• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Good Tarantulas For Beginners?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
One problem, see now I have completely over come any faer of arachnids I had. My Mom is almost OK with me keeping them. But my Dad... he is another case. He is terrified of them. I thouroghly explained that there were no new worlds reported for killings, and new world bites only range from a mosquito bite to a wasp sting. He is terrified. How should I convince him? Ive gotten my 2 yr o brother to love them, but my middle aged father is scared as hell!

I was into my 60s before I overcame my fear of spiders by buying a T so there is hope for your Dad. Young children are much easier as their curiosity overcomes any fear they may have.

Greg

3 Year Member
Since there is advice on this thread for beginners, here's a bit of taxonomy protocol. The word "species" is both singular and plural. There is no such thing as a "specie". If you want to abbreviate species, singular, your write "sp.". If you want to abbreviate species, plural, you write "spp." Also, the plural of genus is "genera". There is no such word as genus' or genus's. Tarantula hobbyists take great pride in rattling off the Latin names of their species, but most aren't biologists or have learned basic taxonomy. That's ok; these long-time keepers are the best resources for your to learn about your tarantula. Biology training isn't necessary; learn from the experts.

Major 78

Since there is advice on this thread for beginners, here's a bit of taxonomy protocol. The word "species" is both singular and plural. There is no such thing as a "specie". If you want to abbreviate species, singular, your write "sp.". If you want to abbreviate species, plural, you write "spp." Also, the plural of genus is "genera". There is no such word as genus' or genus's. Tarantula hobbyists take great pride in rattling off the Latin names of their species, but most aren't biologists or have learned basic taxonomy. That's ok; these long-time keepers are the best resources for your to learn about your tarantula. Biology training isn't necessary; learn from the experts.

Already know that :). I've kept countless insects, but I did make a typo by saying "specie" was trying to type "specie's". But thanks! I can rattle on ant species, some termites, mantids, a little bit of beetles, but only a couple T species.

Greg

3 Year Member
Already know that :). I've kept countless insects, but I did make a typo by saying "specie" was trying to type "specie's". But thanks! I can rattle on ant species, some termites, mantids, a little bit of beetles, but only a couple T species.
My taxonomy comment wasn't directed to you specifically; just a general comment, as I was inspired to mention this after reading some of the posts on this thread. BTW I'm into insects too, and can sit and watch ants for hours.

Calico

3 Year Member
I'm not even close to the "pros" that most of the people on here are. I've only been doing this for a little over a year now. But these guys have been so helpful for me. You are doing the right thing asking your questions and taking their advice.

I am terrified of spiders but I have 3 T's now. I have an Arizona Blond, which was (accidentally) my first, and got me started on my journey. He was my "learning" T. I also have a B.Albopilosum and B.Hamorii. They all have very different personalities but all very calm. My husband is like your dad. Barely looks at them unless I force him too. I am like you, wanted something docile and easy to care for. I never ever hold them so my chances of getting bit are slim, unless I do something stupid (so far, so good). I always know where they are when I feed them. And I check and double check to make sure I locked their enclosures! The B.Hamorii is slow growing, which I found out after the fact. I got mine just a couple of months ago and it is only about 1 1/2" (and 2 years old!).

Best of luck to you and can't wait to see what you decide on.

Nunua

3 Year Member
You have got several good answers and the list you had written down was a bunch of nice Ts for a beginner. I got my very first T in February. It was Acanthoscurria geniculata. New world, absolutely gorgeous, easy to keep, relatively calm but always hungry. Though, because genics are always hungry, they tend to have ferocious feeding response so they can feel a tad fast/jumpy (mostly just because they're looking for feeders). My girl has never given me any trouble - She gets a tad grumpy when in premolt, but even then the worst she has done is kicking hairs.

