• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Collection Growth. When to say when.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
house snake?

African house snakes are lovely.

I love hognose snakes, btw, they have a serious attitude problem..lol

I used to breed hoggies and there is nothing as funny as a tiny 6" hatchling in strike pose huffing at you. They are very good at playing dead too.

Attachments

• Hoggies playing dead.JPG
    Hoggies playing dead.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
When to say when?

When caring for them becomes a chore instead of a delight. Thats when you cut back and maintain.

This is great advice. I have gotten to that point before and I sold about half of what I had.

Right now I'm trying to decide what direction I want to go with my tarantulas, like do I want to focus on collecting one genus...do I want to only buy adults right now and no slings and just focus on having an awesome show case of beautiful adults...agh, decisions decisions!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Serious? they can emit that ungodly odor?

I did a summer job picking up dead livestock in high school, even that didn't smell as bad as the dead 4 ft Northern Pacific rattler we pulled out of a barn.

They can indeed. Some snakes musk and that smells foul too. I had some Northern Water snakes, as soon as you opened their viv they'd let rip and if you got it on you it was the very devil to get rid of.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They can indeed. Some snakes musk and that smells foul too. I had some Northern Water snakes, as soon as you opened their viv they'd let rip and if you got it on you it was the very devil to get rid of.
Scratch the hog nose of the list lol. But the playing dead was so cool!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i've been looking at snakes, but i think with the Ts i have, my dog and my boy another pet would be too much right now. Hognose are cool though, i've always liked them when i've seen them in the lps.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
i've been looking at snakes, but i think with the Ts i have, my dog and my boy another pet would be too much right now. Hognose are cool though, i've always liked them when i've seen them in the lps.

One snake would only take about 10 minutes a week of your time including feeding.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
One snake would only take about 10 minutes a week of your time including feeding.
Enabler!! :D

but it would also take up room that i'm out of ;) and money for feeding after it outgrows my roaches, plus the enclosure setup, Might have to buy pieces at a time...

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

but it would also take up room that i'm out of ;) and money for feeding after it outgrows my roaches, plus the enclosure setup, Might have to buy pieces at a time...

Ahh! One problem - they don't eat roaches. A hoggie only needs a 2' viv as an adult and 1 mouse a week.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

shows how much i know about snakes :p

so i'll need an enclosure, 5gal to start, then 20-60 gal for adult. light, heat pad, substrate, dish, hide, thermometers, decor, albino corn snake, and feeder to eat once or twice a week. :) have to price it out and see what i can do for a setup ;)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
hmmm scratch hoggies, babies here are selling for $90, juvies up to 16" $100 male, $130 female for the Western Hognose, Madagascar adult $150

think i'll go back to the albino corn snake for $30 lol

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
hmmm scratch hoggies, babies here are selling for $90, juvies up to 16" $100 male, $130 female for the Western Hognose, Madagascar adult $150

think i'll go back to the albino corn snake for $30 lol

Over here you'd get a normal hatchling hoggie for around £40 ($56), females are often more than males.