• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Does your T have arachgoraphobia?

swimbait

3 Year Member
My marshalli was by far the worst. But she got moved to three inches of substrate. I was tired of wondering. I never saw her, not since a week after putting her in 8 inches of substrate. Not even a leg. Almost a year as a no show. Nuh uh. Not in this dojo.

Hmmmm, was considering rehousing my marshalli into a deep enclosure for at least 8 inch of sub, reconsidering now. For a while, it stayed out in the open above it's burrow but this past month after its last molt its been hiding. I have a feeling I would face the same situation as you if I rehoused into it

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hmmmm, was considering rehousing my marshalli into a deep enclosure for at least 8 inch of sub, reconsidering now. For a while, it stayed out in the open above it's burrow but this past month after its last molt its been hiding. I have a feeling I would face the same situation as you if I rehoused into itQUOTE]
I like them to be happy, but my marshalli never even showed legs. She's webbing the hell out of her new house, like an obt. At least I know she's alive :)

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
P muticus, gender not yet known but I suspect female based on ventral sightings.
This is the last time I saw her. Feb 20 2014. Now she is a good 2" (based on found exuviums) and will be due for her final rehousing after the next molt; I am not looking forward to it.
20140220_193059.jpg

Last edited:

Thistles

3 Year Member
That's a fast growing P. muticus!

Two days ago I saw my adult Idiothele mira for the first time since August, and by "saw" I mean her toes as she grabbed a cricket. I assume she molted, but she hasn't kicked out an exuvia yet. I don't have them anymore, but my Psednocnemis brachyramosa were extremely reclusive. I had two mature and had no idea when; they never kicked out the sheds.

Bugmom

3 Year Member
Definitely my blue fang as well. My Kochiana brunnipes would also prefer to never see the light of day.

Edited to add: My balfouri hid all the time too. If he'd lived to be larger, maybe he would have been out more, but maybe not.

Last edited:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
After posting by picture collection on 1st January, there was a notable ommission. My Monocentropus balfouri - Socotra Island Blue Baboon - "Skai"

This lovely little T has been hunkered up in her new enclosure where it has built some wonderful webbing and tunnels so I can only assume that it has a severe case of Arachgroaphobia.... in other words a spider with a fear* of leaving the house....lol

So my fellow forum buddies, and just for a bit of fun, what T do you have with a similar condition? Let's have name, pet name and date last seen shall we then we can build up a day count for the winner.

Just for a bit of fun here is Skai....with the front door well and truly shut on me and my prying camera. Not been seen since rehoused 45 days ago.
View attachment 13357
* I know it is not really "fear" and it is natural bahaviour but thought it would make a good thread and a new word! Maybe I need to get out more and meet more interesting people!!!!
This sounds like about 70 percent of tarantulas in general. Just seems like a tarantula reacting to an external stimulant.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's a fast growing P. muticus!

Two days ago I saw my adult Idiothele mira for the first time since August, and by "saw" I mean her toes as she grabbed a cricket. I assume she molted, but she hasn't kicked out an exuvia yet. I don't have them anymore, but my Psednocnemis brachyramosa were extremely reclusive. I had two mature and had no idea when; they never kicked out the sheds.
You are right. I went back and Checked the photo date, it was 2014 not 2015.

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
my b. smithi always hid in her hide since the day I got her up until her recent molt and now she is out and about a lot of the time but will still bolt into her hide as soon as she realizes I am there lol

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know from experience that hiders can be drawn out by a heat source. I've considered getting a few heat mats and thermostats and experimenting with it. Maybe if done right, my shelves could be custom heated for better viewing pleasure. Imagine having your obts and psalmopoeus sitting pretty on display like NW terrestrials. Maybe ill do that soon, play around with it.

BLUE BEAUTY

3 Year Member
definitely Jade and Fireball both hide. I never see fireball outside of his hide and Jade rarely comes out of her burrow.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This sounds like about 70 percent of tarantulas in general. Just seems like a tarantula reacting to an external stimulant.
You are probably right but thought it would be fun to see if there was a group of Ts that had a penchant for this more than others. Like I said, probably need to get out more myself....lol

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Definitely my blue fang as well. My Kochiana brunnipes would also prefer to never see the light of day.

Edited to add: My balfouri hid all the time too. If he'd lived to be larger, maybe he would have been out more, but maybe not.

My 2 K. brunnipes have always burrowed to the sides of their containers so I can still see them but they have started to appear in the opening s of their burrows more now. I find quite a few do that and it's so nice to be able to watch them busy underground.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
P muticus, gender not yet known but I suspect female based on ventral sightings.
This is the last time I saw her. Feb 20 2014. Now she is a good 2" (based on found exuviums) and will be due for her final rehousing after the next molt; I am not looking forward to it.
View attachment 13372
Good luck with the rehousing....lol You are Deffo the front runner at the moment I reckon.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My 2 K. brunnipes have always burrowed to the sides of their containers so I can still see them but they have started to appear in the opening s of their burrows more now. I find quite a few do that and it's so nice to be able to watch them busy underground.
I agree, I have turned some resin burrows vertically so that I will be able to see the avics tucked up all nice and cosy....if they decide to use that is as logs/leaf clusters will be in there too.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You are probably right but thought it would be fun to see if there was a group of Ts that had a penchant for this more than others. Like I said, probably need to get out more myself....lol
Are you referring to species/genera that are more secretive? As far as hating light goes, pretty much all Old Worlds seem very sensitive to bright lights. Species that I've noticed from my own experiences that seem really sensitive in particular include Heteroscodra maculata, Stromatopelma calceatum, Pterinochilus sp. , Lampropelma sp., Haplopelma sp., some Poecilotheria sp. I've noticed that some, like Augacephalus sp. And Ceratogyrus sp. Don't seem as sensitive to it, but I'm sure if you shined a flashlight beam on them long enough they'd eventually get annoyed by it. As for New Worlds, I can say that Ephebopus species appear very sensitive to light, Some of the Psalmopoeus sp do as well (especially irminia), and Tapinauchenius.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Are you referring to species/genera that are more secretive? As far as hating light goes, pretty much all Old Worlds seem very sensitive to bright lights. Species that I've noticed from my own experiences that seem really sensitive in particular include Heteroscodra maculata, Stromatopelma calceatum, Pterinochilus sp. , Lampropelma sp., Haplopelma sp., some Poecilotheria sp. I've noticed that some, like Augacephalus sp. And Ceratogyrus sp. Don't seem as sensitive to it, but I'm sure if you shined a flashlight beam on them long enough they'd eventually get annoyed by it. As for New Worlds, I can say that Ephebopus species appear very sensitive to light, Some of the Psalmopoeus sp do as well (especially irminia), and Tapinauchenius.
Was against the 70% comment really :)

Latest posts