• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First snake suggestions

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So now that @Psyrocke has me thinking about a snake again :p i've been researching the king snakes and corn snakes and milk snakes over the last few months since i posted on it previously. Looks like the corn snake might be the best for me.

My concern is the temps. Everything i've ready says to keep them in a heat gradient enclosure with a warm and cool end. That's not possible for me in the summer, no AC in my house and I can't afford to spend $300+ for a portable AC unit just to use it a few weeks out of the year. Already spent $200 on an evaporative cooling unit that doesn't really do much but increase room humidity and pushes air around for the total combined 2 weeks or so we've needed to run it this summer.

Average temps in the summer are 78-82 in summer, 74-78 in winter. All the snakes i've been reading on say you should have a cool side in the low/mid 70s and a warm side in the low/mid 80s. Winter time i can do this with a heat pad on one end, but summer my house is in that warm side temp 24/7.

So what's beginner snakes would work for these temps? or will any really thrive?

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Any that are common in North America would really work. Kingsnakes, garter snakes (super hardy), milk snakes and corn snakes are the best beginners from what I had been reading doing my research.

What my boyfriend does for his corn snake (its a snow/albino), is he has a lamp on one side of the 20gal, a log hide in the middle with one end under the light, aspen substrate about 3in thick so it can burrow and slither around in/through it and then a large water dish on the other side away from the light. That's it and he's had it for 15+ years and its probably about 5 feet long now, and he got it at the size my snake is. We don't have anything extra special about it, and I think our house is about the same as yours, somewhat cooler at night maybe though I haven't really looked at the thermometers. His parents house was always super warm though, and thats where he had it until last month.

My baby has his water dish in the shade, and his hide is where the sun puts some heat but he wouldn't be in direct sunlight in his set up. He is often also under his papertowel in the middle of the container right now as it is warm in the house. If he is still in his small enclosure by the winter, I am going to put some type of heat source for him to raise the temps, but that's because I am in New England.

When O get home I will take some pictures and post them, but currently his light is broken, but you could get the idea.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Most snakes are far more tolerant than people think. Corn snakes originate from around N & S Carolina so your temps will be fine.

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
When we got my sons king snake it was a toss up between him and a pine snake. The pine was really pretty and from what I was told very hardy snakes. WE went with the king just because it doesn't get quite as big as the pine snake.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah that's why i was looking at corn snakes they average 3-5' so a 20 gal aquarium will be fine and fit right on my dresser ;) after i move the T's to my desk that is. There's an LPS nearby (90 minutes) that sells all sizes of feeder mice and will order any type of corn or king snake on the market. Looks like i'll be making a stop there on the weekends my son visits his mom.

Gotta love the care sheets ;) "avoid sand because it may cause an impaction" then below that is a picture of a corn snake on sand o_O

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Gotta love the care sheets ;) "avoid sand because it may cause an impaction" then below that is a picture of a corn snake on sand o_O

I always preferred beech chip (fine if you can get it) or aspen as a substrate because you can spot clean without having to empty everything out and they can burrow into it if they want.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Ok as promised (remember his light is broken arm but normally it would be on):
20160804_191948.jpg
My boyfriend's corn set up
20160804_191954.jpg
My snake. The sun rises through that window so the heat comes in through that and his hide is on that end.

Attachments

• 20160804_191948.jpg
    20160804_191948.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 7

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nice! I'll have to talk to the snake guy at the lps see what he says also. Was told he's been raising snakes for almost 30 years so he should hopefully know a good setup for my conditions

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
I picked up that same set up for my gecko. It should house a snake for awhile. I put my little king in a 20 gal. Tank just so I don't have to move him again.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Techincally, it can work and it does reduce the amount of moving you have to do. As you can see in my thread (Meet Kable), mine is in a shoe box container set up the LPS had him in (gave it to me with him for free), but snakes tend to prefer cozy places/being curled up etc. At least that I was told by my people.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I picked up that same set up for my gecko. It should house a snake for awhile. I put my little king in a 20 gal. Tank just so I don't have to move him again.
I was thinking about that but I read larger tanks cam be intimidating to the hatchlings. So I think I'll go with this one then switch to a 20 in a couple years.

What about that reptile carpet? I've seen good and bad reviews on it for snakes

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
I was thinking about that but I read larger tanks cam be intimidating to the hatchlings. So I think I'll go with this one then switch to a 20 in a couple years.

What about that reptile carpet? I've seen good and bad reviews on it for snakes

My only experience with the carpet is in my tokay gecko enclosure and it is a pain because you have to remove everything and clean the carpet every week. Removing Loki involves welding gloves and a 45 :D:D
Also our little snake likes to burrow and stay hidden most of the time. I use the repti bark and change it every other month or so.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah that's what i've been reading also. Think i'll just get a bag of aspen substrate and pitch the carpet off the balcony, or that green on a brown box would be visible for a long ways. might be good to color a circle on it to sight in the rifles :)

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So now that @Psyrocke has me thinking about a snake again :p i've been researching the king snakes and corn snakes and milk snakes over the last few months since i posted on it previously. Looks like the corn snake might be the best for me.

My concern is the temps. Everything i've ready says to keep them in a heat gradient enclosure with a warm and cool end. That's not possible for me in the summer, no AC in my house and I can't afford to spend $300+ for a portable AC unit just to use it a few weeks out of the year. Already spent $200 on an evaporative cooling unit that doesn't really do much but increase room humidity and pushes air around for the total combined 2 weeks or so we've needed to run it this summer.

Average temps in the summer are 78-82 in summer, 74-78 in winter. All the snakes i've been reading on say you should have a cool side in the low/mid 70s and a warm side in the low/mid 80s. Winter time i can do this with a heat pad on one end, but summer my house is in that warm side temp 24/7.

So what's beginner snakes would work for these temps? or will any really thrive?
Ball pythons are pretty easy to take care of. But they care kinda like pet rocks they dont move around alot. But will be easy to handle. Ive come to really like boas since they are more active. But a boa will he much large then a BP. But i have heard corn snakes are great staters. Good luck with what ever you pick. Snakes are pretty awesome

Latest posts