• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

H.Pulchripes

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
hi guys/girls. I've seen some H.Pulchripes slings for sale, does anyone know if they are suitable for a beginner??

Many thanks

Sym

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've spoken to lee at TSS and he says the H.Pulchripes is a good T for a beginner like myself.
It will be here on Wednesday :)
Yes of coarse I will post pics lol ;-)

Sym

Ghost

3 Year Member
I've never kept this particular T but having kept other African and Asian OW I'll take a guess that their probably pretty fast,defensive and with venom at the higher end of the scale and just as comfortable to stand and fight rather than run and hide,so probably not the best T for beginners.
So I suppose the question is do you think you are ready for a T that will be by far the fastest and most defensive and capable of ruining your week if you where to get tagged that you have in your collection this far.
Now with all that said you seem to have learned well in your short time in the hobby and don't come across as someone that takes risks with their T's,so with a few precautions when it comes to feeding and enclosure maintenance and rehousing then I'm sure you would be fine with one,at the end of the day it's only you that will no if your going to be comfortable dealing with these type of T's .....

Ghost

3 Year Member
I've spoken to lee at TSS and he says the H.Pulchripes is a good T for a beginner like myself.
It will be here on Wednesday :)
Yes of coarse I will post pics lol ;-)

Sym
A well if that's the case don't take any notice of my previous post,I clearly don't know what I'm talking about lol,although in my defence I did say it was a guess...

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Ghost . Thanks for the input :)..
Only time will tell :).. Very cool looking T.. Will keep you posted how it is..

Ghost

3 Year Member
@Ghost . Thanks for the input :)..
Only time will tell :).. Very cool looking T.. Will keep you posted how it is..

Yeah please keep us posted on its temperament,as I said I haven't kept these before so would be very interested to get a first hand account on what their like to keep.
I also just had a quick look on the TSS website and noticed that for the disposition rating there's just question marks and a suitability of rating 3 so that's the same for a P.ornata and they can pack a punch,so I would recommend that when it arrives you approach with caution just in case it turns out to be hell on wheels lol....

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Can't be any more aggressive then the ex girlfriend ;)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The way I see it is if I can cope with an OBT as a first T you can cope with an H. Pulchripes. Mike's Basic Tarantula says it's laid back.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Enn. I'm hoping it is :). Very excited.. I did look at a few care sheets but decided to contact lee at TSS just to make sure.
I like there are people like yourself and ghost on here to give guidance :).

How's the midnight blue getting on ?

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Ghost . I don't have any aggressive T's in my collection as I've only been keeping them since November (14).
My 2 new T's coming are the H.Pulchripes.
And the Oligoxystre diamantinensis
I will definitely keep you posted on the H.Pulchripes. I wonder what colour it will be when it turns up ?

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Can't be any more aggressive then the ex girlfriend ;)
Your ex is an H. minax? Lmao!
Seriously though, I've got 2 @ sling stage, very good eaters, both attack with a vengeance. One heads to its burrow when its enclosure is disturbed. The other gets in the center and gives the threat posture. Both started webbing and rearranging their substrate in 24 hours of rehousing in 16 oz. containers.
I think you'll be ok with them, from owners on another forum have stated theirs are pretty docile til they are in premolt. They seemed to be more defensive during that stage.
Just give them the respect they deserve and be prepared for the unexpected. [emoji3]

Sorry, forget the above, was thinking G. pulchripes.[emoji17]
You're getting Harpactira pulchripes, a very defensive, leave me alone species. Not a species for a beginner more for a novice. IMO Being they are OW and African in origin. Since you already bought them use extreme care when rehousing, very skittish and a bite before flight.

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hey, sym, I'm no expert. I've only been in the hobby a year and still got an awful lot to learn.I'm always hear for moral support though.

The Midnight Blue is doing fine. It's dug a nice little hole and usually all I see is its butt just occasionally I see a few legs if I'm lucky.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Therasoid ..on a serious note thanks for the info sounds like I've thrown myself in the deep end lol. I don't handle any of my T's and all my deli cup style enclosure are within a exo terra 12x12 tank . Still excited even if hell on wheels is coming as ghost says :)
I will do some more reading up see what I can find .

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good luck! They're beautiful looking spiders right enough (quite expensive, too, aren't they. I think I saw a sling for over £100).
Looking forward to some photos... if you survive the unpacking and rehousing that is, lol (just kidding, you'll be fine).

Ghost

3 Year Member
@Ghost . I don't have any aggressive T's in my collection as I've only been keeping them since November (14).
My 2 new T's coming are the H.Pulchripes.
And the Oligoxystre diamantinensis
I will definitely keep you posted on the H.Pulchripes. I wonder what colour it will be when it turns up ?

That's a good question on the colour I wouldn't mind seeing what they look like as slings myself,maybe Therasoid will post a pic of his and save us the wait till Wednesday,I was also looking at TSS there and noticed that they've take them down now you must have got the last one....

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Fuzzball79 . Yeah cheers for that lol..
Be interesting to see what's it's like .
I paid £70 for 2cm sling.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
image.jpg
Found this on the net.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
@Therasoid ..on a serious note thanks for the info sounds like I've thrown myself in the deep end lol. I don't handle any of my T's and all my deli cup style enclosure are within a exo terra 12x12 tank . Still excited even if hell on wheels is coming as ghost says :)
I will do some more reading up see what I can find .
Lol!
You'll be fine, as Ghost said, "hell on wheels", they are very fast, equal to if not faster than H. lividum. Don't underestimate their speed and tenacity. They are a gorgeous T, a golden body accented with blue tipped legs. Will be a great addition to your collection. [emoji3]

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here's my list I've collected since November last year.
1. B.Albop
2. P.Parvulus
3. B.Emilia
4. L.parahybana
5. G.Pulchra
6.B.Vagans
7. C.Cynaeopubescens
8. H. Incei
9. H. Incei
10. G.Pulchripes
11. B.Auratum
12. E.Weijenberghi
13. E. SP "RED"
14. T.Lagunas
15.B.Smithi
16. H.Pulchripes .coming
17. Oligoxystre diamantinensis.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Very nice mix you've acquired in a short time.

#2, 11, 13 are on my want list. My collection is about 85% OW, mostly African species. Wanting to add some Aussie species when they become available.

Latest posts