• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crappy PetSmart conditions..

swimbait

3 Year Member
Awesome, I am definitely gonna order some as soon as I can.
If you have a container store generally around you, it is worth making the drive. The options there are endless when it comes to things you can house T's in. The amac boxes are awesome but once your T is 3.5-4" they need to be rehoused, they are my go to for raising T's up though.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Kymura The G. Rosea lives to be about 25 or longer. The age is still up for discussion amongst the experience hobbyists and even entomologists. I got a sling recently and she, (I could be wrong, it might be a he), is the most precious little spider I have ever spent time with, next to my A. Avic and at one time I had a Zebra Tarantula. Anyway, the attachment IS the biggest issue to have to over come when it comes to petstore animals, for me. I too have worked in pet stores and I know how well the animals are cared for and I know that the employees all have attachment to the animals they work with, or at least did when I was working, years ago. When I notice that no one really has an attachment to the animals, that there isn't any real knowledge to be given about the animals and the staff is more interested in why are you buying that item and are more curious about how you plan to use the purchase wanting a product opinion that I am likely to find some sort of reptile, small animal, bird or fish that might could be in better condition. However with the antibiotic resistance in society the staff curious about opinion is usually more concerned with why are you buying a fish antibiotic if you buy that, the birds are usually not budgies or hookbills, the spiders will be on paper towels as mine was in a kritter keeper, the reptiles and amphibians won't be a huge selection and there will usually always be someone by the feeder rats or other rodents. SO we kind of have to put what is first, first. Us. The people and our issues in society we have with resistance and even the risks that mammals and other pets bring with their contagious ailments. It was alright that the A. Avic was on a paper towel because I could see clearly that nothing parasitical was in the cage, there wasn't stool in the cage, there were not any left over food items, I could count all eight legs and the cage was clean. While the spider was drying out and could of been housed in something nice for it, it isn't really about that when you go to shop for a spider because you need to clearly see the health of the animal before you risk bringing it home. I am assuming we are all spoiled rotten with our "bottled", bagged, processed and sold little bit of nature that is clean and well kept for our tarantulas, that we like. In a pet store those things can hide ailments and create a problem for staff to keep clean so in effect it keeps the public safer for the tarantulas, reptiles, birds and small mammals to have less during their time for sale. I have worked for some awesome people in the pet industry also. I used to get griped at because I was worried I would over hand feed a hookbill parrot baby. I adore hook bill parrots. I know that they can be housed while for sale in small enclosures and do fabulous as long as they get a little interaction and well taken care of, that might make those who are ignorant to that just enraged to see such a small acrylic cage for 3 or four birds at one time, but it mimics a nest for the fledglings. Just an example. It could be that the G. Rosea in the petstore you have browsed has never been on substrate or is in a small cage that seems inappropriate and/or has been kept in an environment like it is currently in for awhile for a reason only known to entomologists as the bird vendor who was literally a scientist in the medical field selling birds as a gesture of hospitality to the public, because they knew the SAFE and proper way to do it. Hobbyists are not always entomologists. If you do decide on the G. Rosea in the petstore, do it for you, for the right reasons. There is a lot that we don't know after being out of the pet industry for so long, maybe the employees know something we don't and might actually be housing the spider in a way that is actually healthy for it for the time it is with them. When it is an animal in the petstore vert or invert it is kept in a way that is safest for public health and safety, so we can gripe about it wanting to spoil the animal, but we all should be aware, it is better for us to be healthy than to be at risk. They don't have to be attached to work or even care, because the guidelines are so stringent nowadays if they don't do their job right the repercussions are serious. Times are different. A new G. Rosea huh? They really do make great pets. Just a real joy. Watch out for the hairs however they are vicious even when they are spiderlings.
Avics don't need high humidity. They're up in the trees where there is constant airflow which quickly dries out most of the moisture and precipitation. They're not down on the forest floor where all of the puddles are.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
Avics don't need high humidity. They're up in the trees where there is constant airflow which quickly dries out most of the moisture and precipitation. They're not down on the forest floor where all of the puddles are.

I do know that. The humidity comes from the saturated tree bark with dripping leaves where things grow on the trees it is the wood that holds moisture for an extended amount of time before it rains again crating the humidity that is close to the spider, right or wrong? So given the fact that the avic's cages cannot be too tall because in the event of a fall they could injure themselves or get injured what do you suggest for the perfect or as close to perfect as it gets, cage? Type, where to find it and even if you can site price and suggest where to obtain it. Thanks. Your always knowledgeable Chubbs, I appreciate all your reminders.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
Although I would never use cardboard in any of my T enclosures, I could hypothetically put cardboard in my Avics enclosures and it would not get wet and rot. They don't require that much humidty, a water bowl provides enough as it is.

