• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Good Tarantulas For Beginners?

nedaK

Hey everybody! I am looking to buy my first T, and need a species that fits my requirements, hoping y'all could help me

• New World
  • Docile, passive
  • Slow
  • Cool looking
  • Good for beginners
  • And my biggest requirment: NON-DANGEROUS VENOM!!! by this I mean it isn't dangerous if you get bit, and it hurts minimally. I have a cat and young kids in my house. Im pretty young myself, only 13
  • Bite at a very last resort
Please give me a specimen or species that fit these requirements.

Thanks!
-S.F.
Maybe a Green Bottle Blue (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens)?

Avicularia Kael

I have a 1/2" B. albopilosum. Adults are amazingly calm (usually), but slings are a whole other story! I also have a 3.5" A. avicularia as you know. She is skittish but has never kicked hairs or showed me threat posture.

Here are my main recommendations:

B. albopilosum (Super calm!)

A. hentzi (I want one so bad!)

A. chalcodes (I might be getting one on Saturday!)

A. avicularia (I have one and my brother got one today)

C. versicolor (Beautiful colors!)

C. laeta (They have 1" juveniles on Jamies. They seem to act like C. versicolor. They start blue but adults are brown with pink toes.)

Major 78

I think I may as well get the OBT... Not sure yet, but think I will. I can't say no to something I haven't tried.;) I will also be getting A. Hentzi, and maybe a Brazilian Redhead. Are Brazilian Redheads slow growers? My only problem now is I don't have enough money lol. I've saved up $60 (from selling ant equipment lol) and am currently selling some cool looking laser cut designs in wood. If you want to buy a really cool decor piece I suggest getting one, or if you just want to help me be able to buy some T's xD. Posted it in off-topic.

Avicularia Kael

I would just get the A. hentzi. The other two are a little harder to care for. You could get the Bumba cabolca (Brazilian Redhead) but as I said, a little harder to care for. B. cabolca is also a dwarf species (a extra small species is what dwarf means).

Edit: B. cabolca is actually not a dwarf.

Last edited:

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
MHO, get them both. Hard to turn down a free OBT. @Enn49 can certainly help you get acclimated with a fast species. Here is mine: She is very chill. She is easy going enough that she could potentially be held. But, please understand.....she is an anomaly. Most specimens are flighty and quick to anger.

upload_2018-12-2_20-1-28.jpeg

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
When I order the Aphonopelma Hentzi I can get a free OBT. I know it is the last T a beginner should get but... does anyone here think I should?

Also found Bumba Cabocla for a good price. It is 1/4 inch (0.635 centimeters), and I was wondering if these are super slow growing?
Given your age, experience level and your Dad's feelings on the matter, I would not suggest an OBT right now. Fear Not is a great seller, and I'm certain they will offer you something more suitable for your freebie. Just ask. If your dad figures out what an OBT is, he will likely be upset about it, and understandably so. Their bite is likely, and also "medically significant". They also don't fit any of your original criterion except "cool looking".

Major 78

Given your age, experience level and your Dad's feelings on the matter, I would not suggest an OBT right now. Fear Not is a great seller, and I'm certain they will offer you something more suitable for your freebie. Just ask. If your dad figures out what an OBT is, he will likely be upset about it, and understandably so. Their bite is likely, and also "medically significant". They also don't fit any of your original criterion except "cool looking".

Yeah when you put it that way, I feel pretty stupid about even considering it. I myself am not worried about it, I am confident I would not get bitten or let it escape (that's what they all said...) but my Dad.... Nope. If he found out I was keeping a T that could hurt me more than a bee sting, he would march into my room with some bug spray and a shoe. And, I have a 2 yr o and a 6 yr o who could have VERY serious reactions to an OBT bite since they are very young. I will ask Fear not to see if they could give a safer freebie of the same value or less.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think it was from China, seller wasn't totally sure. It was only 1.5" inches long.

They don't live that long anyway & I still get upset over it sometimes. They appear to be intelligent to a degree.

Hopefully I'll try again if I can get a better setup which would prevent this from happening. Perhaps if I glued that twig to the side and bolted down the enclosure, it wouldn't have happened. A 10 cent screw from Lowe's is all that I needed plus a drop of epoxy.

I'd have to research them to the Nth degree first.

Major 78

I think it was from China, seller wasn't totally sure. It was only 1.5" inches long.

They don't live that long anyway & I still get upset over it sometimes. They appear to be intelligent to a degree.

Hopefully I'll try again if I can get a better setup which would prevent this from happening. Perhaps if I glued that twig to the side and bolted down the enclosure, it wouldn't have happened. A 10 cent screw from Lowe's is all that I needed plus a drop of epoxy.

I'd have to research them to the Nth degree first.

I use a 32 oz deli cup with a damp paper towel on the bottom. Then put a twig that is as tall as the enclosure in. Feed fruit flies every 2-3 days and mist daily. They are much easier to keep than T's. They only live a year yes, but they grow dramatically in that one year.

Major 78

Well, some not so great news... My parents aren't OK anymore with me keeping T's. But they are fine with me keeping "true spiders" (that aren't venomous to humans). I'm probably gonna get some Jumpers and if I can find one maybe a trapdoor. I will use them to prove that tarantulas are fine to keep, and won't enslave the residents of my street. :D:p :T:

Pretty sad, but I bet I can convince them by showing them normal spiders are fine, thus tarantulas are fine. It will take time though...

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Maybe you should ask them about a harmless tarantula (ps that's all of them!!) especially new world species.

