• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi from the UK

Jamie531

3 Year Member
Thanks everyone; unfortunately the weather here is still pretty terrible so Phil hasn't been able to send them to me yet. I have however had more time to get the enclosures ready. Im planning on using this for the purple tree spider :)

20180409_181844 (1).jpg

Sorry about the image size

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks everyone; unfortunately the weather here is still pretty terrible so Phil hasn't been able to send them to me yet. I have however had more time to get the enclosures ready. Im planning on using this for the purple tree spider :)

View attachment 29339

Sorry about the image size

Phil hasn't sent my P. sp Blue yet either because of the weather but I think he's hoping to post this Wednesday so maybe you'll get yours on this week too.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Im hoping to get a few nice photos of them but im also slightly nervous that slings are known to bolt haha. Its going to be an interesting experience unpacking them for sure!

I do mine on a light coloured sheet spread on the floor inside a 9l Really Useful Box or similar. It's very rare they escape the box but if they do it's usually up your hand so make sure they can't get up inside sleeves and always have a catch cup at hand.

A lot of people do them in the bath but make sure plug hole and overflow is blocked

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I clear the table, arrange desk lamps to give me good lighting where I'm not working in my own shadow, then lay everything out ready. I have a tub to work in, only about ten cm high, but it has a lid, the lid is always in easy reach, I have a spare tub too, slightly larger, but that can be anywhere in the room, hopefully it won't be needed. I also have some smaller tubs ready, one for placing packing material such as sphagnum moss or tissue into as I unpack and another to place the shipping tubs into as they are emptied, it pays to keep things neat. There may be an occasion when you reach the bottom of the tub and you haven't found the sling, if the moss is in a tub you know it has to be in there somewhere. I haven't had that with slings, but I have with tiny scorpions, at least they glow in uv light. Then I lay out the other equipment, tongs (two if you have them, a "poker" (paint brushes are popular) then a catch cup and something to slide under it. I also have a marker on hand to label enclosures as the slings are put into them, you don't want to be confused once the unpacking is done. Then it's just a matter of loosening the lid, placing the container into the tub, removing the lid and carefully removing packing with the tongs until the spider is uncovered. This is one danger time, some will become agitated and bolt from the shipping tub, I simply put the lid on the tub I'm working in and wait until both the spider and myself are calm. Sometimes a sling will climb onto sphagnum moss or tissue which can be slowly lifted into the enclosure, most will hide in a piece of drinking straw if placed at the edge of the tub and can be moved that way. If not, I put the enclosure into the larger tub I have waiting and try to guide the sling to the corner of the tub and into its enclosure, if the tub is touching decor in the enclosure most will follow the corner down and climb onto the decor, they generally want to get out of the open tub into some cover to hide. If the sling is just too hyper to work with, I just use the catch cup, but that can be a bit hard too. If the spider doesn't bolt, I put the new enclosure into the work tub and pick up the shipping container with tongs, try to have it touch the decor or at least the edge of the enclosure, then gently coax the spider out. This is the second opportunity for them to bolt, sometimes they just keep walking around the outside of the container and won't go into the enclosure. Sometimes all you can do is let them 'escape' into the work tub and use the catch cup. As long as you're organised it won't be a drama.

Oh, and of course the transport containers are washed and stored. The sphagnum moss can be reused too, I wash it, then "blanch" it with boiling water and let it dry before storing it for later use.

Last edited:

Jamie531

3 Year Member
Thanks for the advice! Ive got a larger container i can fit the new enclosures in and an extra catch up and a nice clean paint brush. Now its just depends on how tricky the sling wants to be! Im sure it will all go fine and ive done plenty of research and watched loads of unboxing videos; fingers crossed it will all go to plan and il be able to get a couple of photos doing it as well :)

Jamie531

3 Year Member
Both slings arrived alive and well, ive just finished successfully rehousing both of them and they seem quite happy and active. The versicolor did give me a small heart attack though and i thought it had died in the post; turns out it had molted in the post :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Both slings arrived alive and well, ive just finished successfully rehousing both of them and they seem quite happy and active. The versicolor did give me a small heart attack though and i thought it had died in the post; turns out it had molted in the post :)

Congratulations on the new arrivals and successful rehousing. It can be a heart stopping moment when you see a moult and think the worst, It's happened to me a few times.:)

Jamie531

3 Year Member
Well its nice to see im not the only "noobie" on the forum. What T's do you have Aviculture? Im hoping my 2 are doing fine; they have both started webbing up there new enclosures. The only thing im slightly worried about is the versicolor has started webbing right at the top (of corse) and hes used the lid of the enclosure as an anchor point, now im worried that when i next need to open the enclosure its A) going to mess up his webbing and B) if hes in his web it will be very easy for him to bolt :/ Any tips anyone?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well its nice to see im not the only "noobie" on the forum. What T's do you have Aviculture? Im hoping my 2 are doing fine; they have both started webbing up there new enclosures. The only thing im slightly worried about is the versicolor has started webbing right at the top (of corse) and hes used the lid of the enclosure as an anchor point, now im worried that when i next need to open the enclosure its A) going to mess up his webbing and B) if hes in his web it will be very easy for him to bolt :/ Any tips anyone?

I've had Ts web their lids often but if you're careful and move slowly you should be able to open it enough to do what needs doing. Caribena versicolor (formerly Avicularia) are fairly placid and not so likely to bolt.

Latest posts