to be safe. Once on my hand I would get down on the floor or bed, and hold it as low as possible, and never be behind it in case it kicks hairs!

Latest posts