There ARE true spiders that, unlike tarantulas, have actually killed people. I'm thinking about Sidney funnel webs and Brazilian wandering spiders to be exact.

Black widows and the 6 eye sand spiders can also do lots of damage.

Size bears no resemblance to risk when directed are compared.

It sounds like they need to be better informed. Also emphasize that handling will be minimized.

Major 78

Maybe you should ask them about a harmless tarantula (ps that's all of them!!) especially new world species.

There ARE true spiders that, unlike tarantulas, have actually killed people. I'm thinking about Sidney funnel webs and Brazilian wandering spiders to be exact.

Black widows and the 6 eye sand spiders can also do lots of damage.

Size bears no resemblance to risk when directed are compared.

It sounds like they need to be better informed. Also emphasize that handling will be minimized.

I am getting some jumpers, my parents seem to really like them. They are pretty cute, but I don't like that they live for a very short time. I posted an ad.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Jumping spiders are supposed to be the most intelligent ones. They'll be quite interesting.

Also, there are dwarf tarantula species including some that are reported to be good for beginners.

Of course, show them a picture of something like C versicolor when they get used to the jumpers. C versicolor is incredibly beautiful and even spider phones will look at it differently.

Versicolor 2molt7.jpg
C versicolor Charles on decor 2.jpg

These are great beginner tarantulas, great first arboreals and not at all aggressive. Remember that they need an elevated water dish off of the ground and NO extra humidity whatsoever.

The wow factor should win them over but take it very slowly.

Major 78

Jumping spiders are supposed to be the most intelligent ones. They'll be quite interesting.

Also, there are dwarf tarantula species including some that are reported to be good for beginners.

Of course, show them a picture of something like C versicolor when they get used to the jumpers. C versicolor is incredibly beautiful and even spider phones will look at it differently.

View attachment 33811 View attachment 33812

These are great beginner tarantulas, great first arboreals and not at all aggressive. Remember that they need an elevated water dish off of the ground and NO extra humidity whatsoever.

The wow factor should win them over but take it very slowly.

I've heard these guys are pretty but... This exceeds ANYTHING I could imagine! Have you EVER seen those shades ANYWHERE else?!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
GBBs (Green Bottle Blues) are quite beautiful and like versicolor they go through dozens of color changes & one might find is way into my collection in the future.

They are terrestrial not arboreal. They are a dry spidee that webs a lot & grows fast, very highly recommended.

The humble B hamorii is also very good looking & perhaps the easiest tarantula to keep you can get. It's so easy to deal with that it's almost to easy.

Yes, they CAN but should not be handled barring emergencies or necessity. The issue is that if you do get used to handling these and then try that on another type (the vast majority of other genuses or species) you'll get bitten or the T will escape. Only a very small number of species are even remotely handleable.

B hamorii Samaria settles in 2.jpg

Overall, any Lasiodora species as a sling maybe about 1.5" to 2", is the best starter one. They eat fast, are fairly calm {not suitable for handling) and remain visible all the time once they get the adult colors.

L Klugi Justina stands tall 2.jpg

Still, there is never a wrong time to inject Pamphobeteous into the conversation. They are a moist spider. A big water dish with moist frog moss or other moss is mandatory. They are strongly sexually dimorphic & P sp machala is a good one to consider.

These guys are almost never recommended as a first one, perhaps because they have to be kept moist, but that alone shouldn't exclude them. Think of them like an orchid with a great appetite that needs a large cage and generously sized hide that starts out with a Christmas tree abdomen before getting adult colors. Also, a very fast growing one if you feed it frequently.

P machala Persephone super diva 2.jpg
P machala Persephone after labor day 2.jpg
P machala Persephone molted 6.jpg

The wow factor is just awesome with many of these guys.

Major 78

Ok, so I just had the luckiest moment ever. Lemme explain.

My birthday is on February 28, so I told my parents I didn't want a tangible gift, but to go to Repticon. We looked at the nearest Repticon in our area and decided Edison, NJ. I was super excited. But the my Dad sat down with me and said that I would probably have to pay for some of it. I was a little disappointed but was OK with the idea. We calculated gas, hotel prices, food, tickets, and how much I wanted to spend at the expo. Let's just say, it was a little pricy. NJ has some expensive hotels. I tried to come up with ways to cut down the total price without lowering my budget for Repticon itself. Couldn't think of any way except not eating for a couple days and seeping in the car, and my Dad and I don't want to do either lol. I was checking the Repticon website, and saw the other areas that that Repticon was being held. My Dad looked over my shoulder and exclaimed "Baltimore!" I was confused, I asked him why he was so happy. He said his best friend lived in Baltimore and he would happily let us stay at his house for a night or two. I was happy, since that cut down housing prices. The drive was also only 3 minutes longer than the drive to NJ. We decided to go there on the 18, spend the night, and go to Repticon on the 19. Now, I can show my Dad in person how beautiful and calm T's can be! And, the vendors can probably help explain to him that they should be child friendly. I am bringing $200-300 for the Repticon itself, and from what I have heard, that should be more than enough. I have to do TONS of chores to pay my Dad back for that though... My Mom, brother, and sister are not coming. I also got my dad to agree to holding at least 1 snake, and 1 T. Help him get over his fear and disgust of animals. I have wanted to go to Repticon EVER since I found out about it, but never though I would actually go. To all of you who go to expos often, it may not seem as big of a deal, but for me, this is a dream come true. Hundreds of people around me who won't think I am weird for thinking a tarantulas is pretty. I am so happy, you would have to see me in person to see the grin on my face that spreads across my face. Also, any other members going?

Latest posts