• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

H.Pulchripes

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@gex . You only ever see its colour when it's sat on the side of the enclosure . It's very dark when sat on the substrate.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Fuzzball79 . It's eaten every other day since getting it .I'm out of food for its size so I've prekilled a cricket. I'm sure it will eat it when lights out.
Hoping for a moult soon :)

Down with OBT

3 Year Member
So when do aggressive T's start getting aggressive ?
P. murinus have given threat pose at 1.25" Ls before, but haplo's usually don't get aggressive before 2" Ls

What you can be nearly certain about is if its going to get aggressive it will be there by 2.5" Ls

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Down with OBT ..Hell on wheels @ 2.5" ls..:)
Look forward to that then.
1 aggressive T is enough for me :)
Cheers for the info

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Starting to get bold didn't even move when I opened the lid :)
image.jpg

Therasoid

3 Year Member
@Down with OBT ..Hell on wheels @ 2.5" ls..:)
Look forward to that then.
1 aggressive T is enough for me :)
Cheers for the info
Sym, I'm envious. I've been watching this thread since it began. Also seeing a price drop here in the U.S. of late, down to 150 USD on one site.
I don't personally have any Harpactira species, but researching the Harpactirinae sub family, found the Ceratogyrus to be closet comparison. C. brachycephalus & paulseni are from the same region of Africa. These as adults prefer a drier soil, moistened monthly and allowed to completely dry out then repeat the cycle. As slings are more moisture dependant, haven't developed the wax like outer coat to retain body moisture. I've seen different levels of defensive behavior in the Haplopelma and Ceratogyrus species I keep. Never seen "aggressive" behavior of the 9 species currently keeping. Although that may change when the Phlogius sp. Eunice arrive, apparently these will chase for a couple of meters before retreating. Must be the Australian environment. Lol!
Anyway keep up the good work and keep us posted.
Happy T'ing.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Best wishes on a successful molt. Bigger is better, plus getting that adult coloration. [emoji3]
Big goof on my earlier post, Ceratogyrus are in the Harpactirinae sub-family. Yep, got a few of 'em.
Btw, still jealous. [emoji6]

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@sym Congrats on the moult. Doesn't it get frustrating when they hide away after a moult when all you want is to see them in their new outfits? My P. irminia has done the same.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Enn49 . It's up the side of the enclosure. Looks pale but with darker markings on its legs.. Looks to have all legs still attached :) . Heavily misted the enclosure last night so looks to have done the trick..

PamCz

3 Year Member
@sym Congrats on the moult. Doesn't it get frustrating when they hide away after a moult when all you want is to see them in their new outfits? My P. irminia has done the same.
HATE that. :(

My P. cambridgei is hiding between the leaves of her fake plant after her molt. Can see toes tips only! o_O

And...my Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi is barricaded in the burrow...that she NEVER uses. Woke up about a week and half ago and found she was in it and had built a huge mound of dirt in front of the entrance. I'm assuming that one of these days she'll come out. I bet she'll be gorgeous, too!!! :)

PamCz

3 Year Member
HATE that. :(

My P. cambridgei is hiding between the leaves of her fake plant after her molt. Can see toes tips only! o_O

And...my Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi is barricaded in the burrow...that she NEVER uses. Woke up about a week and half ago and found she was in it and had built a huge mound of dirt in front of the entrance. I'm assuming that one of these days she'll come out. I bet she'll be gorgeous, too!!! :)
lol....couldn't stand it anymore! I had to shine a light in the TINY hole between the dirt mound and the burrow opening. I saw a single foot. I tapped...nothing. I tapped again...a little movement. Good enough. She's alive...all I care about. :)

Normally, I don't disturb barricaded T's. If they're hungry, they'll come out. Otherwise, I have others to tend to. lol But, this one, I was worried about because since I've gotten her, she's had a couple tiny pieces of what looks like substrate stuck to her abdomen in two spots. Don't really know what it is. It could be an injury that healed (scabs)...could be part of her last molt, for all I know. I just got her a couple months ago. I was just worried that she'd had a bad molt in her burrow and *expired*. Just paranoid.

I have lots of T's in premolt right now: LP, GBB, Chaco, Avic avic, P. cancerides, and B. vagans. Should be an interesting next couple of weeks! :D Just had the first of several, my N. chromatus sling, molt today. Let the games begin!:)

Latest posts