• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Does your T have arachgoraphobia?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
After posting by picture collection on 1st January, there was a notable ommission. My Monocentropus balfouri - Socotra Island Blue Baboon - "Skai"

This lovely little T has been hunkered up in her new enclosure where it has built some wonderful webbing and tunnels so I can only assume that it has a severe case of Arachgroaphobia.... in other words a spider with a fear* of leaving the house....lol

So my fellow forum buddies, and just for a bit of fun, what T do you have with a similar condition? Let's have name, pet name and date last seen shall we then we can build up a day count for the winner.

Just for a bit of fun here is Skai....with the front door well and truly shut on me and my prying camera. Not been seen since rehoused 45 days ago.
20160102_091411.jpg
* I know it is not really "fear" and it is natural bahaviour but thought it would make a good thread and a new word! Maybe I need to get out more and meet more interesting people!!!!

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've had a few slings that have hidden away for long periods and some I have started to worry about. The most recent was my Christmas present from my son which arrived on Nov 7th, a Neostenotarsus sp Suriname called Kalina, and hadn't been seen since until a few legs appeared out of a new hole on Dec 31st.

My Heteroscodra maculata, Kofi, hasn't been seen since it arrived on Sept 8th although there are new holes appearing on a regular basis.

The one that hides most though has to be my OBT, Zera. She has been out and about over Christmas (last seen Dec 26th) and moulted but now she has barricaded herself in again so I guess it will be 3-4 months before I see her again.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've had a few slings that have hidden away for long periods and some I have started to worry about. The most recent was my Christmas present from my son which arrived on Nov 7th, a Neostenotarsus sp Suriname called Kalina, and hadn't been seen since until a few legs appeared out of a new hole on Dec 31st.

My Heteroscodra maculata, Kofi, hasn't been seen since it arrived on Sept 8th although there are new holes appearing on a regular basis.

The one that hides most though has to be my OBT, Zera. She has been out and about over Christmas (last seen Dec 26th) and moulted but now she has barricaded herself in again so I guess it will be 3-4 months before I see her again.
Had a feeling OBT would feature heavily on the list....lol. it's weird how we get stressed by them hiding tho and feel a constant need to destroy what they have lovingly built to keep them happy just to put our minds at rest.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My regalis, hands down. She's a young adult female, and if there is any light visible, she wont be. If she sees me creeping up at night, she runs in her cork tube immediately. Great spider, but she's almost as bad as my marshalli about hiding. Or my lividus.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My regalis, hands down. She's a young adult female, and if there is any light visible, she wont be. If she sees me creeping up at night, she runs in her cork tube immediately. Great spider, but she's almost as bad as my marshalli about hiding. Or my lividus.
Thanks for adding to the list. My P. Metallica has the same approach to light. She lives next to my bed and hides when I go to bed.....like most women I know....lol

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Had a feeling OBT would feature heavily on the list....lol. it's weird how we get stressed by them hiding tho and feel a constant need to destroy what they have lovingly built to keep them happy just to put our minds at rest.

I thought I'd managed to stop doing that but I was beginning to worry about the N. sp Suriname with it being a present and had decided to explore the vial until a hole appeared and then a few legsso I know it's ok now.

Thanks for adding to the list. My P. Metallica has the same approach to light. She lives next to my bed and hides when I go to bed.....like most women I know....lol

My P. metallica is odd, she hides away at night and comes out during the day, every day unless she's moulting. Her viv is in a fairly dark spot though.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My marshalli was by far the worst. But she got moved to three inches of substrate. I was tired of wondering. I never saw her, not since a week after putting her in 8 inches of substrate. Not even a leg. Almost a year as a no show. Nuh uh. Not in this dojo.

Just1moreT

3 Year Member
After posting by picture collection on 1st January, there was a notable ommission. My Monocentropus balfouri - Socotra Island Blue Baboon - "Skai"

This lovely little T has been hunkered up in her new enclosure where it has built some wonderful webbing and tunnels so I can only assume that it has a severe case of Arachgroaphobia.... in other words a spider with a fear* of leaving the house....lol

So my fellow forum buddies, and just for a bit of fun, what T do you have with a similar condition? Let's have name, pet name and date last seen shall we then we can build up a day count for the winner.

Just for a bit of fun here is Skai....with the front door well and truly shut on me and my prying camera. Not been seen since rehoused 45 days ago.
View attachment 13357
* I know it is not really "fear" and it is natural bahaviour but thought it would make a good thread and a new word! Maybe I need to get out more and meet more interesting people!!!!

I got 2 Sahydroaraneus raja slings and they don't even have a front door or back door. they just piled up bunch dirt with no way out it seems .would be nice to see the investment now and then lol.the crickets do seen to disapear :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes disappe
I got 2 Sahydroaraneus raja slings and they don't even have a front door or back door. they just piled up bunch dirt with no way out it seems .would be nice to see the investment now and then lol.the crickets do seen to disapear :)
Yes, I gauge my worry levels on whether crickets survive the night or not. Slings are by far the worst for hiding but I suppose it's hard wired in them otherwise they come somethings aperitif.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That is rather unusual
I thought I'd managed to stop doing that but I was beginning to worry about the N. sp Suriname with it being a present and had decided to explore the vial until a hole appeared and then a few legsso I know it's ok now.

My P. metallica is odd, she hides away at night and comes out during the day, every day unless she's moulting. Her viv is in a fairly dark spot though.
That is rather unusual for Pokies. Just shows, there is no "norm" with Ts really, and they will do what they feel comfortable doing at the end of the day ( or beginning depending on the T....ha ha)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

That is one on my wish list but I never see them for sale and I probably couldn't afford one anyway.:(

Suppose mine ain't too bad. She knows when I am about to get the camera out tho and will soon vanish if I am not capturing her best side :)

Mine is quite placid, I can open the door to take a pic and she just sits there posing :)

Just1moreT

3 Year Member
That is one on my wish list but I never see them for sale and I probably couldn't afford one anyway.:(

Yeah kinda high here in the states but lot cheaper in Canada like most usually are lol. maybe they come available where you are at a good price they are nice looking from pics I have seen

Mine is quite placid, I can open the door to take a pic and she just sits there posing :)
Wow I have hope now one day I might get see more than just a pile of dirt lol

timc

3 Year Member
My blue fang has been hiding since she got her new home. Crickets disappear in the night so she's in there somewhere. It's a shame she's such a beauty.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

That's lucky. They always make a good photo ☺

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My blue fang has been hiding since she got her new home. Crickets disappear in the night so she's in there somewhere. It's a shame she's such a beauty.
Thay are indeed. One day we will outwit them.....

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Same as timc with my cyanognathus.

But she's not the only one. All my burrowers are hidden in their burrow, sometimes only leaving their toes out... Namely, my Pelinobius muticus is always hidden deep down... All my asians and africans (exception with my C marshalli who stays out in the open) tend to be like this too.

Surprisingly, my E murinus has not dug since rehousing almost one year ago and is always at the surface.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Same as timc with my cyanognathus.

But she's not the only one. All my burrowers are hidden in their burrow, sometimes only leaving their toes out... Namely, my Pelinobius muticus is always hidden deep down... All my asians and africans (exception with my C marshalli who stays out in the open) tend to be like this too.

Surprisingly, my E murinus has not dug since rehousing almost one year ago and is always at the surface.
Just shows there will always be more character in Ts than anyone gives them credit for....lol

swimbait

3 Year Member
I haven't seen my G.pulchra since the day I got it almost 2 months ago. Completely covered itself and left no sign to where it might even be, then one day it was slightly visible from the side until it noticed and covered the opening, so I know its alive

Latest posts