After my genic I got N. incei gold (always hiding), B. klaasi, B. auratum, B. boehmei, B. albopilosum, B. albiceps (Yes, a bunch of nice Brachypelma spp., klaasi being my the most skittish sling), S. angustum (Previously Brachypelma angustum, my sling is a tad skittish), N. chromatus (easy to keep but a tad skittish. Tho, mine usually just curls into a stress ball. Behavior may change in juvenile stage), C. versicolor (very nice beginner arboreal as long as you remember efficient cross ventilation) and two old worlds, P. vittata and P. tigrinawesseli.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The brachys are certainly fun. Slings might be delicate but the 3 out of 4 I have which have survived are doing great.

B hamorii is almost TOO easy, if that's possible. Get the size you actually want because they are expensive and grow slowly.

For a first, I'd go with a faster growing pouncy species that is NW. Personally, out of my species I actually own, I feel that L klugi would be the best all around one.

The feeding response is out of this world. They have no real special requirements, but do like it warmer. Any Lasiodora species will be cared for identically.

Unlike my $200 B hamorii, a L klugi sling can be had for between $50 - $70. L difficilis or L parahybana are even more affordable and just as rewarding.

A geniculata and others like it in the same genus are also incredible ones to go for & will probably make an appearance as well.

For brachys, B vagans is very affordable and fast growing pouncy slings. They are black with a red abdomen & may also appear in my collection later. These are considered the most under rated ones in the hobby simply because of the low price.

Here's some L klugi pics.

L klugi Justina 3-13-18 1.jpg
L klugi Justina molt 12-28-17_1.jpg

These can get to as large as 8" diagonal leg span. Under some lighting, there's just a hint of blue, which is why I chose this species.

Major 78

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I haven't purchased from fear not, but they have an excellent reputation.

B vagans and L parahybana are also very low cost tarantulas, but still awesome. Consider these as your collection grows.

Nunua

3 Year Member
I think I'm going to get a Texas brown.

Aphonopelma hentzi is a nice choice - Also, I recommend you to start using scientific names when talking about Ts :) This may sound nitpicking, but common names have caused amazingly many misunderstandings and problems through the times.
Of course if you want to stick with the common names it's your call but believe me, everyone here will suggest the usage of scientific names.

Anyway, welcome to the beginning of hopefully long journey in the world of Ts :D

Major 78

When I order the Aphonopelma Hentzi I can get a free OBT. I know it is the last T a beginner should get but... does anyone here think I should?

Also found Bumba Cabocla for a good price. It is 1/4 inch (0.635 centimeters), and I was wondering if these are super slow growing?

Nunua

3 Year Member
I can get a free OBT. I know it is the last T a beginner should get but... does anyone here think I should?

Here in Tarantulaforum we let everyone decide what Ts to take, no matter if a beginner or an advanced one. When @Enn49 got her first T, it was an OBT. We'll give our recommendations, but won't lynch anyone by their choices. Any T can give troubles if not enough precaution are used :) With OBTs, Poecilotheria spp., etc. a person just needs to know what to wait for and learn from their own individual.

But in this case where you're a young person looking for a slow, generally docile species that your father would approve, I think the OBT is not the best bet.

Even if some individuals are laid back, in general they're very defensive. OBT is very fast species that will potentially bolt when startled. By bolting I don't mean that they will aggressively hunt you down, but they can be out from the enclosure in a blink of an eye when looking for a better place to hide. The venom causes burning pain, strong cramps, intense swelling etc. - @Shampain here can tell more as he has posted a video getting purposely bitten by an OBT.

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you have your heart set on a baboon, there are ones with a much better attitude. I never had any aggression issues with either M balfouri or H pulchripes & hopefully I get those 3 slings back if mature male succeeds at the breeder.

They are wicked fast so you have to have a plan. That's the biggest issue. Once they are settled in the enclosure, they'll run down the burrows when you maintain the cage if you tap the sides first.

C darlingi & C marshalli are also popular first baboons as well. They literally have horns.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
When I order the Aphonopelma Hentzi I can get a free OBT. I know it is the last T a beginner should get but... does anyone here think I should?

Also found Bumba Cabocla for a good price. It is 1/4 inch (0.635 centimeters), and I was wondering if these are super slow growing?

I'm the last person to tell a beginner to avoid an OBT as that is what my 1st T was.