• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First snake suggestions

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah that's what i've been reading also. Think i'll just get a bag of aspen substrate and pitch the carpet off the balcony, or that green on a brown box would be visible for a long ways. might be good to color a circle on it to sight in the rifles :)
I heard mix things on aspen. I can only say whats worked for me and thats news paper or eco earth coco fiber.

Telson

3 Year Member
If it's like thats the case. Should get a Retic, nothing better than a 20 foot snake thats about150 pounds.lol
Those cant be kept humanely though. Brian from youtube keeps his in a damned drawer..pisses me off. Snake keepers dont give their snakes a proper environment. They aint spiders. Those retics swim miles of land and rivers in the wild. Its screwed up to keep them in drawers. Smaller snakes in large enclosures is one thing. Huge snakes in pull out racks is horse****. Sorry for the rant, its a personal opinion not aimed at you.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Those cant be kept humanely though. Brian from youtube keeps his in a damned drawer..pisses me off. Snake keepers dont give their snakes a proper environment. They aint spiders. Those retics swim miles of land and rivers in the wild. Its screwed up to keep them in drawers. Smaller snakes in large enclosures is one thing. Huge snakes in pull out racks is horse****. Sorry for the rant, its a personal opinion not aimed at you.

One the other hand I've known people give them a whole room to live in.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Snake is still on hold. I was going to get it last month but with all the traveling for work i'm doing now i have to wait until spring. And that depends if i get an air conditioner to keep the room temps down so the snake has a cool and warm end in the enclosure. this summer my room averaged 80F, everything i've been reading and told from other keepers around here is they need around 75F for the cool and 80ish for the warm end.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I captured a very young juvenile black rat snake from the woods by the creek when I was a young man 10 years old and raised it into adulthood.

It lived for close to 10 years but ultimately died from some type of mouth fungus. Sadly enough at the time, I didn't know vets could probably treat this. Kids are idiots.

The length was between six to seven feet, but it's a thin snake and not to heavy. I always fed it live prey feeder mice from the pet store every 2 weeks occasionally a wild mouse if I could get one.

3 taps on the side of the cage was all it took to let him know it's dinner time.

I would clean the cage after it eliminated and then give the snake a bath by letting it slide into a gallon jug with warm water. I got him out with cold water, easy routine.

I'll always miss him.

I never tried anything dead or frozen but would always supervise feedings. None were ever refused....until the end.