• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crappy PetSmart conditions..

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's how they have the one in petsmart here. It's labeled Avicularia pink toe. At least they got the genus right.

I'm really tempted to get it but then I'd have to buy an enclosure to fit and decorations and that's too much at this time of year. That's one reason I buy slings. I can buy their next set up in pieces and not break my bank.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
yeah but they really are precious pets, so easy. You have to do what you have to do for you. If you can afford the spider and keep it in a habitat so it will live a long time, it is still up to you. If you already have a bunch of spiders, why add to it?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I thought the metallica turned blue. Thanks Kormath. At the pet store I got her from she was just labeled pink toe.

A.avic and A.metallica both have somewhat of a blue-green color to them. A.avic has reddish hairs on the abdomen while A.metallica does not. A.avic also has completely pink foot pads while the foot pads of A.metallica are white at the tips. A.avic only gets up to 5 inches while metallica can get close to 7 inches. Hope this helps a little. Yours looks like A.avic to me. I have a picture of an A.metallica in my photo thread and while they do look very similar to the untrained eye, after going back and viewing that pic and then viewing yours again, I still am leaning more towards A.avic for yours.

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yeah but they really are precious pets, so easy. You have to do what you have to do for you. If you can afford the spider and keep it in a habitat so it will live a long time, it is still up to you. If you already have a bunch of spiders, why add to it?
It's a collection hobby. There's always that one really awesome one you have to have to make your collection better then once you get it, oh look there's another I gotta have. That and raising them with their different needs and temperaments is just interesting and fun

DewDrop

3 Year Member
A.avic and A.metallica both have somewhat of a blue-green color to them. A.avic has reddish hairs on the abdomen while A.metallica does not. A.avic also has completely pink foot pads while the foot pads of A.metallica are white at the tips. A.avic only gets up to 5 inches while metallica can get close to 7 inches. Hope this helps a little. Yours looks like A.avic to me. I have a picture of an A.metallica in my photo thread and while they do look very similar to the untrained eye, after going back and viewing that pic and then viewing yours again, I still am leaning more towards A.avic for yours.

That is what I thought also. Thanks Chubbs!

swimbait

3 Year Member
I don't have the humidity very high but a little condensation does bead close to the substrate when I have the heater on just from the slight dampness..

Condensation = high humidity. How much ventilation do you have? Cross ventilation?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Also keep in mind that Avics will often web over some of the holes, therefore it's always a good idea to add a few more here and there for good measure. Most of the holes should be near the upper portion of the cage, since that's where it'll be spending most of its time.

Latest posts