Well, misting it just is problematic, or if mist gets on it. It'll absorb water. Besides, I have Spanish moss that the avic can climb and web in. Any time wood rots it could make you sick. I don't have the humidity very high but a little condensation does bead close to the substrate when I have the heater on just from the slight dampness. I am picky about how the enclosures look. I like them to look nice and cardboard tubing isn't my idea of nice, just only in a pinch. It can be arranged with the Spanish moss where it is not visible and she can get in it, just things can be done with the tubes making a cheap way to be creative and keep the humidity down. My A. Avic has a habit of webbing her water jar. It is a small jar but tall. She webs on top of it and rests directly on the opening. So while we go on about humidity it is clear this spider wants more of it. She is doing great and so is the G. Rosea. Both close to premolt. At closer inspection of the G. Rosea it appears she is close to premolt and may not be in it. Once I find my camera cord I will photo them and you can tell me.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
101_0907 (2).JPG
101_0908.JPG

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Avics behave like common house spiders in the wild. They love buildings and trees, but they're also found in rolled up leaves on the ground. I think avics can tolerate high humidity just fine, even wet substrate, they just need lots of ventilation if they're going to thrive. Heavy ventilation is good for all species, but required for Avics.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
Avics behave like common house spiders in the wild. They love buildings and trees, but they're also found in rolled up leaves on the ground. I think avics can tolerate high humidity just fine, even wet substrate, they just need lots of ventilation if they're going to thrive. Heavy ventilation is good for all species, but required for Avics.

I am glad to finally get a response that shows that I am not nuts for keeping the avic's substrate moist. Yeah she has ventilation. She is a little sluggish lately, she moved up a little for me to take the picture, her web is below her. Her coloration, does that have anything to do with age? Can anyone guess an age on my A. Avic?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I do know that. The humidity comes from the saturated tree bark with dripping leaves where things grow on the trees it is the wood that holds moisture for an extended amount of time before it rains again crating the humidity that is close to the spider, right or wrong? So given the fact that the avic's cages cannot be too tall because in the event of a fall they could injure themselves or get injured what do you suggest for the perfect or as close to perfect as it gets, cage? Type, where to find it and even if you can site price and suggest where to obtain it. Thanks. Your always knowledgeable Chubbs, I appreciate all your reminders.

Injuries from a fall isn't much of a concern with arboreals, especially not Avics, considering they are built to take a fall, and are very skilled climbers. Avics actually do benefit from more height, as they will actually utilize it. Unlike Pokies, Psalmos, and many other old world arboreals that usually build a web from the ground up, and will even a lot of times burrow when younger, Avicularia and Iridopelma are "true arboreals" from birth to death. An avic that is on the ground for an extended period of time is usually a bad sign in my experience. For slings I prefer to use deli cups or plastic jars. For juvies, I use 1 Gal plastic containers from Walmart. The brand I buy is Mainstays. I prefer these because I can easily drill holes in the sides without cracking them, and there is a "lip" of sorts underneath the lid, which for me has often come in handy when it comes to keeping Avics. It acts almost like an extra anchor point. The Avic will normally spin its web between this and the plastic vines and/or cork bark branch that is directly underneath it., and a lot of times it deters them from webbing above any higher. For adults I like the enclosures that Jamie's uses, but if I'm low on funds, I'll stick with a larger tupperware container, usually one from Hefty. The one I have my adult female P.irmina in is roughly 12x17x14 inches.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, keeping it moist, not wet, is fine, as long as you let the ventilation dry it out before moistening it again. Generally, people don't keep them moist because its been blamed for deaths. High humidity, no ventilation, that will kill an Avic. I keep mine dry, with a water dish, but I do make it rain every few months, to simulate natural conditions. Which isn't a problem because I have good ventilation.;) If you like keeping yours moist, I would just check periodically to make sure it's not stuffy in there, and there's no mold. It's much easier to keep them dry though, with a full water dish. :)

