• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

H.Pulchripes

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
He/she has been busy :)
image.jpg

Therasoid

3 Year Member
He/she will no doubt be hiding for the next month or so :(.
Does anyone know the growth rate of this T ? Cant seem to find much info on the Internet .
Can't say for certain, but most burrowers seem to be a medium/fast growth rate. Just a guess. My Ceratogyrus and Haplopelma slings molted about every 60 days til they were close to 2 1/2" DLS, then slowed down.
Congratulations on it eating and settling in so quickly. [emoji3]

PamCz

3 Year Member
Can't say for certain, but most burrowers seem to be a medium/fast growth rate. Just a guess. My Ceratogyrus and Haplopelma slings molted about every 60 days til they were close to 2 1/2" DLS, then slowed down.
Congratulations on it eating and settling in so quickly. [emoji3]
Another burrower, my OBT is on a 20 day molt cycle & nearly doubles in size w/ each molt. I agree, & would say it's likely a pretty fast cycle. Keep us posted! Would love to know more details on this species.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@PamCz . I haven't seen the sling since a couple of day since getting it until now. It blocked its entrance off so I thought it was in premoult but it's made a new entrance so I offered a small cricket it's been killed and left .
It's currently sat at its entrance .

PamCz

3 Year Member
Hmmmm. My B smithi did that. Right before molting, she blocked herself into her burrow. I dropped a cricket in. She killed it and left it outside the burrow. Then, molted. Almost like a territorial kill. I wonder if they do that... I guess so. *shrug*

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Be interesting to see it after a moult. I've been feeding it well since getting it so fingers crossed :)

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hmmmm. My B smithi did that. Right before molting, she blocked herself into her burrow. I dropped a cricket in. She killed it and left it outside the burrow. Then, molted. Almost like a territorial kill. I wonder if they do that... I guess so. *shrug*
I would imagine it's a defensive behaviour. They're at their most vulnerable when they molt, so getting rid of a potential hazard would make sense. The only time I've ever seen any of my Ts flick hair was when I tried to feed my A. genic in while she was in premolt and didn't want the cricket near her.

Anyway, I hope Sym's H. Pulchripes makes an occasional appearance. They're too beautiful to hide all the time, lol.

PamCz

3 Year Member
Yep...I've noticed them hair their food when in pre-molt. Makes me laugh, actually. :D I assumed the B. smithi was, indeed, eliminating a threat. Cool to see. They'll hair & avoid it if possible...but will kill & leave it when necessary.

Last edited:

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So when do aggressive T's start getting aggressive ?
I will try get some good pictures if and when it lets me lol .
Not much info on the internet. caresheets or natural habitat.

PamCz

3 Year Member
So when do aggressive T's start getting aggressive ?
I will try get some good pictures if and when it lets me lol .
Not much info on the internet. caresheets or natural habitat.
Geez...reclusive little buggers. The Greta Garbo of the T world....lol. Sometimes I wish I had a motion-activated, night vision camera. It would be cool to see what happens while I sleep...and they play! :T:

PamCz

3 Year Member
Re: the aggressive thing...dunno! I have a few aggy types...but they're little and I have no experience raising them before now, sooo....yeah...no idea. Maybe someone else with experience actually knows. I was wondering that myself. I think it depends on the species, too. Some will threat pose as little juvies. Like P. cancerides. Nasty little dudes. haha

Therasoid

3 Year Member
My little sling is out and about tonight.View attachment 9923
I'm sooooo jealous. [emoji6]

Awesome, its sounds like its getting comfortable in your care. How's it eating? And what prey item?

The price of just 1 here is more than I spent on the 16 that arrived today, including overnight shipping fee. [emoji20]

Maybe 2016 the cost will be somewhat lower.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Therasoid . It's been eating well. diet so far is small crickets/mealworms. It seems to be settling in just fine. I will feed it well for the next few months . Looking forward to seeing it grow and colour to.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not much of a update. I'm just passing on what I see lol :)

Just a few legs sticking out tonight .
image.jpg

Last edited:

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yay! Great you get to see it. It must have settled in properly now and feels safe enough to explore (or it's hungry, lol).