• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi from the UK

Jamie531

3 Year Member
Thought id quickly come and say hello to everyone.

I have been reading though the forum for a good few weeks now and now that ive taken the plunge and ordered a couple of T's I thought i better make an account. I've kept lizards and snakes for the last 15 years along with a few other "normal" pets but i'll admit i was always kinda of scared of Tarantulas; even though mine are still yet to arrive (thanks to how cold it still is here in the UK) i have already grown to love them though all the research i've been doing.

Once the weather warms up slightly Phil (the well known member on here) will be sending out 2 slings to me. One C. Versicolor and one T. Violaceus. I will post a couple of photos like a proud dad when they arrive and I look forward to becoming a more integrated member in this awesome forum.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi and welcome to the hobby :). You can't go wrong ordering from @Phil, I have a little one coming from him next week.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Phil really does seem like a spider pro; hes been really helpful and answered all the questions ive been naggin him with and more! What have you got coming in the post then @Enn49?

He's a great bloke. I'm getting a Pseudhapalopus sp. Blue from him on Wednesday and then I have a Thrixopelma pruriens coming from Poland the following weekend.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
He's a great bloke. I'm getting a Pseudhapalopus sp. Blue from him on Wednesday and then I have a Thrixopelma pruriens coming from Poland the following weekend.
Thanks form The kind words:)....I have a sub adult T. prurians...shame I didn' know lol

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thought id quickly come and say hello to everyone.

I have been reading though the forum for a good few weeks now and now that ive taken the plunge and ordered a couple of T's I thought i better make an account. I've kept lizards and snakes for the last 15 years along with a few other "normal" pets but i'll admit i was always kinda of scared of Tarantulas; even though mine are still yet to arrive (thanks to how cold it still is here in the UK) i have already grown to love them though all the research i've been doing.

Once the weather warms up slightly Phil (the well known member on here) will be sending out 2 slings to me. One C. Versicolor and one T. Violaceus. I will post a couple of photos like a proud dad when they arrive and I look forward to becoming a more integrated member in this awesome forum.
Glad you have joined @Jamie531. Great forum and people. But I would say that, I reommended them :)

Jamie531

3 Year Member
If anyone has any tips on these 2 species or suggestions on tools/bits i should buy my ears are wide open :) I want to get all the info i can to hopefully prevent the C. versicolor sling death phenomenon ive read about

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
All the Caribena/avicularia species need plenty of ventilation holes especially at the top of their containers, keeping them too humid is one of the main killers. Tapinauchenius are more forgiving but extremely fast although the violaceus isn't as quick as the gigas. Don't give either of them a cork tube or you'll never see them, I use a piece of cork bark leant against the back of the container so I can turn the container and still see them.
I recommend a pair tongs for doing maintainance.

Jamie531

3 Year Member
Thanks for the info, although ive read that the c. versicolor needs mainly lots of cross ventilation aswell as holes in the top so il be sure to have both :) I also plan on doing any maintenance and rehousing in the bath tub for the Tapi as like you said, they are true teleporters haha, definitely going to keep me on my toe's!

As for tongs is it important to get the pvc tipped ones or are normal metal ones fine as im planning to use them for feeding when the 2 get a bit larger?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for the info, although ive read that the c. versicolor needs mainly lots of cross ventilation aswell as holes in the top so il be sure to have both :) I also plan on doing any maintenance and rehousing in the bath tub for the Tapi as like you said, they are true teleporters haha, definitely going to keep me on my toe's!

As for tongs is it important to get the pvc tipped ones or are normal metal ones fine as im planning to use them for feeding when the 2 get a bit larger?

My Tapi rarely runs now but I do get some great threat poses.

I just drop the crickets in for mine so I just use metal ones but if you're going to tong feed then the soft tipped ones will be better.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tapi’s are my favorite!! I love their speed—and if they tag you—I understand it is not so bad. One day I hope to get all known species. Welcome @Jamie531 : you have made 2 great selections. TF is easily the best forum. Great people. International flare. No snark. And cool chaps like @Phil, @Arachnoclown, @Shampain, @MassExodus and too many others to mention.
Oh yeah, the gals are crazy smart and simply awesome: @Enn49 @Casey K. @Thistles and of course..... @Marija.
Sorry about all of you that I have forgotten to mention....it’s hard to breath with all of the poop on my nose!!!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tapi’s are my favorite!! I love their speed—and if they tag you—I understand it is not so bad. One day I hope to get all known species. Welcome @Jamie531 : you have made 2 great selections. TF is easily the best forum. Great people. International flare. No snark. And cool chaps like @Phil, @Arachnoclown, @Shampain, @MassExodus and too many others to mention.
Oh yeah, the gals are crazy smart and simply awesome: @Enn49 @Casey K. @Thistles and of course..... @Marija.
Sorry about all of you that I have forgotten to mention....it’s hard to breath with all of the poop on my nose!!!
I daren't ask why you have poop on your nose!....what ever floats your boat buddy....LOL

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
All the Caribena/avicularia species need plenty of ventilation holes especially at the top of their containers, keeping them too humid is one of the main killers. Tapinauchenius are more forgiving but extremely fast although the violaceus isn't as quick as the gigas. Don't give either of them a cork tube or you'll never see them, I use a piece of cork bark leant against the back of the container so I can turn the container and still see them.
I recommend a pair tongs for doing maintainance.
excellent advice on both. Nothing more to add :)

Latest posts