DewDrop

3 Year Member
Well, keeping it moist, not wet, is fine, as long as you let the ventilation dry it out before moistening it again. Generally, people don't keep them moist because its been blamed for deaths. High humidity, no ventilation, that will kill an Avic. I keep mine dry, with a water dish, but I do make it rain every few months, to simulate natural conditions. Which isn't a problem because I have good ventilation.;) If you like keeping yours moist, I would just check periodically to make sure it's not stuffy in there, and there's no mold. It's much easier to keep them dry though, with a full water dish. :)

There is ventilation. She stays close to the top anyway. The enclosure is tall enough where the humidity seems to be thickest towards the bottom. Where she stays she has a fresh stream of air and I guess it is drying because she webs the top of her tall water jar. I do enjoy orchids, in case anyone didn't already know, the germination process requires a lot of sterility. I have a particular dislike of mold and won't tolerate it in an enclosure or anywhere else. It makes great art in a photo by those who are able to have the clean room, zoot suit and scientific lab to mess around with it, molds in general. However as a living thing if I catch it, it has to go. The last round I came across seems to resemble the penicillin varieties, however it has a small crystalline structure look to it, or had, rather. It was small, I caught it at a pinpoint size. I think it may of been introduced by a cricket. It had to of been as the substrate was barely damp nearly dry and a cricket had been introduced a few days prior, or it could of been on the spider and taken the time from receiving the spider to yesterday to develop.

This is exactly why exoterra or zoo med or products like that are something I am going to stick with and I am starting to question the benefits of buying tarantulas from online vendors. It was pretty dry so it was odd how it was able to just pop up like that. I don't see how ya'll can handle more than two tarantulas. Maybe it isn't just my husbandry it could of been introduced by these vendors online. I did get a spider from Jamie's and crickets from Josh's frogs. I doubt they were the reasons, it has been pretty warm this winter. It was odd because after I removed it, no more has popped up. I could of accidentally introduced it after being outside.

Tarantula husbandry is just enough busy work and check up on to satisfy me and since henpecking is apparently the new thing that women are not supposed to do to their husbands to lengthen their lives, the husbandry gives me something to crab about.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well buying from an online breeder is probably the best option around. Half of the time pet stores know little to nothing about the care of what they're keeping, and often times can't even tell you what species it is, or what gender, or what life stage it's at. I can't tell you how many times I've seen mature males being sold in pet stores, often for absurd prices. Most of these are wild caught and kept in poor conditions and don't have long to live anyway. With online breeders, the reliable ones know the exact species they're selling, are pretty good at accurately measuring them, and will often be able to properly identify the gender (if the spider is big enough.) I see no reason not to buy from an online vendor.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
Well buying from an online breeder is probably the best option around. Half of the time pet stores know little to nothing about the care of what they're keeping, and often times can't even tell you what species it is, or what gender, or what life stage it's at. I can't tell you how many times I've seen mature males being sold in pet stores, often for absurd prices. Most of these are wild caught and kept in poor conditions and don't have long to live anyway. With online breeders, the reliable ones know the exact species they're selling, are pretty good at accurately measuring them, and will often be able to properly identify the gender (if the spider is big enough.) I see no reason not to buy from an online vendor.

Yeah and the online breeder I do use without a doubt, has a solid reputation. Like I said I doubt it was their stock. The crickets I got from Josh's Frogs I know are not the culprits. Without a doubt as no mold is present in their warm and barely damp environment. It was only a spot in the Chilean Roses dryer environment. Conundrum. The thing is that substrate was microwaved for a good long while. I removed the Spanish moss because it was holding too much humidity. It can dry and be used later. So, the a. avic is being a snuggle bug and the webs it makes isn't a whole lot just kind of odd she doesn't web that much. Anything could be causing that? I do not intentionally handle my tarantulas. I only relocate them if I have to and I only do that if it is a must.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My parents bought a new puppy today so I drove mom to pick it up. The local petsmart had gotten their first T. Avic metallica and had it in a keeper with just a dusting of dry sub and a medium lizard water bowl. The girl in that section was so happy they finally got a T. Then my son said why don't you take care of it? It's in the wrong enclosure. She just walked away.

My son has wanted one for a long time. But we couldn't save this one. And it was almost full grown and he wants a sling.

I'm going to have to start avoiding the local petsmart now :(

DewDrop

3 Year Member
Speaking of Avic Metallica, notice how my avic who I assume is an avic avic is getting blue. SHe has gotten more blue as she has aged. Is she a metallica?
101_0912.jpg

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Unless I'm mistaken the a. Metallica is jet black with pink toes. The a. Avic has the blue and purplish abdomen with pink toes

Latest posts